Looking for a private coach for intensive training in Petaling Jaya

Discussion in 'Malaysia Coaching' started by shickles, Jun 5, 2008.

1. shickles

shickles Regular Member

Student
    Hey everyone, I'm new here.
    Basically, I used to play a lot of badminton when I was MUCH younger (circa primary school!) but I somehow stopped playing (I'm 20 now) and have become very very rusty. I now only manage to squeeze in 1 hour of recreational playing every fortnight!

I'm studying abroad atm and will be home in Petaling Jaya for the summer holiday (July-Sept) and looking to have intensive training until I can put up a decent match with anybody!

I have had a look around the net and have found the Yap Twins Management Centre (Chief Coach is Yap Yee Hup) which looks pretty decent. Also of course Misbun's badminton club Nusa Mahsuri (which I actually prefer since it is nearer to where I live) but it doesn't seem to offer the kind of training I'm looking for.

Bearing in mind that I'm not that good AT ALL, do you have any recommendation/advice for me? Thanks!

Looking forward to hearing from you all :)

2. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    If Misbun's training isn't intensive enough, how do you explain a super-grade result like Lee Chong Wei? :confused:

3. shickles

shickles Regular Member

Student
    Oh no, I just realised I wasn't being clear enough in my post!
    I meant that Misbun's club doesn't offer private training - his club seems to only offer group training for younger players.

Sorry for the confusion, I never meant to imply Misbun's training is anything but intensive!

4. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    If you can show them the money... they will welcome you. How about Tan Chun Seang? I thought he's coachin part time? Try him then. Or come to singapore then. Lots of coaching kakis here.

5. mmnoor

mmnoor Regular Member

There is plenty of coaching programmes available in KL. For intense taining during your summer break, I would suggest going for one to one programmes, where coaches will be able to focus and develop you from the basic skills onwards.

The downside to this the cost. What i would suggest is once your back in KL, go to Micheal's Badminton Academy in Taman Megah, PJ (which by the way is quite near to your place) and ask them about available coaching programmes.

6. badgiler

badgiler Regular Member

Hi there Shickles,

There's a badminton coaching team who offers group and private coaching that i know of. Places currently they operate at are Subang Jaya, Shah Alam and PJ.

Comprises of qualified coaches with at least 5 years experience from coaching club to state level badminton players, to meet yr needs.

PM me if u need more details.

7. ericTDX

ericTDX Regular Member

Student
    hi shickles, mind telling how often would u want to train..which day, time, etc.. maybe this would help us to give some suggestions =)

8. shickles

shickles Regular Member

Student
    @ extremenanopowe: Thanks for the Singapore suggestion, but I'd much rather stick around PJ/KL, as I haven't been home in a long time.

@ mmnoor: Thanks for the suggestion, will definitely look into one-to-one training, I just hope the fees won't burn too much of a hole in my pockets! Oh well, it's a good investment I suppose.

@ badgiler: Have contacted you about this, thanks again!

@ ericTDX: Well my schedule will be quite flexible since I'll be on holiday, so time isn't really an issue. I want to train as often as I can without compromising rest.

General question: Does it matter which coach/academy I choose to go for since I'm a (re-)beginner? How do I go about choosing which coach/academy to go for, without considering cost?

Thanks for the responses so far! :)

9. shickles

shickles Regular Member

Student
    private coaching

Thanks extremenanopowe, but i'd rather stick around PJ or KL since I haven't been home in a long time! Any idea how I can find Tan Chun Seang's contact?

I'll definitely look up Michael's Badminton Academy, thanks for the suggestion mmnoor. I hope it won't be too expensive!

ericTDX, I would like to train as often as I can without having to compromise rest and relaxation (I will be on holiday :) ) I will be quite free so will be able to follow any reasonable schedule. Maybe every other day, or something along those lines.

I have since received suggestions and recommendations of coaches/academies since my first post. How do I go about choosing which one to go for? Thanks guys!

10. ericTDX

ericTDX Regular Member

Student
    hmm..im not sure about MBA, but what about USJ badminton hall..its at the industrial area near Giant USJ. Rates im not so sure also but i think the time for private coaching is flexible..

11. Excript

Excript Regular Member

is it weird or odd for a 27 year old to have group coaching ar? dun wanna memalukan myself with kids leh.... and what are the steps for training? i have not perfected my footwork, suck in directing the direction of the shuttlecock...pretty good in net play but other stuff just average. For doubles i mean

12. cendolabc

cendolabc Regular Member

Oh, i'm in , i'm IN!! *raise hand high high*
    I'm tired of being mediocre ler... i wan to be taken seriously also...
    excript... we go in together gether!!! :cool: i have PM u aldy.. contact me