A Year Later: Let's vote on the New/Old Scoring System again.

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by kwun, Jan 12, 2007.

?

New or Old Scoring System?

1. Old - Service based 3x15 scoring system

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. New - Rally based 3x21 scoring system

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. jchan04

jchan04 Regular Member

the new rally-point system makes the game much more exciting! the game is much faster and it motivates players that every rally counts. think about it.
    the old system is much more relaxed and tiring. because in doubles when it was your serve, you got two chances to score. and that way; the game could be stuck at 0-0 for a very very long time for a singles game.
    so having a rally-point system is very beneficial for attacking players and it makes players to be more sensitive to every shot. and they hav to be accurate and precise with all decision made. so all in all. this new system made badminton a better sport. disagree? i want to hear why.

2. timmehtong

timmehtong Regular Member

I prefer the new scoring system. It requires you to exert speed and stamina to keep the bird going since every single point counts now.

3. toddster

toddster Regular Member

Grad. Student PE instructor
    Maybe this poll should be reposted. Especially after the current Olympic Games.

I would, but I an a retard in creating new polls :p

I would say close this thread and start over.

Toddster

4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    To start a new "After the Beijing Olympic Games 2008" poll ... "NSS vs OSS"

Agree with the last few posts.

Right now, this poll here is showing:
    45.82% for the OSS
    54.18% for the NSS

Perhaps when kwun finds time, he would start a new "After the Beijing Olympic Games 2008" poll ...

"NSS vs OSS".

:):):)

5. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Maybe it is not a good idea to start a new poll on NSS vs OSS because the result is now obvious-in favour of the NSS. A new poll will make some people who voted in the earlier poll less forthcoming and may even avoid coming back to BC.

6. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Fans of the OSS are now liking the NSS

taneepak ... I don't think so.

Lately, I have come across many fans of the OSS to have changed their minds... and now liking the NSS.

7. 2NDround

2NDround Regular Member

Are you sure they change their mind? Or have they learn to live with it?:rolleyes::D

By the way, have you noticed that many who vote for NSS recently are new members? They probably had little experience with OSS.

#387 2NDround, Aug 19, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  8. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Almost all tournament organisers are for the NSS

:D:D:D 2NDround ... What I have found is that:
    (1) Just over 50% of tournament players are for the NSS
    (2) Just under 100% of tournament organisers are for the NSS

Almost all tournament organisers have found that the "Event/Time Schedule" of matches played under the NSS much easier to predict/schedule.

9. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    I prefer the old system because when i use the new system i can't remember who is meant to serve.

10. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Who is meant to serve next in the NSS... We only need to remember 2 things

phandrew ... I suppose you are referring to the using of NSS in a game of Doubles when it is "Service Over".

For the NSS, it is as easy as described below:
    When it is "Service Over", to know who is meant to serve to whom, we only need to remember 2 things:

(1) What is the current score?
    This tells us whether we should serve from the right or from the left court.

(2) Before the start of the previous rally, who was serving to whom?
    This tells us where/how all the 4 players were positioned playing the last rally.

11. green.blood

green.blood Regular Member

Feather basher
    Having played both systems, OSS is my choice. Players tend to play with more finnesse and techniques rather than speed and power. I love the energy sapping nature of the game and players need to be more tactical with OSS.

We witnessed how LD reigns superiority against LCW in the recent 2008 olympics final but to me what Zhao did against Joko in 1990 was truly a masterclass performance. We can see how different the single games were played for those who watched.

12. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

A truly masterclass LD's performance at the MS Final at Beijing Olympic Games 2008

If we were playing the OSS at the Beijing Olympic Games 2008, LD would have defeated LCW under 5 in each of the 2 games. Luckily, it was played with the NSS... hence saving LCW's embarrassment. :eek::eek::eek:

Yes, it was truly a masterclass LD's performance at the MS Final.

13. green.blood

green.blood Regular Member

Feather basher
    Yepp, if OSS it could be under 5 for LCW. Best ever display from LD...

14. 2NDround

2NDround Regular Member

Tournament Organiser don't count;)

We were talking about liking OSS or NSS when playing badminton, so prediction of Event / Time Schedule also do not count;)

Just below 50% of tournament of players like OSS - not bad, in fact quite good in favor of OSS, when you consider that their successes or failures are in the hands of the officials who are almost 100% in favour of NSS:D

15. vlkbad

vlkbad Regular Member

Counting by serve, it was 16-3 or so in the 2nd game, I lost count towards the end. It got to 15-1 before LCW managed to salvage some pride.

btw, I don't see any point in continuing this poll or having new ones. If nobody pays attention to what the players have been saying, why bother voting?

16. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Badminton has evolved and it will continue to evolve further

vlkbad ... That's the point I was trying to say to green.blood.

Badminton has evolved and it will continue to evolve further.

Today, our players tend to play with finesse and techniques together with speed and power.

Playing with the NSS, the energy sapping nature is still a factor if players are evenly skilled and when their match could last one hour or more. But our players do not need to go there.

Players now want to concentrate to be more tactical from the start of the match. They will try to win a match ASAP, without needing to sap up their opponents' energy first.

17. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

OSS or NSS: It will depend on whether we play recreational or competitive Badminton

2NDround ... What you have said was what my trainees (playing recreational Badminton) are saying too... "When we play with shorter rallies, we get less hits and the fun of hitting the shuttlecock is gone".

Yes, liking the OSS or the NSS will depend on whether we are playing recreational or competitive Badminton.

From what I have posted above, it shows that many of our tournament players in Melbourne, Australia are still not competitive enough, as compared to tournament players from many Asian countries.

18. vlkbad

vlkbad Regular Member

It hasn't evolved naturally. This is a change imposed by fiat. You seriously cannot tell the difference?

Tactical, at the expense of strategic. No thanks.

19. toddster

toddster Regular Member

Grad. Student PE instructor
    It has been a while since I have come back to this forum, but I take personal offense to this statement!

Event organizers needs MUST be acknowledged by the badminton community. In fact, if it was not for Event organizers THERE WOULD BE NO EVENTS!!!

Ok, I apologize for my rant there. Please forgive me. But when making choices on the future of badminton, all parts of the Badminton FAMILY deserves the respect to be herd. My vision of the badminton FAMILY includes Experienced Players, New Players, Coaches, Event Organizers, Umpires, AND the ignorant public. When we want to make changes for this sport we should think of the bigger picture.

On a personal note.... As an event organizer (he he I felt frustrated by the quote above, but don't worry, I have thick skin) I prefer Rally Point Scoring.

As, a player, I prefer the Old Scoring System (but I must admit that I was taught tactics for the OSS, so I many of my original strategies are based on the OSS, and I need to adjust to different Strategies for the NSS).

As a Educator/Coach, I prefer the Rally Point Scoring System (noobs seem to pick up the NSS over the OSS). As an appointed badminton community leader, I need to know to put my personal biases aside, and consider what is best for the badminton community as a whole.

Ha ha, I am sorry, but I will end my rant now. Don't worry, I did not take what 2NDRound typed as a personal attack. 2NDRound, please keep sharing your opinion, as a community/family we can all learn.

Again, maybe its time for me to become less of a retard and recreate this poll. What do you guys think?

Toddster

20. viver

viver Regular Member

Hmm, is there a point recreating the pool?

You may get people voting and get different results. Will it change the preferences of the players? Will it be reflecting the reality. I still play the 15-point server score (to me this is badminton) and not the 21-point pingminton. :eek:

At the end, what I think is that badminton itself failed. It had to change to please people foreign to badminton, not because the game was not exciting. People can tell the whole world a million of reasons why badminton needed to change the scoring system.

Looking back at the old argument - tennis matches last longer than badminton. Wonder why nobody complains about the length, why no organizers are complaining (I have not heard publicly) and still get that many hours of broadcasting.

Badminton with all the 'exciting' changes, here in Canada I still can't watch the big matches on TV. When I was in Europe, I went to big sports stores and could not find badminton equipment. Any explanation? :confused: :rolleyes: