2012 Thomas & Uber Cup Preliminary Round - ASIAN zone

Discussion in 'Thomas / Uber Cup Preliminary Round 2012' started by CLELY, Jan 25, 2012.

1. dan92

dan92 Regular Member

And i still don't get why China decided to play in Uber Cup competition. Isn't the top 3 of women's single and top 2 women's double come from china?

For Thomas Cup, it is still makes sense. Because they want Chen Jin to qualify for London 2012.

2. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

If you mean Goh Wei SHem/Lim Khim Wah, yes, they are in as 2nd MD

3. dan92

dan92 Regular Member

so yea, they have a good chance then. Since they won against Bona/Ahsan which is the top 8 pairs.

4. dan92

dan92 Regular Member

Malaysia Uber cup on the other hand will have to face such a hard challenges from other country.
    Their Women double is getting better, but then Women's single department is still inconsistent since Wong Mew Choo retired. Same situation for Indonesian Uber Cup too.

5. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Against MAS:
    CL and LCW are very even. Definitely no assured point for any team here. But edge to MAS.
    MAS MD1 is a mess, and CHN MD1 (CB/GZD) are on form. Edge to CHN.
    Overall, I would say 1-1 here, but it's so close, it's also feasible to be 2-0 either way.
    MD2 is 55% CHN. MS2 is 80% CHN (but heavily dependant on CJ's condition). MS3 is > 95% CHN.
    Overall, CHN favourites but no big surprise if MAS takes it.
    (I don't have much doubt about MAS qualifying, but beating even a weaker CHN is another story.)

INA has a better chance vs CHN.
    Strong for CHN: MS1 (strong CHN), MS3 (weak INA)
    Strong for INA: MD2 (weak CHN)
    Small edge to CHN: MS2 (hugely dependent on CJ's condition)
    Edge to INA: MD1 (strong INA)
    Overall pretty even, but edge to CHN.

JPN is also not weak. They can possibly win both MD (but 1-1 is the more likely outcome), and MS2 (either Tago or Sasaki) is able to defeat CJ (if CJ's condition does not improve).
    Overall CHN favourites, as MS1 and MS3 are strong points, MD1 has an even chance and MS2 will win if CJ is ok, even chance if not so ok.

And finally KOR. IMHO, the only chance for KOR to grab a point in singles is if CJ's ... yes, his condition again ... has not improved. Also Shon Wan Ho may have an outside chance against Wang ZM or Du PY. If KOR can grab a point here, then they are favourites since both MD are heavy favourites against CHN.
    So, pretty much 50-50 here. Can't tell the two apart.

Therefore in conclusion, this CHN squad is about even with the other top nations (DEN included).

#25 hcyong, Jan 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  6. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    WC and Olympics do not have qualifying tournaments (only qualifying periods) so it's not a good comparison with TC/UC.

Note that not only are CHN defending TC champions but are also the hosts for TC/UC Finals.

Is it mentioned somewhere that if CHN fails to be among the qualifying rank, they'll be out of TC or UC?
    Maybe they can finish last and still be in the Finals?
    The latter is my understanding after reading the regulations for TC/UC.
    Also, there is no rule disallowing the holders or hosts from taking part in the qualifying tournament.

7. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    whenver i watch a match on TV,,i see two image flashs om your screem.. i ssee teo images of chong wel appearinn..what is wrong wthin me??

8. dan92

dan92 Regular Member

I'd say Tommy sugiarto is not that weak. He is still top 16 tho, so pretty much stand a chance against top 10 if in top form.

9. sen

sen Regular Member

H2H, Tommy has not met either DPY or WZM. Meanwhile Hayom beat DPY before.

10. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

11. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Phillipines team suddenly appear in Seeding list of TUC Qualifying Round.

So Thomas & Uber Cup participant for Asian zone is 15 and 14 countries respectively.

12. rosid

rosid Regular Member

Student
    I have a question,
    if CHN Thomas and Uber, and KOR Thomas fail in top 5 and 4, will they play in final?:confused:

13. dan92

dan92 Regular Member

No, because Korean Thomas Cup is not the defending champion. And China Thomas and Uber Cup release their rights of qualifying by going to qualification.

14. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Yes for China Thomas and Uber team, they automatically qualified as defending champion and host country whatever the outcome. Nope for KOR Thomas team in that such condition.

15. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

I tell you what's wrong, cos from what I've been reading, China will qualify regardless their qualification result will be. Correct me if that's not right. But if that's true, it's against the very foundation meaning of having qualification round, no?? And as far as I know China is the first country to have done so, no other great badminton nation in the past did it, the same way China is doing now just for the sake of CJ to get more points for the OG. I hope that shows how worried LYB of LCW chance if winning OG.

16. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i can see 3 reasons:

1. they want the whole team to go to Macau to give CJ some points.
    2. they want the whole team to gain some team tournament experience against another country
    3. they want the whole team to go to Macau to gamble.

17. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

I think is Reason 3!

The bet is on CJ! :D

18. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Saina's illness a major blow for India

M Ratnakar, TNN | Feb 12, 2012, 02.12AM IST

HYDERABAD: If the draw came as a dampener for India's Thomas Cup and Uber Cup teams, they suffered a further blow with ace shuttler Saina Nehwal contracting viral infection.

Saina, who will be spearheading Indian campaign in the Uber Cup, is unwell. In the event, the women's team, which created history by reaching the knockout stage last time, will wait for the update on Saina with fingers crossed. As it is, the road ahead is tough for them, having been clubbed with China and Malaysia in Group W. Their chances of progressing into the next round largely depend on Saina and the doubles duo of Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Ponnappa.

Even if Saina recovers from the sore throat, it would be difficult for her to give her best in the tournament.

"She was OK till the evening. But once she reached the Delhi airport, she started feeling unwell. When I called her last night she was not able to speak and said she has a severe sore throat. It would be difficult for her to become fully fit within a few days after this viral infection," Saina's father Harvir Singh Nehwal told TOI on Saturday.

-----------------------------------------------------
    Full article : http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...major-blow-for-India/articleshow/11854613.cms

19. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    4. they want the whole team to go to Macau to gamble together.

20. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Both THA & INA Uber team have scored 3-0 against weak team Kazakhstan and Srilanka respectively.