2010 Thomas Cup Final - Day 8, Sunday May 16th

Discussion in 'Thomas Cup / Uber Cup 2010' started by fd16n, May 14, 2010.

1. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    similar view too.

Although INA lost to china 3-0, it was way more interesting to watch then china beating MAS 3-0. TH still have all his technical abilities except for speed and stamina which is normal or as expected due to age and marriage:D. Sorry to say but lcw froze like a deer facing an on coming headlight. I am not fooled by the 21-7 score in the LD-TH match versus the 21-8 score in the LD-LCW match, similar spread but from different approach. One was by design and the other was by sheer fright. IMO.

on the MD, setiawan is still sharp and shrew as in 08 OG. They lost mainly because kido lost some of his edge, and FHF/CY were well prepared in this TC so the balance of scale is tilted in china's favor this time around. FHF/CY played more crafty style than just raw power, something i thought only INA players have:D

#981 cooler, May 16, 2010
    Last edited: May 16, 2010
  2. Luking

Luking Regular Member

Kindra were sharp and focused during the first half of the match, they were able to compete the chinese pair and even won a game. Similar situation applies to Simon against CJ. The longer the match progressed the more they lost focus. Wonder if its a matter of stamina only or also mental.

3. Luking

Luking Regular Member

I can imagine when the pressure is too high the mental performance can be affected. It is not that the dont want to fight, they just could not manage to fight, to optimally focus etc.

4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    The sad part of mental strength

This is the sad part of mental strength. I have just posted about Wong Choong Hann trying his best for his MAS team.

We, observers, can tell who were more determined to fight and/or who just gave up because of pressure.

5. Luking

Luking Regular Member

Why would for example LCW in such important event just give up? It is not the willingness but more the inability to overcome the pressure, somehow. WCH is more able to overcome this, IMO.

6. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    2010 Thomas Cup: LCW mentioned that he has some secret weapon to win

Perhaps LCW mentioned that he has some secret weapon to win, while WCH didn't.

7. copadh

copadh Regular Member

Happy belated birthday, abedeng! :)
    Hope you enjoy the final

8. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    yes, rightly said! he started with a lot pressure probably without realizing it was all over his shoulder and during the game he just can't pick up and when lin dan had his winning confidence built so high he just lost all, i can see he was really tired :cool:

9. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    When LD lost the first 4 tournaments and skipped MO10 prior to TC10, I reminded you at that time that LD will be back to his OLY08 form. In this TC, LD speed, anticipation, netplay, power, fitness, footwork, in fact LD is in top form and perfect execution that really, there is nothing LCW or any player can do except hoping not to face a humiliating defeat. LD game against LCW and TH parallels the AE90 MSF where ZJH slaugthered JP. Even though the match against LCW and TH are one sided, but it is a great display of badminton.

10. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    yes i remember that, being one of a kind and if he is well prepared, just about everbody will be in trouble just to keep up the pace with him. that's lin dan's main asset! :cool:

11. hcpoirot

hcpoirot Regular Member

Congrats for China's Thomas team and Korean's Uber team for the win.

Great job for both of them. China men only lost one match (MD 2 in 3 sets) in group stage from the whole competition. And Korean girls who fighting spirit and never die attitude plus some of China girls mental strength make both team deserve to win the cups.

12. hcpoirot

hcpoirot Regular Member

Specially for Thomas teams, if in another 2 years, there are not major changes in other teams players growth, China will be winning again this cup in 2012.

In 2012, LD, BCL, CY/FHF will still be the backbone of China Thomas team again. (Probably their last time) Other countries need to improve their players (Old and new) quickly, if they want to be able to win the cup from China hand.

If that happen, it will be a record win 5 time Thomas Cup in a row for LD, BCL, CY/FHF.

13. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    happy belated birthday
    abedeng:)

i will be amaze if cai yun stay that long:eek:

14. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

After watching the Thomas cup reruns on TV, I can only say one thing.

Thank you LinDan, Cai Yun and Fu Hai Feng for giving such a wonderful display of

great badminton which may never be seen again given your shelf lives.

Kudos also to Li Yong Bo and Tang Xian Hu, great players and great coaches for

making it all happen.

The china team of this Thomas is the real thing and simply steamrolled the rest,

they simply had no answer.

15. Mr. Fault

Mr. Fault Regular Member

Bad call!

Well, I have seen that (being the 2nd call - the first one was perfectly correct) for only the second time now.

Definitely a bad call - sorry.

Re-education a bit stiff - I think I know what I am doing!

Fortunately it did not affect the game (China won it 25 - 23 even with the 2 point handicap!) and it did not affect the Match either.

Fantastic Team and Players - my only wish is that they would shake hands with their defeated opponents before running to fellow team mates.

Anyhow, sorry for the mistake. A moment for reflection and humble pie!

16. OldBadFan

OldBadFan Regular Member

Contractor
    Kudos to you Mr. Fault. Not one single human is perfect. It takes a brave-heart and character like yours to admit the fault. As a neutral spectator I belief the outcome of a match wouldn't be affected by one/two mistaken let alone biased points. It all depends on whether the players are in their element to turn the situation around and win the match or not.

As to the hand shake problem, it's quite discomforting to see that it is becoming a norm nowadays. Sportsmanship and respect have gone down the drain. How I wish BWF could do something about it.

Cheers.:)

#996 OldBadFan, May 20, 2010
    Last edited: May 20, 2010
  17. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

all i'm gonna write is..

- It's time for Taufik to dominate the GP and GP Gold circuit. LD basically played half speed throughout the match, controlled every single rally and sent Taufik running all over the court. In several instances, when Taufik's body goes one way, LD would send the shuttle the other way. TH's reaction and speed are simply no longer there. Even his smashes are easily returned by LD. LD basically read all of Taufik's shots like braille..
    Anyway, I hope all of you Taufik fans recorded that match as i believe it will be Taufik's last TC appearance ever...thank you for the memories, Taufik and hope you'll defend your upcoming U.S. Open GPG title..;)

- Maybe it's time for Kido & Setiawan to follow Taufik's path as well..:p
    In the first half of the first game, Kido & Setiawan controlled the rallies. They really controlled the fore-court game. But as the game wore on, the CHN pair started to get into their rhythm. At the end, a couple or so errors cost the INA pair the game. The INA pair regained their composure in the 2nd game but eventually tired out in the final game. Overall, lots of mistakes and very poor performance from Kido. Cai & Fu were fast @ the point of attack.

- Simon gave a good fight. He charged up near the end of the 1st game but made some costly errors in the 2nd game after having a lead early on. CJ was able to capitalize on them and eventually forced the rubber game. In the rubber game, Simon's stamina was totally zapped and that basically spelled the end. IMO, Simon would probably give a better fight against LD.

- If LD, BCL and Cai & Fu return in 2012, i think CHN will win again. If they do return, i think that will be the last TC appearance for the 4 of them.

- There were a few close and questionable calls, esp. of those net taps. Very hard calls to make, imo.

- The stadium was abt 75-80% at the start. But grew to at least 90% full. All the spectators on the upper tier were cheering for the INA. Whilst those sitting in the lower/silver seating area were cheering for the CHN squad.

- Funny & embarrassing moment of the night: I don't know if any of you saw this, but right after the CHN squad had received their trophy, finished their national anthem and flag raising ceremony, LYB actually walked down the podium and put the TC trophy down on the podium. Then he proceeded to sit down on the podium, all smiles, as to were to take pics. Basically, he thought the whole ceremony was over.
    Unbeknownst to him, the band then played the M'sian national anthem, but with LYB sitting there all alone on the podium with the entire TC team in the back. Eventually one of the CHN officials came by and gestured to LYB to get up and stand back on the podium. The embarrassed LYB then quickly hopped on his feet and got back to the podium for the anthem.
    Too bad i didn't capture that Kodak moment...but i surely smiled & shook my head seeing that moment..:p

- Our lucky BCer suetyan actually experienced something out of her expectation...I am still waiting for her to share what happened and what she got on the Thomas Cup Final night!:cool:

18. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

She had already shared it on her facebook:cool:

everything and anything!:D

19. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..how about here with the other BCers??..:confused:

20. wilcan

wilcan Regular Member

student
    heyy
    anyone of you ever think