Round-the-back shot

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by TranslatorGuy, Sep 16, 2008.

1. TranslatorGuy

TranslatorGuy Regular Member

How would one train for such a shot? I intend to learn this technique as an ad hoc move should I get caught on the opposite side of my racquet-holding hand.

2. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    Just swing round and find out where your racquet head ends up, then get somebody to do some flat hitting towards you. Play backhands then swing round the back and hope you hit it and it goes the right way.
    Its just like any other shot just try it and with practice the timing will come, and so will variations.

3. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    this shot comes naturally the better you become overall. the better you get in terms of court awareness, racquet control, co-ordination and sensing the shuttle. all this comes as you play more and more. there's not really a way to train this shot because none of the professionals spend much time training for shots you use as often as george bush displays logic.

only time i like to try and play these shots is messing around at club.

4. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    haha that trick shot, its not really a great shot overall like its used as either a trick or if your racquet is out of position etc but to do it you have to know where you racquet is and the angle of your racquet face etc. personally ill throw that in here and there when im just playing for fun but in a tournament i dont really try to do it, it has happened but it wasnt intentional.

so theres a few ways to practice that, you can hit drives with a partner and if the oppertunity presents itself that it happens to go to your around the back side then you try to play the shot but that could take some time.

another way (and probally alot easier) is to use the wall, hit the shuttle against a wall cause you can place it and hit it so that it will come back at you on your around the back side and then just attempt to play the shot. you have more control here and will be able to practice it much easier.

lastly you can try it in some games when your just fooling around with friends of course wouldnt try to do it in a serious game unless the oppertunity really presented itself and had a big lead. or can try it when rallying around with friends.

there are alot of international players who can do it but i highly doubt they train that shot exclusively more so if the oppertulity presents itself they could do it, its just like the between the legs smash return. its a crowd pleaser but doesnt really help you during the game unless you can place it amazingly well or your opponent is so in shock they dont know what to do with the return. well keep practicing it then hope all goes well.

5. TranslatorGuy

TranslatorGuy Regular Member

Cheers for the advice :)

Practising against the wall sounds like the most plausible option for me, ta!

6. airsteins

airsteins Regular Member

The round the back shot should not be used unless totally necessary.

You will find that in a really fast rally, it will come naturally over time.
    I've played rallys before where I was on the defense and someone smashes to your forearm and then stright towards your left hip. As this is so fast, the only way to get there if you have very little time is to spin and use the round the back shot.

However, this is a habit that you want to avoid.
    When defending, ensure that you hold the racket in the middle (ie not to the left or right)
    If you lean more to the right side (forhand grip) when defending, you are more likely to play the behind the back shot. If you hold the racket in the middle in a backhand grip, then you can take the shuttle quickly on both sides.

Hope that makes sense.

7. huynd

huynd Regular Member

If you use a backhand grip, with proper technique then there's no need to play round the back. The defense with back hand grip and wrist flick is much faster to me. However there are times I wish I could play a "between the legs" shot. It's when I am in a desperate defensive situation, where there are lot of open space, and my opponent has already been very close to the net. If he pushes the shuttle right to my lower body, it is very hard for me to defend - no time and space for racket swing if I keep the racket in front of my body. A between the legs would save that shot, although I would be unlikely to secure the rally anyway.