Thomas Cup Malaysia Line-up: What do you think?

Discussion in 'Thomas Cup / Uber Cup 2008' started by stan_du_38, Apr 6, 2008.

1. stan_du_38

stan_du_38 New Member

Well, the Thomas Cup is coming soon, people are speculating about the probable lineups, what do you think would be your ideal lineup this year?

Singles:
    Lee Chong Wei
    Wong Choong Han
    Lee Tsuen Seng
    Yeoh Kay Bin or Tan Chung Seang or Mohd Arif Abdul Latif

Doubles:
    Choong Tan Fook - Lee Wan Wah
    Koo Kean Keat - Tan Boon Heong
    Chan Chong Ming - Chew Choon Eng

The reason for kicking out the Hashim brothers is because we shouldn't be including them because one has won the illusive All England years ago and another, a former world no 1. They've just not been performing, so they're not reliable to play even as 3rd singles (against Chen Jin or Chen Yu or Chen Hong of China, Simon Santoso of Indonesia, Shon Seong Mo of Korea and Joachin Persson of Denmark). The 4th singles between Yeoh Kay Bin, Mohd Arif and Tan Chun Seang, Kay Bin is a senior player and a capable and more experienced, and if they need someone young to gain experience, then it'll be Tan Chun Seang or Mohd Arif Abdul Latif.

As for the doubles, why not the proven combination of Chan Chong Ming - Chew Choon Eng who're regaining their former prowess? We need someone who could step up and take the place of Koo Kean Keat - Tan Boon Heong in case they perform disastrously (again), Mohd Fairuzizuan - Mohd Zakry may be good but they're not consistent enough and they just don't have the quality to win against top opponents match after match. One match and one upset is okay, continuously defying the odds to win something is another, and in this case, Chan - Chew are definitely better. There are lots of quality second doubles out there... (Luluk Hadiyanto - Alven Yulianto or Joko Riyadi - Hendra Gunawan of Indonesia, Hwang Ji Man - Lee Jae Jin of S Korea, remembering that they could split the partnerships and be just as strong, Jens Eriksen - Martin Lundgaard Hansen and Mathias Boe - Marsten Mogensen of Denmark, Guo Zhendong - Xie Zhongbo of China).

#1 stan_du_38, Apr 6, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2008
  2. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

Agree with you mostly except I think Fuzzy is a better pair for being 3rd MDs and Yoyo is still a better choice for being the 4th single.

3. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    AS much as i would want CCM/CCE on the list. But very unlikely they will be joining. I will vote for Fairuz/Zakry or WoonFui/TeckChai. BinShen/SoonHock will also have a chance i guess.

4. vching

vching Regular Member

Student
    The MS1 and MS2 are straightforward:

MS1: Lee Chong Wei
    MS2: Wong Choong Hann

However, it is my personal opinion that Koo/Tan are better in MD1. IMO, they would fare better against Markis/Hendra, Cai/Fu, Jens/Martin, and Jung/Lee. But this can only happen if Koo/Tan performs well in ABC and Choong/Lee crash out in early rounds.

MD1: Koo/Tan
    MD2: Choong/Lee

MS3 is trickier. On one hand, Lee Tsuen Seng is the experienced one. On the other hand, Hafiz Hashim is a good team player. However, in the end, I would go with Hafiz.

MS3: Hafiz Hashim
    MS4: Lee Tsuen Seng

MD3 is also tricky. Fairuz/Zakry or Chan/Chew? Although BAM is almost certain to select Fairuz and Zakry, I think BAM should bring BOTH pairs just in case.

MD3: Fairuz/Zakry
    MD4: Chan/Chew

5. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    Due to quota limits per team, only 10 players were allowed .
    If MAS opt for 4 MD pair, who will be fielded MS 3:confused:
    For MS 4, it doesnt matter who will they pick . They won't be fielded anyway in any ties IMO. MAS coaches has always been conservative for their lines-up in single department.

6. vching

vching Regular Member

Student
    oops, forgot about the 10 player limit... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

7. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    You are right there. :) There are limits for the amount of players who will be playing in TCUC.

8. BinBin007911

BinBin007911 Regular Member

I think i would like to have Lee Tsuen Seng and a younger player for 3rt and 4th ms, i don like hafiz performing recently. and lee tsueg seng have have a better performing. i have not comment for 3rt md.

LCW
    WCH
    LTS
    TCS/Latif

CTF/LWW
    KKK/TBH
    CCM/CCE or Fairuz/Zakry

#8 BinBin007911, Apr 12, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2008
  9. Noridayu

Noridayu Regular Member

Childcare Teacher
    The line up of Malaysia team will only be finalized on 20th April after the ABC.
    Likely to team will consists of:
    MS
    LCW
    HH
    WCH

MD
    KKK & TBH
    CTF & LWW
    Zakry & Fairuz

10. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

I dont think Msia will opt LTS to replace Mr.Yoyo for MS3. But again, does it matter? whoever fielded will stumble to the pressure and eventually lose the crucial point :rolleyes:

11. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

LTS for MS4

But they are looking for a MS4 and LTS is ideal.He beat TH in one TC despite the odds.LTS may not win a GP Gold but his stamina may just be good enough for that crucial match.LTS does not have a confidence problem, just stamina. For a big do like TC,among equals, send the one with the confidence to fight the odds. And that's LTS.Surely he can build up his stamina in 3 weeks for 2 matches.(Confidence takes months to build up and that's provided the player win big once.)
    The last thing MAS wants is to send an MJ, who if he loses, can get blamed so much his career came to virtually a standstill.Let no MJ suffer like KBH again. It would be irresponsible not to learn from history.

12. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

i hope that the yoyo man will not included in the squad:(:)

13. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    I think we are looking at the less important thing here. Because of the gulf between LCW and the rest of the MS, there is not much difference, whoever is selected. Though I tend to agree with pjswift, LTS might be able to provide the difference in one specific match, he did beat Taufik in the 2002 final.

Instead, it is in MD that MAS has to register 100% success rate (2 points) in every tie. So the 3 pairs selected has to shoulder the burden of winning the points.

But to be honest, Malaysia's chances in this year's tournaments are less than 2 years ago, we are much more vulnerable than the 1992 Thomas Cup winning squad (which were competitive in 4 out of 5 ties).

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I'd go for LTS as 3rd singles. The man has remarkable fighting spirit when representing his country.

Overall, the squad is not as strong as last time so I do not really rate their chances this time. That time was very bad luck that Wong Choon Han had that terrible injury.

15. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Yes, agree. Good idea. Hafiz reserved as MS4. Hafiz has a confidence problem.

16. Louisa

Louisa Regular Member

Realistically, chances for us to be in the final is not high, what more to bring the trophy home...but, as long as our players play all out, despite losing, I will cheer for them...

17. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Well, at least, the chances of us being in the final is very high, barring any unforseen circumstances ...... :D And the chances of the finalist (whoever that might be) challenging the might of China in the final is still reasonable.

18. bcmmgr

bcmmgr Regular Member

Actually, I think 5 singles and 5 doubles is better, 1 backup double is enough, especially WCH can also play double is necessary, this will allow more flexible in single lineup and other country cannot predict easily:

Singles:
    Lee Chong Wei
    Wong Choong Han
    Hazif
    Lee Tsuen Seng
    Tan Chung Seang

Doubles:
    Choong Tan Fook - Lee Wan Wah
    Koo Kean Keat - Tan Boon Heong
    Chan Chong Ming

19. sjoe

sjoe Regular Member

Engineer
    Don't forget that bringing 4th players is not only for assurances but scenario for injury. The scenario which might need Hafiz for 2nd single is when LCW can't play due to injury then everyone has to go up.

20. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    ya...u get my word...^^...but it was hafiz...^^...