increasing badminton's popularity

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Mini Me, Jun 8, 2003.

1. Mini Me

Mini Me Member

2. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

Hasn't badminton always been popular in Sweden? (compared to US anyway.)
    Interesting she lists horseback riding in front of badminton though...

3. unregistered

unregistered Regular Member

haha

hopefully that would add a challenge to the asian countries.

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Sorry to bring this up, I got 180' opposite feedback when I metioned something like this.

Once I was telling several friends (man enough, at least, they think) even pop/movie stars like badminton. I think I metioned a female's name (Sally Yeh???), and guess what. They started to laugh, and say, "see... we were right... badminton is just a GIRL's sport..."

Then, I realized that they won't listen, and refuse to accept the truth anyway. So, I just told me, "whatever u think, and i don't think u ppl truly respect sports anyway."... Left with with a big :mad: sign on my face.

5. ArchDevil145

ArchDevil145 Regular Member

student
    Man that sucks. Badminton, a girl's sport? No way! They should know better.

6. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    So football, running around after an inflatable piece of leather...while screaming at others and kissing eachother and ripping off shirts to team mates isn't a bit girly?

7. Aleik

Aleik Regular Member

Let's not get encumbered by detail...(is the taxma
    The statistics say 5 million people play badminton in the UK (maybe!). That's about 1/12 of the UK's population.

You're living in a town. If you work in a large, depressing office block with about 300 employees, take a lunch hour one day to talk badminton with your 25 new buddies. Form a club with these people, and make three teams of graded levels. Organise a night in on of the town's 5 sports hall where you can all meet to practice and play matches against other Office Block teams. You can have an Office Block league, with three divisions. Call them "storeys". :D

You can be sure that the sports hall has at least two nights open this week and none of the other 8000 local players wishes to play the best sport in the world over the next few days. Not to mention, MORE popular sports like football are sure to have very few nights booked this week. Therefore, in a few months, two of the town's sports halls will be closed down.

5 million play, sports halls get shut down. But the stuff linking all this makes no sense. I'm OK with it. I'm too tired to walk to badminton tonight, so I'll just go four houses up and hope someone is driving there to play in the same game as me.

The whole of the UK's badminton raquets, end to end forming a track, would take 4 days to drive down if one kept within the national speed limit.

Aleik.

8. Californian

Californian Regular Member

With all the different activities she lists, I doubt she is all that serious about badminton.

Maybe Mag (or someone else from Sweden) could give us a better report.

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    hehe, maybe mag representing BF could give an upfront personal interview with her;)

10. Tezta.com

Tezta.com Regular Member

I stay at home as much as possible
    Hey Cheung didnt you see sally playing at the S. china club recently? :)

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Good memory, yes I did!

12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yah, Mag should take up the challenge. A golden opportunity. At least you have something in common (i.e. baddy) with her for a start! Also your intellect appears matching as well. English may be a good common ground to start off instead of Swedish. Hope the distance, even if you are living quite far apart, is no barrier.

#12 Loh, Jun 9, 2003
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2003
  13. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Haha, that's pretty awkward! However, it's probably a sport she enjoys and plays it once every year haha.

*Dreams of Miss Sweden vsing some other country in a badminton match because it's part of the contest!*

Hahaha

If they never played badminton, don't jump to conclusion!

14. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Hi all,

To increase badmintons popularity, each country should travel their own country and create these exhibitions of world class players and get them to interact. Once people come in and see the skill that these top players can produce, then it would widen their minds a bit. A chance to interact with these players on court would be even more beneficial as they would get a taste for it and want to play when they leave. These sorts of exhibitions are happening more and more and this has increased badmintons popularity. These exhibitions and getting close to the worlds best, i feel, is the right way.

Matt

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

looking at the number of new members in the introduction thread, look like the beijing OG had given badminoton a higher profile. U can't hold a good sport game down:)

16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

forgot to add, as more people in china are exposed to new sports after watching this OG, badminton and table tennis would lose some appeal to the new sports, relatively speaking. I still see a net gain tho IMO

17. jump17

jump17 Regular Member

Jet Li was on Conan O'Brien and he mentioned he plays badminton actively to stay in shape.:)

18. cooler

cooler Regular Member

hehe:D
    ----------------------------

09:09, May 15, 2009

BWF deputy president satisfied with status quo of badminton
    Paisan Rangsikitpho, deputy president of Badminton World Federation (BWF), said on Thursday that he was satisfied with the status quo of badminton and its ranking in the Olympic family went up.

"Now the ranking of badminton in the Olympics went quite high and I think the ranking is around 14 or 15 now," he said without elaborating on what standard is used.

On rumors that badminton might be dropped from the Summer Olympics, Rangsikitpho said: "26 sports are guaranteed until 2020, including badminton."

"IOC is happy with us as in Athens (Games) we had 32 NOCs and in Beijing (Games) we had 50. And we have improved our TV audience," he added.

China plans to re-launch its badminton league later this year or next year, which may cause conflicts between the schedules of the league and BWF events.

"I hope not. If Chinese players don't participate, they won't get world ranking points. In the Olympic qualifying year, if Chinese players play in the league rather than world points events, they won't get into the Olympics. Which one is more important?" said Rangsikitpho.

Rangsikitpho also expressed a strong will to boost BWF's partnership with China in future.

"We hope China can help the development of badminton in smaller countries in different continents, and we need Chinese coaching and techniques," said Rangsikitpho.

"We had a meeting with Chinese Badminton Association and they offered to help."

Source:Xinhua

19. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^China's role in badminton..^^

..is similar to the U.S.'/NBA's role in basketball..Eventhough it wasn't the Chinese who invented the game, whereas basketball was invented/found by YMCA's Dr. James Naismith (yes, a Canadien;)) and evolved to become the NBA..;)

Btw, it should be interesting to see who will yield first, CBA (and its agenda) or BWF??..hmm..