20 Year Old Lin Dan vs 20 Year Old Shi Yuqi - Who's better ?

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Nine Tailed Fox, Oct 31, 2016.

?

Who would win ?

1. Lin Dan

96.0%
  2. Shi Yuqi

4.0%
  1. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Shi Yuqi will be 21 in few months and is touted as the 2nd best Chinese MS at the moment.Recently he captured his maiden Super Series title beating Lee Hyun Il of Korea and has a bright future ahead according to Chinese Pundits.

How does he fare against 20 year old Lin Dan who had quite a few achievements by that time. Noticeably World Number 1 rank, All England Championship, 8 Super Series and 'Super Dan' nickname.

Was Lin Dan a better player? Would 20 year old Lin Dan beat current Shi Yuqi ?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

tbgoh288 likes this.
  2. leejunlong999

leejunlong999 Regular Member

student
    shi yuqi used to train in sg afaik

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Abu Tanki

Abu Tanki Regular Member

Student
    Shi Yuqi has a great all round game but I think Lin Dan had more speed. I don't think Shi Yuqi has best attack at the moment... but he might get better.

Nine Tailed Fox likes this.
  4. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Let's not jump ahead of ourselves. Not to take anything away from Shi Yuqi, but his superseries victory was partly aided by the absence of LD, LCW and CL. Relatively speaking he had a quite easy road to the final only meeting his team mate and other youngsters. Beating the highly experienced veteran LHI, who beat VA twice in the last two weeks, is a very good achievement, no question. But it's hard to predict his future.

Happened so many times before when people thought that a player had his break-through victory (Darren Liew at the French Open, Tian Houwei beating LCW at the Australian Open GPG, Kenichi Tago etc.), which disappointed in the near future and did not fulfill his potential.

5. leejunlong999

student
    i would not do such a comparison , firstly they were both from diff era, LD was facing gade taufik Lee hyun il all of them at their prime, whereas lcw ld are all towards retirement, hardly fair comparison at all.

6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Remember what Tian Houwei's mother said to him when he called his mother to break the news that he's defeated LCW at AUS Open 2013?

She said, " One match doesn't prove anything, strive on with diligence." - wise words from a doting mother.

Undoubtedly, Shi Yuqi's win over Lee Hyun Il was impressive, very encouraging, but I'll wait until he beat LCW and Chen Long, and hopefully Lin Dan as well if he gets an opportunity to play him in future for we know Lin Dan is likely to retire soon,before I get too excited about the young Shi Yuqi's road to superstardom. It's only the beginning for him, a remarkable start, nevertheless.

However, there is one aspect about Shi Yuqi that I think he may be superior to Lin Dan at the same age, that is SYQ showed maturity for his age in the way he dealt with the vastly experienced and highly skilled LHI who is widely esteemed for his consummate stroke play.

For now, I can only say Shi Yuqi will go far. How far ? Let the future tell.

7. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

let just say who will be Shi Yuqi greatest rival in future?
    (just like Lin Dan's greatest rival is Lee Chong Wei)

8. leejunlong999

student
    kento momota would replace LD
    Viktor Axelsen shall replace gade
    Jonathan Christie is showing prospects too

buibui2 likes this.
  9. Nine Tailed Fox

You don't replace LD sitting in unofficial jail.

volcom likes this.
  10. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

meanwhile Malaysia MS players after LCW be like...

11. leejunlong999

student
    zairudin seems like a potential successor

12. Nine Tailed Fox

leejunlong999 likes this.
  13. volcom

volcom Regular Member

As good as SYQ is, he does not possess anywhere near the natural talent, explosiveness and passion to win as the Young Lin Dan as can be seen from such examples as:

Justin L and ratul_kai like this.
  14. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Agreed with this. Plus although LHI is playing well, he's still not at his best whereas LD's main rivals in his day were in their prime. SYQ is actually quite fast, very light on his feet like LD was and has good footwork as all Chinese MS players do. Seems like a good solid player but I think it is too early to say whether there is more to come from him. CL was not massively impressive when he first turned pro, so we will just have to wait and see.

But if I were to compare SYQ and LD at the same age, on the face of it I would still say LD seemed the more convincing of the two. When he came onto the pro circuit, he raised a lot of eyebrows and top players were taking note of him pretty much from the start. He had an intensity in his play, all out attack, immense speed and confidence that was not seen before and seemed to have an answer to any shot thrown at him. LD also had very good strength all round, not only in his strokes but strong fast legs. He had a lot of weapons at his disposal too, deception, power, excellent round the head and accuracy. I have yet to see this in SYQ, it would be great to see SYQ play against one of his fellow compatriots who will know his game best, and see how they expose his weaknesses.

Justin L likes this.
  15. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    SYQ was impressive, very light on his feet and quick for his height.

what make lindan stand out at young age was his supreme confidence, same say arroagne and also because he is a lefthander

16. tbgoh288

tbgoh288 Regular Member

There is no other way to answer the question. Is like asking which of 1+1 =2 and 1+1 =3 is correct.

Nine Tailed Fox likes this.
  17. djake

djake Regular Member

Dr
    In terms of achievements, Lin Dan was better. He was already a consistent world beater at 20 and was top seed at the Olympics in 2004 at 21.