5 GOLDS FOR CHINA? LYB's mission impossible

Discussion in 'Olympics BEIJING 2008' started by sihar, Aug 14, 2008.

1. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    USA will welcome LYB anytime......hehe....we need someone to organize our US Badminton.....just in case he gets fired...

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    really? where did you hear that from?

all the reports i have read said he wants to "defend 3, aim 5"

3. V3i HoN6

V3i HoN6 Regular Member

What's wrong with setting a high goal for oneself?:rolleyes:
    But obviously we fail this time....

Anyway that is Xball's target and Xball doesn't represent the whole of MAS fans. And it is unofficial unlike LYB announce it to the media, at least i read it from Chinese media.

Still, you are right about it is nothing wrong about setting high target.
    But there's no one saying it is wrong at the first place. Just discuss about the possibility. Who were you and kwun were talking to?

4. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Prior to the games I thought in all of the events CHN were fragile.

In MS, Despite having three players BCL despite being a good player is not a winner. CJ is young and although has great desire there are players who can beat him. This leaves LD, and with LCW looking ominous and with ability to beat him he will be under extreme pressure. Now is the time to see if LD really is as good as he and the media make him out to be.

In WD normally the banker for CHN they have no Star pair who can sweep all before them. And we now have Du/Yu, the most inexperienced playing one of the most experienced, the koreans. This is 50/50 in my mind. It depends on LHJ ability to focus on two events.

In WS again a pretty strong chance they have vulnerability. IMO XXF cannot be relied on to win, ZN has shown weaknesses for the past two years and I don't think LL, WL or ZL are as good as the previous players and are still very young.

In MD It has never been a formality.

In XD, He/Yu are young and vulnerable to certain playing styles and ZB/GL despite sweeping all before them when they started ZB showed a weakness in World Championship, which ZJ never showed on the big occasion.

All in all their results with the exception of the WD and XD can be regarded as perfect.

Realistically they should get the WS gold now it has panned out, but in WD i say 50% chance, MS 45% chance, MD 25% chance, XD 20%. They will get a bucket load of Bronze & Silver, but it is Gold China Government, people & Media will judge them on.

5. gillybean18

gillybean18 Regular Member

It sounds like:

4 or 5 golds = best
    3 golds = can be reported as a victory
    2 golds = slight disappointment
    0 or 1 gold = bad

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    but I know who's the best now without media's help anyway, it's LD:D He's #1 ranked for the longest time i can remember. As i have said before, winning a gold medal at a OG doesn't make one the best in the world, only best for that week of the competition. Just that OG garner a higher public image because OG is shown around the world and promoted as a premiere event.
    Look at all the past MS Gold winners, alan budi K, JXP, erik poul larsen, TH. Surely they are all very good but can not be said as world's best or even legendary. Yes, there are more press coverage on LD than LCW so expectation from LD is higher.

7. XtC-604

XtC-604 Regular Member

Store Manager
    One now...WMC is done

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

if u read my post, i was replying to sihar

9. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    In Indonesian newspapers... They wrote that LYB 'sumpah mati' [= death swear]... he will get 5 golds for China.

For INA team:
    0 gold = oh darn, there goes our 'Olympic Gold' streak since 1992... :( Oh my it is raining heavily and our roof is full of holes...
    1 gold = can be reported as a victory! Hurraayy, our streak did not end! :)
    2 gold = fantastic! We repeat the 1992 glory! :D Give extra bonus for the gold medalists please! ;) At least Rp 1 billion each, I heard...
    3 gold = :eek: really?!? ....See, there's nothing wrong with INA badminton management... :rolleyes: let's continue doing what we do today and improve nothing! :p:eek: Why fix the roof when the sun is shining this brightly... :rolleyes:

#29 Krisna, Aug 14, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  10. huangkwokhau

sales & design

:D:D....this cracks me out.....very funny.....since when you become a comedian...:D

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

discussion is fine but do u see any chinese fans create a discussion thread about - 2 GOLDS FOR MALAYSIA? X BALL'S MISSION IMPOSSIBLE, or threads for any missed goals of other countries? who doesn't want to win all the gold medals? But all the doubters seem to hold LYB accountable for 5 golds it seem. Maybe i miss something other have read in the news but i only read that LYB had acknowledged international badminton level has risen in recent years. The specific effects (jumping off building, getting fired,etc) have on LYB to the numbers to golds expected i did not read. Even if it is printed in the papers, likely hyped statement made by journalists to sell papers, just like overhearing the so call 'break his leg' threat made by LYB. Even if people read that chinese gymnast coach would jump off building if his target is not met, it's is just one way to motivate his players. Hey, it did worked, i believe the chinese women and men gymnast teams won the gold. Now the losers are changing their tune, saying chinese women members are all too young, under 16. If u truly believe shinese coaches start jumping off building or into the traffic for failure, then all your rackets in your gym bag are prolly all fakes made in china.

disclaimer: even if a coach or 2 DID jumped off buildings, it would be pushed off, not leaped off:D:D:p:p

#31 cooler, Aug 14, 2008
  12. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    Where should I sign as a volunteer ( to push)..??:D:D...I have qualification for that..:D

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    in your application you will need to fill in the field:

"previous experience"

14. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    So true.

Has LYB ever made any drastic empty promises in his career so far? Not to my knowledge... at most the 2003 Surdiman cup, but I don't think he guaranteed anything back then either... so what makes people think he would put himself in a corner or a point of no return this time by stating such a high and must achieve goal?

hmmm.... 16 and under.......:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p ....dreaming in heaven already.:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p just kidding.;)

15. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    Yes...tons of it: pushing carts, pushing cars, .....:D:D

16. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    In an interview in this years AE magazine he claimed he wanted coach 100 world champions ad that he was at 60 something now.

That is the only confirmed Statement I can think of off the top of my head.

17. cooler

cooler Regular Member

if u dunno, the chinese invented red tapes. The 'push off' incident will be reported as an suicide or an accident. To prevent any scandal leaks, the successful job applicant must possess superb paper pushing skills. Sorry Huangkwokhau, although your past experience of pushing physical objects is quite outstanding and your volunteerism is admirable but your skill set is INADEQUATE for this job:p:p:cool:

#37 cooler, Aug 14, 2008
  18. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

True. Just like how the west are pin-pointing on the best Olympic ceremony ever done in human history. Jealousy.

So if China couldn't get 5 gold it would still be our win, nevertheless we have once again slapped LYB face big time by stopping his evil plan. :rolleyes:

19. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    big difference between "want" and "will".:p

20. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    :mad::mad:...............................:mad::mad::D