Player(s) in New York, US - Anyone???

Discussion in 'USA East' started by LazyBuddy, Sep 23, 2002.

1. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Personally, I prefer Brooklyn Badminton club @ saturday. They open from 9:30 - 3:30, 8 courts. You need to bring your own rackets and shuttles,and walk in is $16, i believe.

They do have subway (D train @ Bay50st), but kinda far from your place. Top of my head, I think you can take 4,5,6 to grand central, then take 7 train for 1 stop to 42nd street, 5th ave (bryant park),then transfer D train (brooklyn direction) from there. I think if for weekend, the trip might be at least 1.5 hrs or so.

I will confirm my schedule later of this week. Looking forward to see you. :p

2. bambini

bambini Regular Member

bldg administrator

alright lazybuddy. where is the exact address of the court? i can ask directions from the port authority people. i'll see you this sat.

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    The address is 50 Ave X, but that's not the entrances we use for the gym. Once you come out of subway station (D train, Bay 50th street), look on your right (if facing school fence), and go to right about 20 yards or so, and you should see a metal fence gate (right under the curve of subway bridge). Just go all the way in, and the gym is on the left, right by the small parking lot.

So far, I should be available this saturday. I usually be there around 10am - 2pm. I will double confirm with you regarding my schedule, by later this week. ;)

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I should be in the gym after 10 or 10:30am tomorrow. ;)

5. bambini

bambini Regular Member

bldg administrator
    okay see you tom!

6. bambini

bambini Regular Member

bldg administrator
    nice meeting you lazybuddy!

7. shreky

shreky Regular Member

when is the next EB? I always wanted to try Brooklyn but never had the chance and of course to meet the legendary BCers members.

8. bambini

bambini Regular Member

bldg administrator

they play in brooklyn every sat. i might drop by this sat and play. lazybuddy plays there regularly.

9. shreky

shreky Regular Member

lazy and bambi, let's play singles then .... let me get my racket ready.

10. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I am no where near a top player, and single is definitely not my game for sure. :D

Even though, BBC does have 8 courts, but if you do want singles, you have to either come really early when they just open (9:30am), or stay late at the last minute (3:30). Base on my own experience, the 1st 2 hours (before 11:30) and last hour (2:30 and later) usually means non-stop playing time, and in between usually need some waiting time, as it's the peak. Usually, they don't allow you to play singles, unless there are quite a few empty courts.

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Sorry about did not have a chance to talk with you for much. Definitely should come early (at least, before 11am or 10 to be better) in order to get more games. ;)

12. azzman

azzman Regular Member

hey Lazybuddy, what are my options for the nj/ny area friday night, saturday morning and monday night besides nyc badminton and brooklyn badminton as i have them noted already.

Thanks buuuuuuh- dee!

13. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Not very sure about NJ area. If NY metro area, you already listed all the choices I know of. :p I did over heard there are a few other clubs in brooklyn area, however, I don't know too much details about them, regarding time/schedule/cost/level of playing.

14. teahouse88

teahouse88 Regular Member

Hey azzman,
    There are 2 clubs in bklyn, ny open. One on 16th ave between 56th-57th st. The other one is brooklynbadminton.org that one is on emmons ave. both open from 7-11pm. brooklynbadminton.org is open on saturdays and sundays too in the afternoon. Fitnessbadminton.com is open on Saturday nites 7-11pm. The ones open at nite are mostly $10. They all have prices on their websites and schedules too. Only the one on 16th ave dont have one.

15. azzman

azzman Regular Member

Thanks for the info! Those days and times do not work for my schedule this time, but maybe next time I'm in town. I think i may just end up going to some culture show friday night at NYU and maybe play in CT for monday night. Not sure.

16. handyy

handyy Regular Member

hi guys, I jsut moved to Brooklyn like two days ago and I am looking for a place to play nearby and after a very loooong through all the pages, I kinda found out that the places to place in Brooklyn are the Brookyln badminton club at john Dewey HS and few other places that teashouse posted. so are there anyone going to these places so maybe I could meet with few people and make some friends? i migh go to BBC this saturday and might try those other places too... but not sure yet.
    Thanks..

17. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

I am a regular for brooklyn badminton club. However, the upcoming 1 to 2 weeks, I can't show up, as I am working in my new apartment right now. I should go back by mid June or so. Hopefully we can meet up and have a few games, if you don't mind about my low skill level. :p

BBC is a very friendly place, and we have 8 courts and players range from beginners to regional finalists. Therefore, it's not hard to find the group you feel comfortable with. When you 1st come, introduce yourself to Sunny (manager), and he should be able to pair you up with the right group.

For details, please check www.brooklynbadminton.com. They open every saturday from 9:30 - 3:30. ;)

18. teahouse88

teahouse88 Regular Member

Hey handyy, as i mentioned in the post. There are more then one place to play. If you decide to play Tues, Fri, even Sat nites there are alot more places to choose from if you want to play more then once a week. If you decide to come let me know and we could play a few games and introduce you to a few ppl.

19. handyy

handyy Regular Member

hey lazybuddy,
    I'll probably go check it out this coming saturday, let me know of you are going so we can meet up or something.

hey teahouse,
    yea I'll probably go to some of those places you posted,
    maybe we can arrange to meet up?

20. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

I still need to work in my place during the next 1 or 2 weekend. Hopefully you will enjoy the club. I will let you know when I am coming back. ;)