Penalty for Lin Dan

Discussion in 'Korea Open 2008' started by kwun, Jan 30, 2008.

?

penalty for Lin Dan

1. no penalty

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. small fine - (< US$1000)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. large fine - (> US$1000)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. suspension for 1 SS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. suspension for 2 SS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Large Fine &Suspension

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

+1........................................

2. nibaxiang

nibaxiang Regular Member

@Muddy_Elephant
    Seems things are getting more interesting in a way that Korean players may have to play against themselves in future KO. Then, KO will be the only SS tournament without any top 5 (or even 10) ranked man's singles players from other countries.

Is that everybody wants? :)

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Sometimes spending $1000 to fight in a legal battle over a $100 dispute is just silly

I'm confused, is your principal worth fighting for or not?

4. vching

vching Regular Member

Student
    its the first day of Chinese New Year today.... Gong Xi Fa Cai to everyone...

why don't we take a day off from fighting :)

5. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Firstly, and happy CNY to you too VChing.

i see how u try to dampen his (mcenroe) actions by using the term 'cursing' instead of swearing or using profanity, and not mention it was directed at the umpire. In my scientific opinion and mathematically speaking, angle of racket thrown is proportional to the degree of side one want to support in this debate. :rolleyes:

Thanks for your answer, I'll look it up myself :D.

LOL, cursing has same meaning as swearing, it's more commonly used, actually 'cursing' actually has a more grave meaning in Asian communities, like 'I put a curse on you, you are XXXX forever'. So, if I use 'cursing' it's more serious than 'swearing'. Msian English not so advanced as to use "using profanity" regularly, a lot of ppl on the street(no offense to any Msian) dont understand the term.

As to angle, I really didnt see it, in which of course everybody will have idfferent view. Badminton : same as earlier when only the official broadcast & Alphonse's vid were available, I thought LD threw it in the air & it landed in front of net on the other side. I would have said the same if happened to Taufik or LCW. And I'm not LD, Taufik, LCW, China or Indonesia fan.

from your basketball case above, would u say that LM had exercised the most force hitting somone in the KO incident and deserve the biggest penalty?

Sorry I didnt state it clearly.
    Since the article ended by saying it's the basketball incident is most downloaded vid in Korea, emotions run high, could mean Korea BA may keep pressuring BWF for on harsh penalty on LD.
    It's a possibility only but has happened bf. Ppl get angry, then 2X angry with the next incident, then triple angry... Of course, China BA will have their counter-arguements.

As to both the coaches, the badminton laws are even more vague, this could get messy. Cos both LM & China coach shoved each other (or hit as you say), all should get their penalty.
    I havent found any comparision with other sports with coaches going at each other.

#425 eaglehelang, Feb 6, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  6. eaglehelang

He he, Oldhand, you know very well in reality, BWF will have to dish out some form of penalty/sanction to all parties concerned, if not it would really "enrage other accociations", as taufik was penalised for walking out of HK 2006.

And yes, using technology would be very good.

7. eaglehelang

Yup, agree,many ppl already said that in the many threads about this incident, just this thread talk about the punishment part.

8. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Be it governments, the police, teachers, fire-officers or sports managers, it's only normal to revamp a set order when it creates flash-points :)

Rather than elaborate, allow me to put it like this:
    In any scenario, if a fight breaks out periodically, those in authority usually address the underlying cause(s)... that's how you prevent re-occurence :cool:

In this case, those managing badminton are free to dish out whatever punishment they want... spank Lin Dan with a Yonex AT-700, banish him to Isla Sorna, put him in a padded cell with Li Mao and that line-judge, exile him to a racket throwing range, whatever... but will that prevent another player from blowing a fuse when a line-judge shows how fragile the judging system is? :eek:

Let's get real ;)
    Beg borrow or steal... find the money for a reliable system!

9. nibaxiang

nibaxiang Regular Member

@Muddy_Elephant
    That's many of us (I can name a few) always emphsized in our previous posts. Then, we got labelled / named-called as such & such. As a mod, you seems to be one of the lucky ones. :)

10. Noridayu

Noridayu Regular Member

Childcare Teacher
    Dear Bc members

Dear Bc members,

After I read many comments on the forum, I would like to share my views with the rest of the members. A bad line call is not a new issue to the world of badminton. It has happened in many tournaments especially Super Series. It is difficult to challenge the linesman's decision as umpire will followed the linesman decision.I would like to suggest to WBF to have a system that can replay the incident after the protest was made during the match so that every party will be pleased with the decision.
    If the BWF did not do anything to curb the incident,more and more players will lose their cool and started to be violent in court and it will not benefit badminton in the long run to be the best world sport.It is wrong to show bad behaviour in court. As for Lin Dan cases, BWF has to investigate before taking any actions in order to give fair trial for both parties that are involved in the incident.
    BWF also needs to be firm in their decisions so that this incident will not happened again.As a Malaysian fans,LCW also faced the same situation liked Lin Dan during his final match of the SS last year but he protested to the umpire but his protested was turned down by the umpire. During the television replay, the shuttlecock is out but it was declared in.LCW kept on his composure and continue to play.As he said,"It is no use to keep on protesting as it will not be on his side,". Even the local Malaysia broadcaster has said,"If this shuttlecock is going to be in, LCW can just walked out of the court,".Thus it showed that the linesman are the most important person to make the correct decision without biased.It will effect the focus of the players.
    Players also needs to show their true sportmanship in the court.I hope that this incident will not happened in Thomas Cup and OG this year.
    Thank You.
    Ayu

11. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    dear ayu

don't worry THOMS/Uber cup 2008 in jakarta will be fair

i will be there by myself to 'supervise' the linesmen :D... if there's a bad call that a lineman does on porpose.. i will punch his nose :D :D :D

from taufik-ist

12. ma-fung

ma-fung Regular Member

Dont be too sure,some controversial calls happened at previous INA opens

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    WOW, such violent but a small violent to prevent more violent is a good thing:D:)

#433 cooler, Feb 8, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2008
  14. Winston_T

Winston_T Regular Member

Business Consultant
    when the victim was not LD or any other CHN's players, it's ok.:cool:

15. Turbo

Turbo Regular Member

i was even surprissed LD still finished the match without walking out

its more sidssapionting for a player to walk out since people at least paid for the match

16. Winston_T

Winston_T Regular Member

Business Consultant
    edit:
    as long as the bad calls against LD or any other CHN's palyers, it's ok. move on ppl.:cool::cool::cool:

17. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    :D This particular call in Korean Open 2008 was VERY bad, though. The video clip clearly showed that it was around 20 cm outside the line... :p Oh, well... if not so, then it would not be the Korean Open, right? :p

18. Noridayu

Noridayu Regular Member

Childcare Teacher
    To Taufik

Dear Taufik,

I hope that this issue will not happened in every tournament so that we can see the best actions from the players.

Ayu

19. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Definitely. No one wants this linejudging farce to continue. If a thread is created for it, I think we will be equally passionate about it, arguing/discussing this and that.

But the title of this thread is "Penalty for Lin Dan". There are multiple issues involved in this incident. We BCers and BWF can handle multiple issues simultaneously. At least give us this credit.

20. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Not my principal. He gave a tight slap once.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.