2009 AE: Day 3 (Round 2) Thursday March 5

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2009' started by chris-ccc, Mar 4, 2009.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    2009 AE: Day 3 (Round 2) Thursday March 5

For match results as they are progressing live: click here

The Round 2 matches will start from 10:00am. There are many great matches for us to follow.
    The following is a good selection:

Mens Singles
    Taufik HIDAYAT [7] [​IMG][INA] -vs- [​IMG][ENG] Andrew SMITH

Womens Singles
    Yihan WANG [​IMG][CHN] -vs- [​IMG][HKG] Mi ZHOU [2]

Mens Doubles
    Mohd Zakry ABDUL LATIF [4] [​IMG][MAS] Mohd Fairuzizuan MOHD TAZARI [​IMG][MAS] -vs-
    [​IMG][DEN] Anders KRISTIANSEN [​IMG][DEN] Simon MOLLYHUS

Womens Doubles
    Hyo Jung LEE [3] [​IMG][KOR] Kyung Won LEE [​IMG][KOR] -vs-
    [​IMG][RUS] Ekaterina ANANINA [​IMG][RUS] Anastasia RUSSKIKH

Mixed Doubles
    Robert BLAIR [7] [​IMG][ENG] Imogen BANKIER [​IMG][SCO] -vs-
    [​IMG][INA] Flandy LIMPELE [​IMG][RUS] Anastasia RUSSKIKH

chris-ccc
    :):):)

2. Destricto_Ense

Destricto_Ense Regular Member

Student
    Ooh, LCW vs Marc Zweibler. I'd like to see that, but not sure if I'll get out of bed on time.. (it's at 10.20)

3. badadum

badadum Regular Member

You can add to the list BCL vs LD, Ikeda/Sakamoto vs LP/JR, Wang Lin vs Yippy

4. Tommy Susanto

Tommy Susanto Regular Member

The Misery Of Team SIN

Team SIN despite sending a much "lighter" team got a rude sending off on the 1st day of 2009 AE Championship:rolleyes:This marks as the second time in 3 years, Team SIN got FED EXed again, remember the FED EX logo printed on Team China's jersey;)SIN's favourite daughter Xing Aiying who went down to top seed TR in 29 easy minutes:confused::eek::crying:This is truely a slap in the face for the SBA. And it is a tough pill to swallow for a loyal fan such as Loh:rolleyes::rolleyes:

5. badadum

badadum Regular Member

So now SIN has their own version of Pemuda?? :rolleyes:
    Didn't know Pemudatitis is contagious :p

6. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    How come my fav pair's left out?
    KKK/TBH vs TBS/GTC.better win dear.

7. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

It will be interesting to see hear how the crowd reacts during the Andrew Smith (local favourite) vs. Taufik (sentimental favourite) match.

Does anyone think that the Gade vs Ng match might be interesting?

8. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    In MS, I think the top half matches are pretty pedestrian, with out-right favourites. A LCW-SDK, PG-TH top-half QF is pretty enticing. The bottom half has some "interesting" (CHN) and not so interesting (DEN) internal battles. The Sho Sasaki and Lee TS match is the hardest to predict.

In WS, it's a Chinese tsunami. Even more if you consider China-born players and overseas Chinese. Pretty clear cut favourites all the way through the draw, except Wang Yihan v Zhou Mi.

In MD, matches involving JPN and KOR pairs are the ones to watch.

In WD, definitely the match to watch is Pan/Tian v Chin/Wong.

In XD, Laybourn/Juhl v Zheng/Ma

9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Sorry to disappoint you Tommy, but I'm surprised with Team SIN's creditable performance in the doubles, as all, except Aiying, are debutants I believe. :D

1. WD Frances Liu & Vanessa Neo lost narrowly to Korea's Ha Jung Eun & Kim Min Jung 20-22, 19-21 in 39 mins.

2. XD Chayut Triyachart & Shinta Mulia Sari stretched Denmark's Rasmus Bonde & Helle Nielsen to 3 games, 21-11, 16-21, 15-21 in 38 mins.

3. WD Sari and Yao Lei did even better by almost upsetting Denmark's Lena Kristiansen & Kamilla Juhl (seeded 6) 21-16, 18-21, 19-21 in 56 mins. Both teams won the same number of points/rallies at 58.

4. WS Xing Aiying did not do too badly when she lost to Denmark's Tine Rasmussen (1) 17-21, 15-21 in 29 mins and this despite Aiying scoring only 1 point from smashing against 17 for Tine. And so you think Tine had it "easy" in almost half an hour? You need to think twice! :p

Frankly I would consider these performances by our young shuttlers as very encouraging indeed despite what you termed as a "lighter" team! They were not overwhelmed at all by the occasion and unlike some other defeated players, they scored all their games well above 10 points and even win some games to extend the match to a rubber. :)

They certainly did not get a "rude sending-off" as you claimed! And I think instead of getting "a slap in the face", SBA should be congratulated for giving these youngsters an opportunity to be exposed to the highly exciting and electrifying atmosphere of the most prestigious regular badminton tournament in the world. How many shuttlers can get this chance? :cool:

BTW were you present during R1? Or did you even watch the telly if not? :rolleyes:

#9 Loh, Mar 4, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  10. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Yeah, that's a big slap to Singapore. I mean, that's like Costa Rica going home after the first round of the World Cup.

11. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Looks like LCW and KKK/TBH....did not played well yesterday...........unlike LD and CY/FHF who won easily .......................

12. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    It is AE after all...I do not think SIN did badly....

13. Tommy Susanto

Tommy Susanto Regular Member

Hello Loh, "lighter" meaning number or size Ok:p2 years ago SIN sent more players to AE such as LILI, Kendrick, Ronald susilo and your ex- top wd players etc. Hey our ex-country~woman Shinta Mulia Sari has been around. Please don't tell xxxx:p WD Frances Liu & Vanessa Neo has played in Sea Games as well:eek: You are extremely crafty/manupulative with your words but i insist on seeing you as SIN most loyal badminton fan:pAs for SBA, please Loh don't start:DSBA wants to see results paid more SIN dollars, don't think in the middle which is paid dimes and expect to hit lottery:rolleyes::rolleyes:

14. jutawin

jutawin Regular Member

Student
    I'm absent tonight..
    All the best to Indonesia players..
    [​IMG]

15. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    That's why I brought up the Costa Rica comparison. On a stage like the World Cup, Costa Rica would be happy enough to lose in the first round.

16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Contrary to what you meant by "lighter", I think we have more players participating in this year's AE, more new and inexperienced ones at that. :rolleyes:

Many of them are considered just past "juniors" frankly, unlike the more experienced and high ranking ones in the past. For Shinta it must be better off for her than remaining in INA, don't you agree? :cool:

If our FTs, including Shinta, are really that good, they wouldn't have left their countries of birth in the first place. And you think we can strike lottery by giving them a chance? :p

Well I really don't think the SBA are paying dimes, otherwise we wouldn't be getting interested shuttlers to join us. Of course if you are talking about the recent case of 17-year-old Riky, your countryman, it is the reverse because I feel he is taking advantage of SBA's generosity of groomig him for a few years and then giving the excuse to return to INA to try to seek greener pastures.

If our shuttlers are really good, the rewards are there for them to claim.

How about SIN$1 million for an Olympic Gold medal, half of that amount for a silver and a quarter for a bronze?

Are you saying that many other countries in the world can better these incentives? :D

And where were you during the current AE? Hope you are there watching! ;)

#16 Loh, Mar 4, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  17. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    u r one faithful fan:)

18. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

As faithful as U, cooler to Chn team.......;)..no matter what happened....!!

19. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

because yesterday u were not there to cheer them:D
    cheer them tonight, and they might surely beat their opponent more easily than yesterday though;):D:D:D

20. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

I cant stay up too late........but i'll still support them....dont worry....:D:D