Mixed Doubles Problem...Please help!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by mingaling88, Jul 30, 2008.

1. mingaling88

mingaling88 Regular Member

Student
    Hi everyone

I'm having a major problem playing mixed doubles at the club that I play at in my city. I'm a strong mixed doubles player, I am able to return a man's smash well, and I can also play in the back. The problem is that every girl that I play mixed against don't play mixed properly at all!! The opposing girl always stays right in the front at the T, and they NEVER move to the side and defend...EVEN when they lift the shuttle!! I find this VERY irritating..because I am constantly moving around the court..defending and moving to the back to get the cross court smashes, clears, drops, and drives. What types of shots would you recommend for a female player like me in order to move the opposing woman around??? I try to do tight drop shots when I'm forced to the back because the opposing woman will stay at the front..but this doesn't work well..and neither does a smash because it goes past the woman and the opposing man will just hit it back to me! And I don't always want to lift cross court to the man because then i'm just defending and i'll keep getting attacked at! I'm so frustrated...can anyone help me?!! Also am I standing too far back when I defend? I tend to stand about half court....but the older men players tell me to stand closer to the T when I defend! Is this a good idea...I don't think it is because when I player against younger men they can smash and I don't want to get hit in the face!

2. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Might have to find a partner who can actually play mixed doubles if they cannot play it properly or refuses to change.

3. mingaling88

Student
    It's difficult to find a good partner mixed or doubles partner where I live. I wish I lived in Vancouver so I could play with some of the top players! I don't have many partners to choose from so I'm kind of stuck playing with the club players until university starts..then I can play with stronger mixed partners.

But can anyone help with my problem?? Am I hitting the wrong type of shots?

4. Natrificial

Natrificial Regular Member

Articling Student
    You're pretty much doing the right thing by smashing, its the right play when their playing front/back. You can't help it if your partner doesn't pressure them enough and they are able to force you to the back. Smash right at the woman in front, smash at the sidelines... eventually, and with practice, your deadly smash will force them to change tactics.

5. DaveC

DaveC Regular Member

IT manager, Lifetime Badminton Player
    I agree, As for the lady to stand on the "T" is a very standard way to play mix double. The main tactic of the game (even in men's double) is to force your opponent to lift so you can pressure the person at the back, in this case its to pressure the man.

Beside Smashing to the sideline which is a must and very effective, you and your partner should also push really soft shots to the left & right to pressure the man at the back to lift.
    The soft push should be "just slightly" out of the reach of the lady in front. the Shuttle will drop very fast downward and the man at the back will not be able to drive it back, this will force him to lift the shots more.
    These soft push will also make the lady try to intercept the shots. If she does get it, the man at the back would have already be trying to get it too, this will cause their defend to crumble because both will be in the same side of the court.
    If she does not move to try to get it, the man at the back will also have a hard time to reach for the left and right soft shots. He will be force to move little bit forward, this position will make his smashes less effective as he will have to bend back or move more to get the shuttle to smashes. Giving him less option of attack.
    This soft shots will also force the lady to move sideway and the man to move forward. Playing aroud these shots with sideline smashes you & your partner will be able to force the lady to the back too.

I am play both men's and mix double, they are quite close when it come to tactics to force opponent to lift the shuttle. In any both mens and mix doubles, the general rule is NEVER LIFT THE SHUTTLE, whichever side that "lift" the most is ushually the loser!!!

There is ONLY a few exception for lifting the shuttle.
    #1. When there is an open space at the back to attack/place the shuttle.
    #2. When opponent leave a back corner "unguarded". Almost same as #1
    #3. Forcing the weaker player to the back.(The lady in mix double.)
    #4. When you are pressured (smashed at or out of position) and froce to lift.

#5. IF U WANT TO LOSE THE GAME !!

6. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    DaveC, very good advice [​IMG]

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

No offense, but if the opponent does not do it "properly", with an obviously "hole" to attack, and you are still having a problem to defeat them, then I think you should analyzing your own game. :rolleyes:

I think the most effective way to to attack the front, either with an effective smash, or cross court drop (if you are covering your own front). As you said, if they never tend to move, put the shuttle into the holes (i.e. front corners) will give you a point, or at least, making her partner out of position.

I think your current situation is kinda like a few local female players here. They are decent club level players, and i have to say, I might lose to them if playing singles. Therefore, you can see how easily they can over power and over speed their female opponents. However, such players tend to lose easily in higher level mix double matches. They got too used to rely on their power and speed (during women events), and they trying to use this to go against more physical ready male opponents. Therefore, they got isolated in the back, and lose the "power battle". Usually, the relatively "weaker" but effective lady players are better mix double players, as they know their weakness, and they work well with their partners to effectively cover the "holes". Therefore, not only you can't easily pick on them, they can utilize their own strength (i.e. control) and more important, utilize their partners (who are usually stronger) by helping them to setup.

Running with a powerful stroke is nice, but need to use it effectively. ;)

8. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    If your female opponent is in the front then clear to one corner and when the male opponent returns the shot clear it to the other corner. The male opponent can't return the corner shots continuously so it may push the female player back.

The a real game of mix doubles both players move everywhere. The female player in the front all the time means that tactics aren't used properly.

9. DaveC

DaveC Regular Member

IT manager, Lifetime Badminton Player
    I Agree. that the whole idea of the game is to move your opponent "everywhere" while your opponent is trying to move you "everywhere".
    Whichever side that able to "move" and cover eachother and forcint shorts to mantain the Lady in her front position is always the controling pair.

Another thing that make a Good Lady Player in mix double is the Lady "Knows" when is the "only" right time to take the back or to move back to intercept drive shots when her partner is being pressured.

10. masmot

masmot Regular Member

self employed
    i think in mixed doubles. sometimes if the communication is good and got chemistry. we tend to play it open, means both players side by side but the women will mostly played in the upfront side to do the ball placing.mostly to the net. or actually pressurize the male player at the back there to go around the court,especially to the end corner.

but sometimes the male players are little bit arrogant and will always make noise, to the female players. "you just stay in front"."dont move', i'll cover you" and others..bla bla bla. if this is the case with my partner, then i will actually stay in front and do nothing..hahaha.

mostly the partners must communicate well with each other. they will always says female players are the 'lubuk' or 'person on target', especially when smashing. but telling you, sometimes the female are also good in defending.they just need to communicate well, as the male players will always seems to be so protective with the female partners and dont let them do the hard work. if the partners makes too much noise, even me myself will find i've little bit lost interest to play.

sometimes you must see how well is your female partners.if she is ok, then you should let them freely moved in the court.if she is kinda weak, then you protect her la.

that's all for myself and to other female coounterparts.

p/s: btw, i only played doubles, really sucks at singles and dont have good stamina also. :)

#10 masmot, Aug 1, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  11. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Club mixed doubles often involves the defective positional strategy of the woman being entirely relegated to a net role, even when she's in the firing line of heavy-artillery smashes. ;)

I won't comment here on the reasons for this defective strategy, as that's rather a delicate topic. ;)

But if you find yourself playing against such a pair, you really ought to have no trouble exploiting their positional mistake during your rearcourt attack:
    • Smashes to the sides are effective: the woman is too far forwards to intercept these, and the man can't cover the entire width of the doubles court by himself.
    • Smashes directly at the woman are effective, but only when aimed steeply; flat smashes can be blocked if the woman reacts quickly.
      • Do consider the safety of your opponent! If the woman is an inexperienced player, she may not be ready to protect her eyes. Smashing at the woman's face is a perfectly valid tactic, and experienced players know how to protect themselves; but for less capable players, the risk is very real. Safety first.
    • Very fast drop shots to the sides are probably your safest attacking shots, as they are almost guaranteed to obtain a lift. Aim them to land beyond the short service line, in the side tramlines.
    If you find yourself unable to exploit this basic positional weakness, then it probably indicates one of two issues:
    • Your tactical awareness is low: you don't know where your opponent's are standing, or you don't understand which shots to use.
    • Your technical ability to control shot angles is low; in particular, you may not have an effective range of fast cross-court drops (for when your opponents, although they should be defending, adopt a channel-attack formation).

#11 Gollum, Aug 1, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  12. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    hmmm....maybe you can hit a smash/fast drop to the sides and try to rotate yourself to the front, and your partner to the back, then your partner can smash the female opponent.
    Or if you're confident enough, just directly smash onto the female..

13. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Oh, I should note that my tactical suggestions above are intended mainly for the man.

If the opposing woman always stays at the front, then your partner -- the man -- should be the one exploiting her position with smashes and fast drops.

If your partner fails to play an effective attacking shot in this situation, then there's not much that you, as the woman, can do from the front!

Your partner should be able to use rearcourt attacking shots to create opportunities for you to attack decisively from the midcourt and net areas.

14. mingaling88

Student
    I try to smash directly at the females face when she is standing at the T..because the lady opponents who I play against cannot return smashes. I suppose I don't always run into the mixed doubles problem..this tends to only happen when I play with men who don't play mixed properly...they hit lots of shots to the men and don't attack the women enough.. :S
    It's unfortunate that at my club its only about having fun..it's not competitive play and the men don't want to be mean to the female opponent.

15. mingaling88

Student
    I think both my partners and I need to attack the opposing woman more often..than hitting to the opposing male. It's difficult because I have to learn how to play mixed by reading strategies on the Internet...we don't have REAL badminton coaches where I live..so I kind of just wing it when I play and try to place it right..
    But reading all the info here helps..I think I'll try and work on placing my pushes, drops, and smashes down the sidelines. Perhaps I was hitting too much to the man and not enough to the woman! Aiya :eek:

16. mingaling88

Student
    Can anyone help me answer this question?

If my partner clears the shuttle and we both go to sides (to defend)...if the male clears it cross court to me should I run and get the shuttle..or should my male partner? Also..is it a good idea to serve high to the female alot to get her away from the T??

17. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner

My opinion is that when the opponent cross court clear(after your partner cleared) to the your(lady) side, your partner should be well prepared for the clear return from the start.

Reason #1. He should have been standing a bit behind the center of the court since he should always position himself to defend the straight smash, and you(at the cross court) should have been a bit forward in comparison to his position. So, right the way you noticed the cross court clear(which takes a longer flight path) to your side, you should move forward to cover the net, while your partner moves quickly to the back to form the attacking formation and begin the attack.

Reason #2. The lady should avoid being push to the back, so as long as the situation allows the man to take the rear court, why would you(the lady) want to put yourself in a disadvantage position and fall into your opponent's game plan?

Regarding flick serve to the lady of the opponent side... I say it all depends on how fast she can move back... if she is very fast and can attack the flick serve a lot, then why put yourself in a disadvantage position right the way? If she is slow to react to it or very weak at attacking flick serves, then of course you will take advantage of her weakness.

By "flick serve", I mean a serve that is fast and just slight above the height of the player full extended arm + racket, not the kind you do in singles matches.

High serves(the ones used in singles) are not recommended in high level of play... you may still be able to use it to pick on beginners, but definitely not good at hight level doubles.. not even singles these days.

18. mingaling88

Student

Thanks for the mixed info..I'll definitely tell my partner to move closer to the middle line of the court (instead of side position) when he clears straight. I also think that I should serve high to the female from now on (95% of the females at my club are not strong in the back, have bad footwork..and cannot even handle hitting more than 2 strokes in the back in woman's doubles!). Unless she is standing way at the back I will try and serve high from now on.

Should the men try and serve high to the females too?? Should he step back if she doesn't have a good clear (ex: she can only clear at most half court from the back) and doesn't have a strong smash? Also..how low should I be crouching in front of the male when he serves behind me? I tend to have troubles moving to the side if he serves high to the opponents!

19. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    Wait, that's not what I meant... I meant that he should be on his side a bit behind the center of the court

20. mingaling88

Student
    OHH okay lol. He does that already :)