Am I too heavy for badminton?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by ScorpionG, Oct 6, 2008.

1. ScorpionG

ScorpionG New Member

Hi. I am 231 lbc (105 kg). It's how I am build, I am not fat. Is it too heavy to move fast enoghf in badminton? Can I become an Elite player with my weight?

2. martin8768

martin8768 New Member

sudent
    how old are you?

3. ScorpionG

ScorpionG New Member

Ou yeah sorry, 25.

4. hhwoot

hhwoot Regular Member

Graduate Student
    Well then, how fast can you move?

5. ScorpionG

ScorpionG New Member

Pretty f fast but I mean is not it an unideal weight for a "single" player? Would not I be owned by someone who weights like 75kg?
    I am tall so maybe it's an advantage vs. disadvantage with a light but shorter player?

6. hhwoot

hhwoot Regular Member

Graduate Student
    It's not ideal because you would need to move around a lot at the elite level (especially in singles). Therefore even if you can move as quickly as the other player (or even faster), rapidly changing your larger inertia would tire you out much quicker.

Being tall is better than being short, but also carry negatives (slower defense against shots to the body). I think stamina would be a very large detriment with 100kg.

7. wocdam

wocdam Regular Member

Professional
    so far i have not seen any top 15 player that weighs more than 95kgs. and look at all the top players now, most of them are about 70 to 78kgs. but still can play badminton at your weight. i weigh more than you, so no worries. but i only play for fun.

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    We should ask the height:), then calculate the BMI.

9. wocdam

wocdam Regular Member

Professional
    what if my BMI exceeds 30, Dr Cheung?

10. hhwoot

hhwoot Regular Member

Graduate Student
    I don't doubt him when he says that he's not fat. And BMI won't be able to tell us that anyways. :)

Muscles are needed for speed, the fastest sprinters have large and powerful legs. But, speed is not the only thing, endurance is very important (although to a lesser extent in the 21-point system). Muscle is weight, fat is weight, both will need the same amount of energy to move. That's the reason long distance runners are thin, there's no way to move huge muscles for a long time.

11. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I doubt that any of the Elite players weight that much, so probably the answer is no.

...but it's hardly the most significant barrier to becoming an elite player. ;) Losing a few pounds is trivial compared to the skills, tactical understanding, and fitness that you need.

12. ScorpionG

ScorpionG New Member

Hhwoot, you seem like an intelligent individual :) I thought that I am born with a weaker heart or something seems I always got tired faster then my opponents(recently from class B). You really made things clear to me, thank you very, very much. I understood all you wrote with some help from dictionary.com did not understood what did you meant about body shots you said I would be slower at those, why, because it will take longer time for me to jump back when shot at me and the shooter will have more time to recharge from hard smash of his?

13. giant

giant Regular Member

student
    inner muscles will be affect my movement in court?

14. hhwoot

hhwoot Regular Member

Graduate Student
    I'm glad my response has been helpful. :)

To clarify my statement about body shots, it's part of the advantage/disadvantage for tall versus short players. Taller players have longer arms/legs and will be able to lunge farther and reach farther than shorter players.

However, it is usually said that the longer arms are slower at defending against shots towards the center of the body. This can also be explained by the inertia argument, shorter arms can be moved easier and faster than longer arms.

My view is that being taller is usually a small overall advantage. But after a certain point, being taller would just mean longer and larger body parts that are slow to move, and will also eat up more stamina.

15. ScorpionG

ScorpionG New Member

Yeah I better stick to "double's". Me "class B" player once played with a "C" player vs. two chicks, Elite player and A player, we kicked their asses pretty easy, they did not have same reflexes and hit power as I did. Thx for participation folx, good bye and HIT it haaaaaaard!

16. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    231 seems to be a bit too much .I weight 178 but look ~150. I play fine and I don't have much fat. Of course I can play better if I'm 10lbs lighter, but I never feel like I lost because weight was pulling me down.

17. bad_fanatic

bad_fanatic Regular Member

Day dream about being a Pro Badminton Player
    Elite player is a broad spectrum. Even in the same location, the level varies between clubs. An elite from ones club could be average for another.

I think you should focus more on having fun first and then improve as time progress. It maybe that you're a great athlete, but certain people are made for certain sports.

Well I've seen a guy that's about 6'1" - 6'3" and weighs around 300 lbs. I mean he has a gut and everything. But he's a very good player. Deceptive, powerful, and everything. So I don't see why you can't be good player.

18. martin8768

martin8768 New Member

sudent
    the reason why i am asking his age is because at 25 you have no chance to become "elite" badminton player. its to late, you need to develop these skills at a very young age. that being said, theirs nothing stopping you from become a good player, with practice you could be good, but not elite. besides badminton is a great way to burn calories and shed some pounds if you want.

19. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    You don't find elite singles players who are too heavy just like you don't find elite squash players who are heavy. Singles at the elite level are too punishing. Of course you can be a good singles player but I am afraid not at the elite level. At this level you need to have strength and muscles that are wiry not bulky or heavy. In doubles things are easier especially if you have the height to go with the weight. Even in doubles today's doubles game is fast with bewidering change in speed and direction. If you are new to badminton then it is easy to reduce from 230 lbs to below 200 lbs just playing doubles.

20. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

u can have thailand`s kung fu panda pairs..tesana for example:D:D