Time to get a new racket (opinion?)

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by mickoz, Aug 24, 2008.

1. mickoz

mickoz Regular Member

Software Developper
    Hi,

Some months ago, the frames of my racket broke. :( My racket was a Yonex Carbonex 15 Long (2U, G3, oval head, color: black and gold). I probably had it for like 8 years. Might be a sign time, I don't know if stringing did not help? (it says 16-20 lbs on it, but latest years I strung it at 21/23 [main/cross]) However the racket is dead now. Even thought I was already considering trying a new racket, I really liked that one!

(I remember breaking so much frame of my college rackets [yeah, while hitting!], at least that one lasted long!)

Now I am gonna start playing badminton back in some weeks and I gotta find myself a new racket ASAP!!!

I am unsure if I want a really lite racket and isometric head, but I am at least willing to try (sometime it is just an impression we have because we are used to something and don't know better/different). My Cab 15 was lite, but not too much (2U like I said).

While I think of it, back in college (8-10 years ago), before buying this racket, I was playing with school's racket that were quite heavy, and it seems like it was making my arm "stronger", I wonder if any has an opinion on this? (e.g. practice with a heavier racket) --- that maybe belong to another thread (if none already exists I will probably start one).

My style of play? I like to smash (and I like when it does a nice noise!), do tight net play and of course try to grab everything (need control baby for these long points). ;-) I like to aim lines / corners and like to clears a lot (and have no problem to generate enough power to clear from both end).

I found that when stringing with BG-80, it gaves me the best feeling and sound, but the string probably did not last as long as with BG-65 (but longevity was still acceptable). If you have any comments on string too, let me know. But I am probably gonna string my new racket with BG-80 (or similar, for example I see that there is BG-85 and BG-65ti listed in High Hitting Sound at Yonex website, and I never tried a ti string, mostly BG-65 and BG-80 only).

-----

Now my options?

I live in Montreal (Quebec, Canada) [I usually play at College Ahuntsic the weekend BTW] and here is the store that I know of that are available to me:

http://badmintonzon.com/
    - they have a yonex nanospeed 8000 on special at 159.99$ (usually 249.99$ they say), it seems like a good price? (with taxes it will be 184$, this place is also quite near me, so I can go look easily at their rackets)
    - they seems to have a large selection of rackets, if you have any suggestion in what they have, let me know

http://www.sportsexperts.ca/
    - I will sure looks there in case they have a special price on a good rackets, but they do not show much choice online

http://www.racketsportsmontreal.ca/
    - it is owned by a member of this board (Jinryu)
    - they say their yonex racket are import (I suppose he won't sell fakes)
    - they sell the yonex ns8000 for 180$ (no taxes thought, which is 15% here)
    - they have a carbonex 21 for 140$
    - they mostly carry SOTX products (in fact I bought a Woven-9 for my GF from them, it is an interesting racket, but I took a very small handle for her, and that might explain why I think I did not like how it was vibrating sometime, maybe I have to try it more or there is another reason --- however it was easier for me to do backhand with it from what I remember)
    - they say no warranty on yonex racket... I did not need any for mine, but I wonder what kind of warranty yonex usually gives (probably X days if it breaks)

-----

What are my feeling/plan?

I feel like sticking with Yonex for now. I might try other brand for a 2nd/3rd rackets later.

I will prefer to stay with a long racket (27 inches) as I am used to that size.

If I had to do a fast choice, the Yonex NS8000 on special at badmintonzon seems like an interesting fast choice to me. I don't mind to try a little ligther racket (3U vs. my old 2U). However, on their website I see they only have G4 and G5 grip size. Mine is currently a G3. However, I will check in store if the size really bother me and I guess I can just put extra grips over it if not. Does it makes such a difference to put too much padding vs. a racket that already is the right size? ---- the review for that racket I read here seems interesting... I am also worry like some about it not being heavy enough, but I am curious to try and see if I will like a lite racket. If you have any opinion on that, let me know.

Later I might be tempted to get another oval shaped Carbonex. I guess the latest yonex model is carbonex 30MS and it seems to got good reviews here too. But that might depends on how I feel with an ISO (if I end up getting one). I saw some online store sell the Carbonex 21 at cheap price too. Some people seems to be mad for the Cab 20 here it seems.

-----

Your opinion?

So, with all what I said, do you guys have racket(s) suggestion? (preferably in the list of rackets that are available near me, e.g. badmintonzon, but I am maybe gonna buy a second one online later). Price is not really a problem, but if there is a deals for a good racket, I prefer to take advantage of it!

Also, if you know other store in Montreal, or even good online store, feel free to give me the links. I am also interested to know the place you consider the best to get string job done.

Now time to do some more research, I will probably visit the some store (like badmintonzon) in less than a week and try to make a choice.

Thanks!

2. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    what type of racket are you looking for? Heavy head, balanced or head light? What is your budget?

3. mickoz

mickoz Regular Member

Software Developper
    Phandrew,

To answer your question:
    - The type, nothing particular in my head (see: not sure, but I would guess either even balance or a bit heavier head, but maybe I just don't see how a light head can help me and who know I might like it). I had a Carbonex 15 long. I thought it was even-balanced, but I could be wrong as I think I read some carbonex where head heavy in review (e.g. cab 30ms). I tried Woven-9 a little (racket I bought to my GF), not sure I was in love, but I think it was way easier to do backhand, and AFAIK it is head heavier, so that might explain why it was easier. But I have not really tested much that Woven-9. Thing I remember I did not like was a vibration feeling and maybe the small grip (it is probably G5 or something, it is way smaller than my Carbonex G3).
    - My budget, like I said, I do not really have limit. However if I can take advantage of a deal, I will (I am usually "cheap", but when it comes to thing like a badminton racket I will use to have fun for multiple years, I do not really mind paying 100-200$ or a bit more if necessary, it is a good investment in the end as it is something I enjoy really much)

I tried to say all up, but maybe I said too much (!) or not the right info.

I was really tempted to buy this Nanospeed 8000 at 160$ at badmintonzon. Review were good, even from player that were worry about it being too "lite". However now I see that all they have is G5 grip (they had G4 and G5 last time I checked their website), which deceive me a bit. I still am unsure about the grip size I will go with. I had a G3. I looked fast fast today at shop between G3, G4, G5 (but had to leave before I was really sure if they were OK)... I think G5 is a bit too small, so G4 or G3 might do the job + I can put additionnal grip over I guess if I feel the G4 is too small (unless it is not good to do so). I might ask them if they can still offer special on racket they do not have in stock. What you think of Yonex Nanospeed 8000? And do you think it is a good price for 160-180$? (it seems to sell 200-250 in a lot of place here...

Well on badmintonzon.com website, it says that NS8000 is even balanced... but some people in review seemed to say it was a bit head light... but that is maybe because they compared it with more head-heavy racket they had.

I guess if I can satisfy myself with the grip size I will try the NS8000, but I am willing to heard other racket suggestion as I might buy a 2nd racket too sooner or later (or just look at deal that is around). I tried to describe my way of playing, but maybe I mostly have to read other people comments to make myself an idea.

4. mickoz

mickoz Regular Member

Software Developper
    Unfortunately I called badmintonzon today and they only have NS8000 with G5 left, and if I wanted a G4 or G3, it would cost me more as they would have to re-order. Maybe they are selling end of stock. Stinks. :( --- I wonder if adding grip can make it enough thick... and is that bad to do (e.g. bring a G5 to a G4-G3 with grip) for the racket? But who know, maybe it is only because I am used to G3 I say this... I do not have that big hand.

However it seems some online shop sell legit yonex racket at good price (e.g. wingee), I may consider these (especially shop like wingee have old Carbonex at very low price, that may interest me since I liked my Carbonex) or I may even consider looking for a SOTX locally to start the season. But I only have like 2 weeks to find at least a decent racket to start (and then can shop for another one). Maybe I should buy a heavy racket like I used to use before I buy my carbonex... might make my arms stronger! :D

5. Shayde

Shayde Regular Member

Secondary School Student
    Um you should demo the Nanospeed8000 first, if u can, to see if u like it, i tried my friends ns8000 and i disliked it due to the lack of power. I suggest you stick to the Carbonex Series, for the length and feel... maybe try Cab30MS, or u could move to Armortec Series. But i think if u buy a Nanospeed 8000, the transition between the 2 rackets will be to great. Unless you can generate power yourself. Btw if the grip is too small just buy overgrips, it helps.

6. mickoz

mickoz Regular Member

Software Developper
    Shayde, by the way, I tried a NS8000 (SP Coded a badminton friend bought over eBay apparently from a Canadian seller some years ago, but I assume it is not fake since he paid high price, but who know!). It was not the same feeling as the Carbonex for sure. I like the shape and feeling in my hand, but was not amazed by the feeling when hitting. He said after two years he could not like it either (he likes Carbonex too). My only other hypothesis is that his string is not the best (he says it is still the original string), who know if he put a BG-80 at the "rigth tension" if we won't like the racket more. However, till I ever get a chance to try again this racket with another string, I have ruled out NS8000 from my list. By the way, I started a new thread to make my final choice.

I suppose you are also someone who like Carbonex and that you suggest Armortec rackets outside Carbonex series, but feel free to voice your opinion in my new thread. Thanks!

7. HaoFung

HaoFung Regular Member

RsM sells SP coded rackets and they are genuine but without warranty like all rackets other than CD.

If you like G3 grip I would suggest a G4+overgrip for added confort and a a slightly smaller grip is something you get used to =)

the Cab15 is ~ even balance depending how you tuned it

Cab 30 are good but hard to find, also as the trend is going to isometric racket you should give them a try

If you have a budget of 200$, I would suggest you try other rackets in different clubs, find the one you like and order it online otherwise you might end up paying a 50$ prenium for time + warranty which isnt too much if you think of it.

Rackets I could recommend you trying:

MP99 - available @ Sports Experts
    MP100
    Arcsaber 7 or 10
    AT500 - cheaper and available @ Sports Experts

The N8k is very stiff, I also recommend people to try very stiff rackets for some time before they decide... I personally hate them cuz im a n00b ^^

8. mickoz

mickoz Regular Member

Software Developper
    HaoFung, thanks you very much for the feedback.

I will for sure try G4 + overgrip for at least one racket (I plan to buy a couple of them now even if I managed to keep one for around 8 years [with 3 years of more intense play] and even if I am usually cheap, I guess I am to a point where I just want to get some rackets [probably like a girl who go shopping because she is sad, ha!]). Slighty smaller than G3 might be OK (G3.5). But way more smaller = no, at least so far I felt very incomfortable with what I tried that was very small (plus I am probably used to what I have use since years).

My actual plan is mostly documented in this thread: "Reload this Page Recommendation (for a former Carbonex 15 long player)" (http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60668). At first, I am gonna get one or two Carbonex (20/21MS) and one of the newest one (AT, MP or Ti) [buying online because way cheaper for the models I want]. At least that is where I lean for now (but I don't want to take too much time to do my choice, so probably max this weekend I am gonna do that choice). And I might buy other rackets after (Cab30ms, Other High End not chosen, Non-Yonex, etc.).

Maybe the NS8k, I did not like because of its stiffness and I would have to play differently with it (and I am way less powerful than I was some years ago when I was "young", hehe, and that might help with that kind of racket). Armortec are supposed to be a bit less stiff than NS8k from the spec I see now (badmintonzon) and I think I understood it would be less difficult to adapt.

I am trying to try some different rackets when I can, but I only play at Ahuntsic now.

When I bought my Carbonex 15 long when I was student, I did not go for the "highest number" back in time (which was probably 20 or 21), but I was very happy with that purchase. ;-)

For some reason the rackets I tried lately, I did not like one that much (well to be honnest I liked some part of one, some part of other, e.g. some racket had a good feel, but the grip was not my taste, but that is easily changeable). Maybe a part of how I feel (not comfortable) doesn't help either! ;-) For example, I liked a Ti-3 or something for the feeling (but I did not particulary liked his grip).

What I mainly search is a good control and feeling when I hit. I like to do very tight drop on net plus I like when I drive or smash to hear that sound! (And like I said, the string also play a big role from my experience, at least for the sound part!)

Well I am gonna consider your suggestion in my choice! So far people recommended me more MP-99 and AT than my other potential choice (Ti-10 [only new generation are easily available]). Might be a battle between AT900T and MP-99.

9. mickoz

mickoz Regular Member

Software Developper
    HaoFung, also, about the Oval vs. Isometric... I had to do the same choice back in time when I bought my Carbonex. They were also a trend 8+ years ago from what I remember. ;-) However as I liked to smash, I decided to go with that model (and long model) to add extra power. Back in time when trying ISO, I guess I felt the sweetspot was larger (so more forgiving), but that the power was not the same and I was playing so much with my ISO that I guess I was very used to its spot. However now, I play way less (only once a week in the non-summer season), who know. But one of my new choice will definitely have an ISO shape. ;-)

10. HaoFung

HaoFung Regular Member

I got a Cab 7 LONGZ ^^ still in good condition cept the 428937423 scratches on it. IMHO Isometric were crap when they came out and BK rackets were much better @ that time but I picked Yonex before the evil empire rose to power =P

Armortecs are really expensive here in Montreal, your better off with the MP99 since it is discontinued and still available here cuz no one buys rackets...

I got both the AT900P and T for you to try but not for long. I dont like the head heaviness that much, they play great but just not my type. Also I dont think you should get too many different rackets, from old carbonex models to new high-tech toys, the difference is significant to screw your play and timing.