Karakal Mtech 70

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by monkey1, Jan 22, 2008.

1. monkey1

monkey1 Regular Member

After trying out a friend’s Karakal SL70, from the first moment I used it I was sold. The 70g weight was perfect for the kind of game I like to play (or try and play!): a lot of manoeuvrability, the capacity to play wrist shots from pretty much anywhere (no matter how far stretched out I was) and a great tool for deceptive shots. What it lacked in brute-force power compared to the heavier rackets it made up for with finesse and speed. The only slight problem I had was that on occasion I kept hitting the shuttle just off centre (off the 'sweet spot') on the racket which commonly resulted in some duff shots (this is my problem really, not really the rackets).

I was on the verge of buying it when I noticed Karakal had brought out the Mtech70, which supposedly was the same as the SL70 but with an ISO/Isometric head shape. In addition, Karakal seemed to of done a better job on the paint work/design on the Mtech70. Considering I've heard that having an ISO shaped head increases the size of the sweet spot on the racket, I decided to go for the Mtech70 instead of the SL70.

My opinion of the racket:

Pros:
    - Soooooo light! (by comparison, most other rackets feel like lead!)
    - Very easy to control with your wrist only
    - very sexy paint job

Cons:
    - You don't get as much power out of it as a heavier racket, but it still has a fair clout with the increased speed of the wrist movement (I think?).
    - You don't want to be hitting other peoples rackets with it during play....Much like putting a long distance Ethiopian marathon runner in a boxing ring with Mike Tyson, I'm sure it would literally dissolve on impact.
    - If you start using it, you might find other rackets feel too heavy...so it might be an idea to get a couple if you can.

I would be interested to know if anyone else has had experience with the Mtech70.

2. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
  3. monkey1

monkey1 Regular Member

Thanks Sealman. I used to play with an 84-85g racket and both the SL70 and Mtech70 are definitely lighter...just play for a few minutes and I think anyone can tell. Regardless of the precise weight, it is still a very light racket.

I'm in the process of getting mine restrung to see if I can't squeeze some more power out of it!

4. Sclarckone

Sclarckone Regular Member

Student
    I also own a Mtec-70 so I can give my advice about this racket...

I don't know if the weight is precisely 70g unstrung but I'm sure this is a very light racket. I have a Wilson V12 wich is a 82g racket and it's heavier than the Mtec-70.

In my opinion it's a precise racket with pretty much power. My smashes are more powerful with this racket than with my old MP-27 (maybe the Mtec-70 is more suitable to my game).
    I was very surprised by the power of this racket...Even with my hurted wrist I can easily do a backcourt to backcourt shot (playing with plastic).
    So if you think the lightweight of this racket would give you less power change your mind...it depends almost on how you play. Of course your shots will be more powerful with a 90g racket but I don't think there is a big difference. What you lose in weight, you may be able to gain it in wrist speed.

(I've just strunged it with Head Super Power 69 @ 24 lbs...I'll try it tonight)

5. Sclarckone

Sclarckone Regular Member

Student
    About the weight: I talked with a Karakal seller who told me that the weight is without grip...So yes, SL-70 & Mtec 70 are actually heavier than 70 g.

(Racket broken before playing with it...in search of a new racket now)

6. awatz

awatz Regular Member

look at the racket head to find its weight. I have an mtec85 and printed on the head is the frame weight and racket weight. the frame weight is 85 grams while the racket weight is 90 grams. so the mtec70 would probably have a 70 gram frame weight and its rackets weight would probably be around 75 grams

7. 2007fp

2007fp Regular Member

Student
    According to the Mtec 70 that I have, It does weight 70g without the Super Pu grip.

The racquet brand new Unstrung in total is about 82g, A Karakal Super PU of the same length as the one on the racquet handle is around 13g.

82g-13g ~ 69g. Frame weight with wood handle.

Lets add strings and a layer of overgrip to it.

String around 6g
    1 layer of overgrip around 5g
    Totally playing racquet weight = 93g.

Which is the same as my Nano Speed 9000s.

Rather is a light racquet or not is your call.

** Measurement with a Digital kitchen scale.

Picture available upon request.

And now I am interested in how much does the Mtec 85 weight. ?? If it weight 15g more than Mtec70 than final weight is 108g??

#7 2007fp, Jul 2, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2008