Recommedation for end level beginner

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by dkoh234, Jun 18, 2008.

1. dkoh234

dkoh234 Regular Member

Student
    I need recommendation for a new racket, i consider myself an end level beginner. I'm weak in smash.

I'm using a low torsion steel racket from Yonex (pretty bad, i noe...)

So, i decided to get a new racket and a bag to protect it.

Since i'm a on and off player, i need a racket that is well-worth the money (max SGD 90) and can last me a long time.

Recently, sportslink in Sg have a promotion (14 june 2008) and offers
    Yonex NC TUFF 8Lt ~ SGD 69.90
    MusclePower21~SGD 59.90
    MusclePower 8~SGD 49.90
    all come with a offer of free BT3 bag, MS1855 & waterbottle.

Carbonex 6000DF~SGD39.90
    free BT3 bag and MS1855.

I have a large hand and prefer light rackets. Is any mentioned worthwhile? I don't go for brand and I will be thankful for any guide in choosing a racket.

PS. I'm prone to flick the shuttlecock overhead in a downwards motion using the wrist. It will cause to shuttlecock to fly in a steep angle and look something like a slow smash. I noticed my opponent have to dive for it and regularly misses. So, what is this called? Or is it a wrong stroke?

2. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    If you are beginner then go with low end yonex rackets. You can get high end rackets from other brands and will perform better such as SOTX, RSl and apacs.

3. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

The best choice would probably be the MusclePower21. It's a pretty good racquet. The rest might be too heavy.
    Especially the Carbonex 6000DF, just avoid that.. it's as heavy as a normal steel racquet. It used to be my favourite racquet as a beginner because of its powerfulness, but I later found it too heavy and tiring to use.

That shot you are talking about is a half-smash. It's not a 'wrong-stroke', it actually leads you into having the correct technique for the future.

Good luck anyway. :)

4. dkoh234

dkoh234 Regular Member

Student
    Besides those offered by Sportslink, is there any worthwhile deals?

Btw, what does correct technique half smash leads to? I've never heard of this term before...

5. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

By half-smashing, you will tend to use your wrist more than your arm. Wristy players are usually more deceptive than arm-players. You will have better maneuverability around the court as well, if you're using your wrist alot..

Haha, also if you're using more wrist-power, then you can probably handle higher tensions better as well. I used to have problems clearing full court with strings at 24lbs when I wasn't using my wrist enough.. and I started getting pains in my shoulder then. But I am now using 26lbs and I can do nearly everything effortlessly.. because I have gotten used to using my wrist.

6. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    please do enlighten me
    what is end level? the top level?

7. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

yeah, sounds like he's an advanced beginner, if that makes sense.

8. dkoh234

dkoh234 Regular Member

Student
    I think i'll put higher tension into consideration if i were to string my racket. But is 26lb a little too high for beginner like me?

I think tat i used my wrist a lot and sometimes my wrist hurt after some game...especially when i use the steel racket. Or maybe it is the wrong technique...

Lolx, advanced beginner is like an oxymoron. (no offense)

9. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    26lbs is overkill. You should only try 20-22lbs for a beginner.

10. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

I will say MP21 is #1 choice, NCtuff8 is #2. 20x22 or 21x23 should be your staring tension if they are not pre-strung. Adjust tension up or down when you break your string.
    Good luck.

11. TangentZ

TangentZ Regular Member

Muscle Power 21 is a pretty good low-end racquet. I still use it for warm-up and left-hand training. I've had a number of clashes playing doubles and it has survivied well with just a few small scratches.

12. dkoh234

dkoh234 Regular Member

Student
    What about other brands or other rackets? I do feel like Sportslink's promotion is too good to be true.

PS: I do need a bag to store the racket...

13. dkoh234

dkoh234 Regular Member

Student
    After a few days of considering and looking around, i'm unimpressed with mp21.

Althought, Car 21 SP at SGD89.90 seems like a good steal, but i'm pretty scared by its fragile build and fear breaking it in a clash.

I'm reconsideration my buget and maybe thinking about MP77, Carb 30ms, wilsons racket and SOTX Woven 8, maybe Proace as well.

Wat about Apecs and Head rackets?

#13 dkoh234, Jun 20, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  14. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    if you are in budget, proace is a very good choice. go to the shop, try hands on. while, the head's rackets are nice. bit expensive for high end model that is well built and great for play. :)

15. epermana

epermana Regular Member

There are few reasons why your wrist hurts after some game.

The most obvious one is that your wrist is not strong enough. Your wrists work similar to your ankles. Being supported by many tiny tendons, they are prone to injuries (like how you may twist your right ankle when you land after a jump smash). One way to prevent it is through strength/weight training. However, please make sure that you do not overload as it may injure your wrist instead. And yes, your wrists will hurt if your racket is heavy RELATIVE to your wrist. A professional player will hurt his wrist if he did a clip (some call it soft smash, which I am not sure if it is right) with a tennis racket.

Second reason could be imprecise point of contact upon hitting. You will notice that when you miss the sweet spot, you will not hear explosive sound. It is also accompanied by a slight vibration of the racket, your entire arm and your shoulder. Beginners usually feel this effect when doing backhand as they have the wrong hitting technique, resulting in shoulder pain. The same thing also applies to your wrists. One remedy is to use lower tension string as the higher the tension, the smaller the sweet spot area.

I realised you stay in Hougang area. When I was in Singapore, I played in Hougang Sports Hall. If you have the time, look for someone called Anthony Chan. I believe he is the owner of the canteen and he sells various racket brands, especially house brands, all priced below $100. If you meet him, tell him Eric from Aust says Hi ;)

16. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Cab21SP is a great racket at a steal at SGD90 (make sure it's SP, not special). Cab30MS are really rare in Singapore, especially the elusive 3U versions. Other rackets to consider at that price point will be the "MP limited" which handles simliar to the MP99.

If you are going from oval to iso racket, the different feel on impact might take some getting used to. I went full circle back to oval.

17. dkoh234

dkoh234 Regular Member

Student
    Many thanks for the advice. I'll surely say hi to Mr Chen:D

Maybe i should stick to ovals.:confused:

18. alexkho

alexkho Regular Member

Purchasing
    Well ovals are great training racket. it has a smaller sweet spot. which will train you to be more accurate on each hit. when i switch to ISO head i seem to play better even i make mistake thanks to the Oval head i been using all this while.

But if you just a starter in badminton i hear great thing about APACS there is a model call edgesaber 10 which is selling around MYR OR RM 90 which is a great starter racket for your to beat around . RM90 that's like SGD 40 or less .

IF you got for yonex i would highly recomend Carbonex Series (Oval Head) 8-30

don't go for the model with to much number such 8000L series ... single or double digit carbonex is the best starter racket.

19. Gold-

Gold- Regular Member

-
    is there a difference between mp22 and mp21? i only can find information on mp 22

20. chongkiatz

chongkiatz Regular Member

Apacs is a great racket with cheap price... =) Apacs's fan here