2013 Indian Badminton League (August 14 - 31)

Discussion in '2013 Tournaments' started by chris-ccc, Feb 19, 2013.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
  2. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    There may be some truth in the above comment.

3. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
  4. madbad

madbad Regular Member

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Frankly I don't how the obvious disparity in income between local players and some of the higher ranked foreign players (except LCW) can continue to the next series of IBL, especially if the foreign players contribute more winning points.

Foreign players will certainly feel short changed if they know that lower ranked players are paid more. I suspect they are not aware of what most of the others are getting when they signed up.

6. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    I think they have done better things by calling Marc Zweibler when some other leagues did not care about him..;)

7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    You are deviating from the main issue.

What I'm inferring is that the quality of a player must be recognized and rewarded accordingly.

It seems to the onlooker that as this is an Indian League, locals must be treated better than foreigners. And the foreign players may not even know in advance that there will be a bias against them in the auction or those involved just ignore or are ignorant of their WR? This cannot be the case as the Indian coaches, etc, are available to guide bidders in the auction process.

And BTW, how do you know what other leagues did not care about MZ?

These other leagues may be organized with different aims and for different purposes.

#27 Loh, Jul 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  8. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
  9. depleter

depleter Regular Member

student

Ok, Let me say some things again, though these are repeated so many times in the other thread mentioned by cobalt....And this is the answer for your pervious question as well..

Though yes...winning is a priority..but it's not the only priority of this league ...And there are some simple reasons behind them...
    Just by winning, how much money would you get..
    According to details..there are only two prize moneys..
    Winner gets $650,000
    Runner gets $350,000 and the rest gets none..

Now let's get to the payment issues...
    Each Franchise have to pay $275,000 to the players,
    Each franchise has to pay $500,000 to $600,000 to IBL for owning a team
    Just by adding these, even the winner can't get the full amount in return...
    Then what about the other 4 teams which doesn't get any prize money..??

And here's where the main issue comes...Sponsers...
    And here's where the joke is...Indian Open Super series has a prize money of $200,000...But here all franchises including they have to shell out $4.5 million to $5 million just for players and IBL committee...

So, everything comes down to marketing and marketing capability..And that's where Indian players come out..They can be marketable by just doing decently as well...
    It's not as if though, it applies only to India...Every country has it right..Just because a foriegn player is higher than your rank doesn't give him more marketability....
    So, that's where the pricing comes into act...It's exactly how the franchises feel a player can be marketable...as simple as that...

And players not knowing about lower ranked players getting higher prices and all...
    Isn't it clear from the starting when the base prices are announced..??
    And didn't this league always reiterated that this league follows IPL...
    Then a simple example from IPL 2011
    You can check this example here..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_2011_Indian_Premier_League_personnel_changes

Saurabh Tiwary winning bid - $1,600,000
    Kumara Sangakara winning bid -
    $700,000

But the difference between the two players outside the IPL is massive...With Sangakara being the runner up captain of the 2011 cricket world cup for Sri Lanka ...Tiwary still doesn't have a place in Indian cricket team though he played some matches here and there.....But everything came down to marketability of a player..As simple as that in the end..

And ofcourse, if some foreign players show some heroic matches in this league their marketing power would also increase with it...

10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Thanks depleter for your clear explanation.

As this is the first time I heard of the IPL, the mechanics of of its workings are not familiar.

Therefore the question on the income disparity and the fear that this might drive away high-ranked foreign players for future IBLs, thus reducing the quality of the series. IMO India has still not reached the stage of the more recognizable badminton powerhouses and as I understand, one of the aims of the IBL is to make the game more popular and hopefully this will attract more badminton talents and raise local standards further.

Having said that, though the incomes of foreign players are generally lower than the locals, they are not insignificant. Some of them exceed the winner's prize of BWF Grand Prix and even Super Series events, I think.

We have to accept that the IBL has to market itself, especially that it is brand new and badminton, though getting more popular, it certainly lags behind cricket and hockey in India. And in order to increase its image and marketability to both the populace and sponsors, household names I believe like SN, Sindhu, Kashyap, Anand, Ajay, Prannoy, Guru and other upcoming names must be promoted aggressively, thus their higher salaries in the bidding process.

As an Indian lady coach has said there are bound to be some teething problems for something as new as the IBL and hopefully by the next IBL, such problems are greatly reduced, including the salaries paid to high ranked foreign players.

I also thank cobalt for referring me to related postings which I will run through later.

11. howdidoo

howdidoo Regular Member

Is this being telecast on Star Sports in SE ASIA too? Any news on that or other International broadcasts? Youtube?

Also, Will this thread be made the Official IBL thread? There are couple of other threads too on IBL.

12. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

13. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    This thread will actually (probably) be for tournament days, since it has been started by OP in the Tournaments forum...

The other thread is more to discuss general issues relating to IBL, the organisation, the leadup to the tournament itself and other stuff....

14. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    Big money, but unfairly distributed.

There seems a salary cap at $275k. There are 5 matches. Therefore, to win a competition, the winner team has to take 3 wins. Which implies that one single player should be not paid more than 90k, otherwise, it will definitely hurt the team.

Lee CW's 125k and Saina's 120k are too much. Especially too many Women's singles got paid too much: Juliane Schenk 90,000; Sindhu 80,000; ...

If i'm the team manager, I will hire someone like Lee YD, or even retired Chinese player Zheng Bo, who can play both men's double and mixed double, bringing 2 victories to the team.

Anyway, it's a market economy, supply and demand.

By the way, there's none world champion, olympic champion at all; neither current or former champion. Is an local India player never heard of internationally, more marketable than a world champion ?

15. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Ofcourse. Nobody here knows anybody except few familiar names such as LCW and Taufik Hidayat. And also, we have been discussing this for long time since IBL is formed and So many interested articles has been published and many discussions and explainations were given by some of our BC members such as [MENTION=96042]depleter[/MENTION], [MENTION=64347]cobalt[/MENTION] and myself regarding the same. So, i request you to look into those things if you have any doubts regarding this. :)

16. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Will these prizes be shared with team members or entirely team managers' ?

if players got paid upfront, what are the motivations for their to win ?

17. depleter

depleter Regular Member

student
    Well..IPL has a mandate that at least half of the prize money should go to the players.....may be IBL too.But it wasn't mentioned any where...

Well, the motivation will be to get a higher price in the next auction...the better you perform...the higher your price will be in the next auction...as simple as that...but the contract is still unclear though...In IPL they have a 3 years contract....so a player will go the auction every three years..

18. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

thanks for the updates. Players performance mostly related to the past 3 months, none care about 1 year ago performance. Where's Chen Jin and Lee Huan Il, who in the Olympics last year?

19. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Let me tell you that IBL did not tell everything about the contract details to players...I know that as agent was there and asked one of INA players to sign ( independent players) and it revealed that each players has to play 2 seasons and they players can opt not to play the 2 nd season but it was not written at all...also you can not increase the fee..basically IBL can replace you anytime...I can tell you that many players just signed as the contract is quite thick to go thru....

20. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    India gears up for new million-dollar badminton event

[h=1][/h][​IMG]

By Kuldip Lal | AFP News – 19 hours ago

Badminton takes a leap into the unknown on Wednesday, when a new franchise-based team event with innovative rules aimed at drawing bigger crowds opens in India.

The million-dollar Indian Badminton League (IBL), trumpeted as the sport's richest event, will be played over a fortnight between six city teams, using a more attacking style of play designed to excite the fans.

But the event has suffered several blows even before the first shuttle has been hit, with Malaysian superstar Lee Chong Wei, the league's top draw and the world number one, under an injury cloud.

The standard two-point gap to win a game has been abandoned in favour of a race to 21 points for the first two games and 11 points for the decider, if needed. (I'm not sure how BWF takes to this?)

There will also be a minute's commercial break after the seventh and 14th points in the first two games and after the sixth point in the decider.

"The IBL is definitely the best thing to happen to Indian badminton," Indian great Prakash Padukone said.

"Badminton has not seen this kind of money before," the former All-England champion said. (Not true as posted in the other thread. But it is true that the "overpaid" local players have not seen this kind of money before.)

"It will add to the popularity of the sport, besides bringing in more money for the players. A lot would, however, depend on the success of the inaugural event."

The success of popular franchised-based Twenty20 cricket competitions around the world have also inspired copy-cat events in hockey, golf, football and tennis.

Badminton teams, owned by businesses and individuals, forked out thousands of dollars at an auction last month to buy players from India and around the world for the league.
    Each team, comprising four foreign players, six Indians and one upcoming Indian junior, will play on a home-and-away basis in the preliminary league, with the top four qualifying for the semi-finals.

All ties, including the August 31 final in Mumbai, will have five matches -- two men's singles, and one each in women's singles, men's doubles and mixed doubles.

"Matches will become more competitive and open with these new rules," said former Indian coach Vimal Kumar. "They will help those who have an attacking game."

Former India cricket captain Sunil Gavaskar, a keen badminton enthusiast, is linked to the Mumbai franchise which will play against teams from Pune, Lucknow, Delhi, Bangalore and Hyderabad.

But the IBL lost much of its sheen when badminton's powerhouse China declined to send its players. Other stars like newly-crowned women's world champion Ratchanok Intanon of Thailand are also missing.

Malaysia's Lee remains uncertain of playing the entire fortnight after being forced to withdraw from Sunday's world championship final against Lin Dan of China.

Lin was a point away from victory at 16-21, 21-13, 20-17 when Lee conceded the match due to severe leg cramps and had to be stretchered off the court in China's Guangzhou.

The IBL received a boost thanks to the success of Indian players in Guangzhou where teenager P.V. Sindhu won a bronze medal and Saina Nehwal and Parupalli Kashyap made it to the quarter-finals.

Nehwal, the women's world number three, was bought by her home team of Hyderabad for $120,000, second only to the $135,000 paid for Lee by Gavaskar's Mumbai franchise.

Sindhu, a Hyderabadi like Nehwal, will play for Lucknow for $80,000, while Kashyap was picked up by Bangalore for $75,000.

"I am not surprised the focus is on Sindhu and Saina," said former national women's champion Ami Ghia Shah. "They deserve all the money and attention they can get."