Pain in the Hand

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by RyviuS, Apr 4, 2003.

1. RyviuS

RyviuS Regular Member

hey i was jus wondering i've been getting this pain in my hand recently. I think its cus i've been playing too much recently.

Its like stiffness in my joints past the knuckles and especially in my index finger.
    When i try to apply pressure like unscrewing a bottle cap it feels like my whole hand goes numb and freezes. *hurts a bit* I should probably go check it out..but with S.A.Rs spreading around i don't want to go 100 ft within any medical institution

2. Chia

Chia Regular Member

High School
    I think the same thing happened to my big toe. I just woke up one day and my toe started hurting really bad, i don't know what happened. But when i apply pressure, like walk and run it hurts really bad. And i cannot move the toe up and down for 3 days and after that it got better. If i where you i would give it some time and see what happens, if it still hurts for a week you better get it checked out.

Hope this helps

3. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

i think i might have a simliar feeling sometimes... i feel a sharp pain why i move my hands... i belive it's called carpral tunnel syndrome. if you do repetitive motions too much it'll pop up.

4. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Dont hold the racket too tight. That might be one of the causes of your knuckles hurting. Also, you might want to do some finger warm ups. It might help

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Hmm, not enough information to diagnose CTS.

6. patrickshum

patrickshum Regular Member

Network Planner
    if it hurts... let it rest for a while!
    don't play until it gets better

7. Oranjmaan

Oranjmaan Regular Member

student, Kumon Math Marker (w00t!)
    Might've pulled something, or overstressed the connective tissues and stuff in your hand. I have the same prob, more or less, with my elbow, and sometimes my shoulder. Also, your technique could be contributing to your injury, as improper swing or grip could cause stress.

8. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    try cracking ur knuckles, sometimes i feel a pressure build up in my fingers and knuckels - apparenlty cracking ur knuckles does loosen ur grip , but with us all trainnig i would imagine this problem is negligible.

i do it all the time and have never felt any ill effects, in fact it's probably preventing me from holding my racquet too tight

Neil

9. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    I used to have it all the time, but I found out later it was cuz I gripped my racquet too tight. I'm sure your grip is correct as I was only 6 or 7 that time. Lol. :D Maybe you played to much badminton?

10. RyviuS

RyviuS Regular Member

ic ic

Yea i believe its probably with the way i grip my racket or the physical grip itself may be too big. I'm guessing i should replace my overgrip and get a thinner one. ONLY PROBLEM IS HOW the hell do u put this stuff on! lol my doubles partner gave a few roles but i have no idea how to wrap it around.

About the actual gripping with the hand, does anyone have a site with actual photos? i ususally grip like i learned from a site except taht i commonly place my thumb on teh bevel sorta like i'm hitchhiking for a ride. Do u think that maybe the problem?

11. RyviuS

RyviuS Regular Member

1 more thing

About the pain i think its the tendons so it could possibly tendenittis or something such as carpul tunnel syndrome. i'd go check it out but with ppl catching SARS left right and centre i' don't really want to go to the doctors LOL :D

12. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    I would like to add..

Hi all,

I have a current injury at the moment and it only affects the right side of my right hand, mainly my little finger? The pain is actually coming from just above the wrist, i run my finger over something, and when it moves thats when i get the pain. Got a wrist support on aswell as Ibuleve anti-inflamatory gel that i rub in 3 times a day, and ideas what it might be and how to cure it (cheung?)

Matt

ps Picture shows main location on pain.

Attached Files:

13. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    RyviuS if you have stiffness in your index finger could it be some kind of Athritus?

Cheung can you comment on this as I also sometimes seem to get a stiff index finger on my racket hand and this is what I put it down to(not having a medical background). It seems to go away for a while and then just pop up out of nowhere again.

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Hmm, difficult one. My line is not orthopaedics....;) That's a high insurance premium specialty because of lots of litigation!!

Stiff index finger could be the joint, or the tendons. If it goes away and comes back, that sounds more like an inflammation - perhaps due to overuse. Any other joints involved. Any pain associated with it?

Matt's problem is interesting - how did the injury occur? When you move your hand does it hurt and in what direction do you move it to make it hurt? And how painful is it?

No magic cures for these small joint problems except for the time honoured rest.

Once I injured my wrist playing a squash tournament (after a very long break). Used to get pain on doing backhands just where the forearm connects to the wrist every time I played badminton. Very bad at one point. Orthopaedic doctor suggested a wrist arthroscopy. That was enough to scare me into taking some rest (ie playing less) and the problem resolved itself!!!!:eek:

15. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    If you play squash and badminton you must have one hell of an effortless backhand!

16. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Cheung,

Ok, try this. Put your right arm in front of ou, with fingers straight. Now, bend the wrist until the fingers are pointing the ground. This is when i get a pain in my little finger, and it seems to start from the area i circled. Possible vein / nerve inflamation. And maybe no badminton for a while? Only occurs when fingers are pointing / going downwards, and is a dull sort of pain. Occured about half way through the academy, perhaps just strained?

Matt

17. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    would u suggest strapping the little finger with the ring finger?

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

strain sounds like it. The area you circled looks like the area of the wrist bones. You don;t seem to have much restriction of movement. If in doubt, see a sports physiotherapist/sports medicine doctor/orthopaedic doctor for an attempt at a diagnosis. A few GP's have sports medicine experience but you'd have to ring your local practice to find out.

Don't expect any fast treatment for healing. For pain relief, your gel should be OK. It sounds like the active ingredient is 'ibuprofen'. Can look for this word in small letters on the tube itself.

Would an ordinary GP help? I think you'd be wasting your time as well as theirs.

19. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    It seems like the very last carple. The things is, if i go to a GP and get a referal to a physio, it wont cost nothing. Do you think its worth strapping the fingers together, to make it more comfortable?

Matt

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Double negative sentence structure - how much will the GP cost:D? If strapping the fingers together makes it feel more comfortable, that is one option. If you do that, don't strap them too tightly thereby cutting off the blood suplly to the finger.

I won't make diagnoses or treatment over the internet about other specialties. It can sometimes backfire;)