the newest clip

Discussion in 'Korea Open 2008' started by w3wmfhe, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

LHI did not just keep quiet. In the video, he was pointing to LD ans saying the shot was good. That made LD more angry.

2. super__gao

super__gao Regular Member

i hate to be the pessimistic guy here, but from what i've seen in big international tournaments, players will do anything to get that 1 point. and it's not just certain players from certain countries, i've many different players keep silent when they know the line judge has made a bad call.

could you rephrase that? i dont really get it :confused: sorry my english sucks:(

3. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    In comparison to LD, he can be considered mute.

4. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I was saying it's only human to keep quiet when a ruling is to your advantage, and it's not just in badminton.

Players will do anything to get that 1 point? I will have to disagree with that. I don't know which matches you watch, but in the ones I watch, players depend on their own skills to get that 1 point.

5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Adding a different angled scene..

..yeah, it's a bit more complete, but the scene doesn't show anything much new to what we thought happened. Hmm, i was expecting a different camera angle to the action, showing more towards LiMao's area just as LD's outburst occurred...
    ..i would somewhat concur, as i noticed throughout the whole match, LHI had a few complaints. Even then, his reactions afterwards were mostly calm; almost nonchalant..:cool:

6. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

That's because he was not the one got the bad call :cool:

7. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

What LM did was in his own words in the thread: "Reply from Li Mao" http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51838

8. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

LM was close to LD enough. ZB was seated on the side and might have been closer to LM in distance. LM jumped out of his chair and moved forward a couple of steps, directly facing LD and saying things LD could hear, but ZB could not because he was not facing LM at the time :eek:

9. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    So, you agree that LHI did not make much noise then? IMHO, LHI was pretty cool (at least on the outside) about the whole thing.

10. super__gao

exactly, it's human nature to keep quiet. but COULD LHI have said something about?!?!? of course he could have. and at 21-21 i don't think too many players would do the same.

well, anything, as in, argue calls, dive around, use mind tricks to screw with your opponent aka asking for breaks, refusing to change shuttles that kinda stuff.

11. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

I don't think LM was close to LD. If you check the video (the TV broadcast one), LM was just a few steps in front of his seat when the camera turned to him, and that's about 1/2 or 1 second after LD threw the racket. So at the moment of LD throwing, LM should be about two steps back and pretty close to his seat.

Also, remember that at that time, they are in a big room with thousands of ppl, and those ppl were all talking freely (LD has already made a scene on court and ppl must be discussing about this). When I was a student, if all the 100 or 200 ppl were talking freely, the teacher's words are really hard to catch unless you sit in the front few rows. Even when most ppl are just murmuring, the teacher's voice also decays really fast with distance.

I think LD could hear LM saying something, but I don't think he heard every word clearly.

12. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    So, arguing calls, mind tricks and stalling for time are exlusive to badminton?

How is diving around an unsporting gesture?

I'll grant you one point. Refusing to change shuttles is definitely something that you can only see in badminton.

Note in case someone takes this out of context: This discussion started when super_gao said that badminton is unkind and unsporting compared to other sports like American football or ice hockey.

13. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Usually, when u are at a receiving end of something that will favor, u tend to keep quiet. U can call it behaving not in a sportsmanship manner, but, that's within his rights to do so :eek:

I don't blame Lee Hyun Il for behaving the way he did on Sunday.

14. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

I think LD's "emotional reaction" as a tactic. He made a scene at the very first bad call. Also right after the 21:21 bad call, he chose to shout to LHI first -- it doesn't make sense since LHI cannot overrule the call, unless he was in fact trying to disturb LHI.

15. badMania

badMania Regular Member

What about football. Sometimes, when a player gets injured, the opponents will still keep passing the balls and occassionally, scored goals too :eek:

Yeah, the one at the receiving end complaint but to no avail.

Mind games, tactics, etc happen in all sports. Period.

16. super__gao

well thats not the players fault. if the referee doesn't blow the whistle then play goes on. if a player from the opposite team does help out the injured guy, and because of this the other team scores or something, then the guy who helped the injured guy will probably benched by the coach for the next couple games.
    again, in nature human beings are not nice

17. super__gao

thanks for proving my point. in nature, human beings are not nice

18. badMania

badMania Regular Member

So, Lee Hyun Il's reaction was natural :cool:

19. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    well i wouldn't say Lee Hyun Il was totally sportsman like, he did nothing to break up the fight =P, he stood away and let his coach and his opponent go at it...if he had any sportsmanship, or kindness as everyone claims he does, he would try to get in between and stop it. if a fight broke out in my match, i'd do everything i could to break it up. it's just bad habit to stand and watch. =P but that's just me. i'm not sure if you see a fight out in the street, if you would go try and stop it and be the nice guy. lol

20. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Most ppl will think: that's other ppl's business...so...why bother :D

I have witnessed ppl pickpocketing right in front of me...but...because I was alone...I would have risked being beaten up if I shouted out loud that there's a pickpocket here!

That's just human nature....being selfish-minded, isn't it :eek:?