Is Badminton still regarded as a 'Gentleman's sport'?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by chris-ccc, Apr 12, 2008.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    There is an inherent hypocrisy in colonial soldiers

:D:D:D event... Of course you know that we are talking about players behaving well-mannered or not, and not about the inherent hypocrisy in colonial soldiers.

2. event

event Regular Member

Okay, I admit I'm getting a little hung-up on the terminology.

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Five facets of sportsmanship have been identified

Sorry for using the terminology 'Gentleman's sport'. What I meant was 'Good sportsmanship'. :)

This entry is from Wikipedia...

Five facets of sportsmanship have been identified:
    (1) Full commitment to participation (e.g., showing up, working hard during all practices and games, acknowledging one’s mistakes and trying to improve)
    (2) Respect and concern for rules and officials
    (3) Respect and concern for social conventions (e.g., shaking hands, recognizing the good performance of an opponent)
    (4) Respect and concern for the opponent (e.g., lending one’s equipment to the opponent, agreeing to play even if the opponent is late, not taking advantage of injured opponents)
    (5) Avoiding poor attitudes toward participation (e.g., not adopting a win-at-all-costs approach, not showing temper after a mistake, and not competing solely for individual prizes)

(Vallerand, Deshaies, Cuerrier, Briere, & Pelletier, 1996; Vallerand, Briere, Blanchard, & Provencher, 1997)

4. No one

No one Regular Member

hey, at one point in tournaments I was shaking hands with my opponents before we started a match:eek:. Can't remember where I picked it up, I think someone must have done the same thing to me and so I assumed you were supposed to. But then people started looking at me funny so I stopped:D:D:D

it's a shame cos it seemed to me that it was a way of saying, "ok, we're in a tournament but there's no need to be ridiculously competitive about it."

5. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Shaking hands and wishing each other good luck were done at the toss

No one, shaking hands with opponents before the start of a match were common years ago. When?; Shaking hands and wishing each other good luck were done at the toss to decide who will serve first.

6. treilanin

treilanin Regular Member

Well to clear things up, I am not saying that good players are not allowed to have challenging games nor am I saying that they have to give up their limited court time. What I am talking about is people who absolutely refuse to play with lesser players ever. I am not talking about 50% of your game time... we are talking about like 1 match out of 6 hours of play time. If this were a competitive club then I would be more sympathetic, however it is a social club and it is still possible to play with lesser players.

We have three levels of skill beginner, intermediate and advanced and what I am talking about is people not willing to play one match with someone in the rank below them.

I have personally found that I can grow faster and better when I am able to teach others how to improve. No matter how basic the skill is, there is always room for you to learn how to do something better... the majority of us are not world class players.

7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I thought cricket was once regarded as a gentlemen's sport! Not so for badminton or golf! :D

But of course cricket also has that 'colonial' attachment to it.

8. No one

No one Regular Member

are you saying I'm old?:D

9. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Cricket was like a gentleman's sport

Loh... Even in Cricket, the change from sportsmanship to gamesmanship is happening. :(:(:(

At one time there was a lot of etiquette in Cricket. It was like a gentleman's sport. Now it's all about gamesmanship. It has had its share of controversial incidents. Ball tampering, sledging, chucking, racism, abusive fans, and political intervention have all impacted on the game. There are many things happening that wouldn't have been tolerated years ago.

10. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

We should continue shaking hands and wishing each other good luck

It doesn't matter how old you are. We should continue shaking hands and wishing each other good luck at the toss before the start of our match. :D:D:D

11. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    tennis
    a ladies and gentlemen's sports too......
    however, did anyone remember John McEnroe?
    few players do make interesting "show" during games.....;)

12. Fan888

Fan888 Regular Member

I never consider badminton a "gentleman's sport". I like it the way it is without being too formal, like golf :)

I agree with the comments made so far. Some of the pros and their behavior are bad for the game. With all the line call controversies lately, I am still waiting for the first pro to purposely give up a point to equalize a bad call.

For most of us, it is a social sport, especially, given the limited court availability, we typically play double and against someone who you otherwise might never meet. Secondly, most of us make our own line calls. Mostly, people call them honestly.

13. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

That's what I call good sportsmanship

That's what I call good sportsmanship. :)

If a pro won a previous point because it was called in (inside the opponent's court) when he/she knew it was hit it out; and on his/her next service, purposely hit the shuttle to the line judge's hands (to the one who made the incorrect call), then everyone will know it is 'a gesture of good sportsmanship'. :):):)

Yes, I am still waiting for this to happen.

14. crosscourt

crosscourt Regular Member

Legal
    That's an intreresting question. Is it gentlemanly conduct to so directly question the linesman's call (even if we know the linesman was wrong)? I would imagine the linesman would be quite offended and would probably say that it is unlikely the player had a better view than he.

15. No one

No one Regular Member

I don't know, that seems a little over the top. I think it would be enough if the person who was the beneficiary of the bad line call, and also thought the shuttle was in, simply said to the line judge and/or umpire, that they thought it was in. That would qualify as good sportsmanship. If they then went further and deliberately knocked it out, that would suggest that they think they know better than the umpire or line judge. That seems unnecessary and also complicating the issue.

16. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Simply say to the line judge and/or umpire "It's out when it's out"

crosscourt's concern for the linesman is justified too... but if the player (the beneficiary of the call) is very sure, and so have noticed by his opponent, then Fan888's "purposely give up a point to equalize a bad call" could be a good idea.

Perhaps No one's "simply said to the line judge and/or umpire, that they thought it was in" is the best solution. :):):)

Yes, the whole thing seems unnecessary and also could have complicated the issue. Perhaps that is why we haven't seen Fan888's idea being done yet; But treat it as a 'lucky call'.

#36 chris-ccc, Apr 14, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  17. Fan888

Fan888 Regular Member

You guys made very good points. The players can't and don't want to showoff or embarrass the line judges.

18. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

How we can bring Badminton back as a 'Gentleman's sport'

That's the point. :):):)

We hope to discuss here about how we can bring Badminton back as a 'Gentleman's sport'.

19. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    there's always competition to be the best...so there's no way it'll be like before...and politics are another story...but if you meant gentleman's sport as no psychological games/sportsmanship/no hitting other players and such, then you're barking up the wrong tree =P...might as well go into croquet or something >_>...

20. No one

No one Regular Member

yeah I agree, although....

1. if this is the case, why was it so gentlemanly before (and was it really)? what were the conditions under which good sportsmanship could be considered the norm? because I'm assuming in the past people were also competitive. As you suggest, politics might be a reason.

2. well if we are talking about professionals, then yes, I can understand that all kinds of tactics might be necessary to win a game (and ultimately money). But for amateurs, one has to ask, is being that competitive justifiable?