BackHand Clear From Behind & Under

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by magiadam, Apr 4, 2008.

1. magiadam

magiadam Regular Member

Lin Dan and T.Hidayat do this often sometimes. When they're lazy to go hit the shuttle overhead their head, they perform this backhand clear where the shuttle is about the hit the floor and past their body, and as they make contact with the bird, their body turns back front.

Hard to describe, I hope you get my riff and hope you can help me find a source to learn it :)

I can only do overhead backhand clears, don't know how from under and when it passes your body.

Thanks.

2. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    it's not when they're lazy, it's when they're in lots and lots and lots of trouble. so i don't think you should aim to play that shot. you'll automatically play it when you find yourself in a similar situation. the main thing is to have good timing.

3. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    it's more of a trick shot than anything :p...but unless yours can go baseline to baseline and as high as a regular clear...you're in a heap of trouble after my friend :p

4. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Here's an alternative thing to do.. fluke it, and make the shuttle hit the white line of the net and tip over it.. :D I quite often do it.. alot of my backhand shots end up like that..:confused:

5. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    On top of good technique, train your wrists and fingers till they're really strong and fast.

But even when lin dan/taufik does from the baseline it's probably not high and deep

6. Loopy

Loopy Regular Member

I can do the low backhand, but only do the fast drive or drop, because I know my clear will get easily killed. As others say, it isn't a shot you should practice, because it means you're in hot trouble.

7. exalted

exalted Regular Member

Marketing
    Are there any clips of this shot? I can imagine what the OP is talking about, but videos would always be nice ;o

8. UncleFester

UncleFester Regular Member

Something like this?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7Ux7OzYlQ0

What makes such a shot good is the fact that very few players expect that one,most players are hunting the net when the opponent is in trouble like that.

9. NisroL_JR

NisroL_JR Regular Member

Teacher
    My backhand can clear the ball from baseline to baseline, and sometime, I hit it over and out :D but I dont no how to teach it :D

But I agree good technique. plus strong, wrist and finger, and dont swing all the hand, like tennis player

10. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Of course you should also train the shots played when in big trouble!! It is kind of stupid if you have to give up when facing an opponent who will get you in trouble now and again..

pickup shots are also important to train (granted that you may want to focus on the normal strokes first..)

/Twobeer

11. magiadam

magiadam Regular Member

This is exactly what I'm trying to learn.

12. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    those kind of shots are ones you pick up over time and experience. you shouldn't be prioritizing these shots over normal ones. these kind of shots develop as you progress in skill level. it doesn't matter a world if you have a good below the net backhand, but you can't play good net shots. these "trick" shots are ones you practise while mucking around at club, not when you're training properly.

13. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    i definately agree with this. like my first point stated, it's not shots you want to train and be known for (and if done incorrectly, you'd not only end up losing the point, but could sprain your wrist etc)...note that all the greats "pick up" their trick shots when playing around...i read once somewhere that danish kids in the badminton development stages had 1 or 2 hours after their training to develope their "trick shots" like Gade did...kinda something to keep the sport fun and interesting, but more importantly, progress their creativity so it helps their brains think better on the court...when you're finished training or warming up...just try something new!:p i've created a ton of new shots that way, and it helps stimulate your mind for shot selections :D...as for the youtube video, i thought that this thread was about shots that were like the tennis trick shot...picture you going for a low-5 with a friend, but with a racket and hitting the bird behind your back...that's what i thought this thread was about LOL..but then again, it is what you interpret it to be, and Taufik is all about the brute strength and backhand;):D

14. jchan04

jchan04 Regular Member

this shot is unnecessary.