rope jumping or running to improve my stamina?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by jseto, Aug 16, 2007.

1. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    Exactly, Jogging + Weights = core fitness + less prone to injury

2. virtualkidneys!

virtualkidneys! Regular Member

The rope jumping is good for stamina but not as good as running, swimming etc

However it does get your feet into the habit of landing on the balls of your feet which increase the speed of your split step

3. darkwingduck

darkwingduck Regular Member

Nothing
    you train wrist too when skipping rope :D

4. virtualkidneys!

virtualkidneys! Regular Member

Thats true:D

Im not one for skipping though, im not very good at it :S

5. AznAndrew

AznAndrew Regular Member

Hm. For stamina, i have no idea, but on a Zhao Jianhua's coaching video i just watched, he said that rope jumping should be good for jumping smashes.

6. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

I'll clarify what I said earlier. In sports you have both general physical training and sport-specific training. Sport specific training would be anything where you're on a court, you have a racquet, shuttles, etc. General physical training would be any other physical activity.

Certainly, it is important to have a good base of general fitness, which gives you the stamina, muscle endurance, tendon strength and agility to progress well in sport-specific training without injury. Typically, for general physical preparation, "playground" and "strongman" exercises work well. Playground exercises are things like hop-scotch, short sprints, skipping rope, etc. Strongman exercises can be things like car pushing, tire flipping or even calisthetics. One of the key things is that exercise is varied, which keeps you from overtraining any specific exercise. When a series of such exercises are done without any break in between, oxygen use can easily exceed that from running. In addition, the athlete learns how to move.

So, where does running as an exercise fit into this scheme? You could say that it is one long, extended set of a single playground exercise (sprinting). Doing this will decrease the amount of variety and balance in your general training. Secondly, it can also be considered the "sports-specific" training for endurance runners. Is it necessary to perform training for a secondary sport just to supplement your main sport? I don't think so.

In the context of GPP, skipping is even better than running, but even then there are still a few issues with it. In particular, foot agility is rarely the limiting factor in this exercise, as the foot speed is often limited by the speed with which the rope can be turned. Skipping without a rope doesn't suffer from this limitation, which is why I prefer those types of exercises. Sure, you don't get the general upper body exercise, but then the "strongman" exercises provide plenty of that.

If you have time, check out that article by Bo Omosegaard about PEH Larsen's physical training. I think they cut down his cardio training and gave him more strength/power exercises. In the end, he played at a high level and won a gold medal. In retrospect, the physical training protocols were very crude (which resulted in a knee injury at one point), but Omosegaard had the right idea. These days, with the internet it is possible to take a look at what athletes across different sports are doing, what works for them and why. You then start to realize how much stuff is done not because it is the "best" way to do it, but because no one wants to risk a different approach, especially considering the Chinese do it that way. I mean, they do well in international badminton, so we should copy what they do right? :rolleyes: Well, that is a whole other issue worthy of its own thread.

7. spellbound85

spellbound85 New Member

Thanks a lot for the sharing, it is an eye-opening. Do you have a link to the article?

8. spellbound85

spellbound85 New Member

I have always wondered why my stamina is far weaker than my friend, she is good in badminton; and when it comes to running, i can run 10km easily, where she can only manage 3km. If we play singles, I am tired by the 3rd or 4th set already...

Looks like this is the answer.