2013 Wang Lao Ji BWF World Championships : Day 7 (11th August 2013) - FINALE!!

Discussion in 'World Championship 2013' started by clawhammers, Aug 10, 2013.

1. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    You have the right to say this. If a spectator who does not know LD and LCW watches the game, I bet he'll find it boring. In fact, during the match, a spectator yawned loudly, to the amusement of other spectators.

However, that's only because these two are at such high levels of the sport where attacking becomes counter-productive. Watch LCW's matches with other players. He will attack given half a chance, because it will usually work. But against LD, he will only attack given a good chance (and sometimes sneak in an attack somewhere just for variation sake) which comes rarely. Attacking, if it does not work, comes at a cost. It causes you to be out of position when your opponent executes a good counter-attack (e.g. a drop, which we saw multiple times when LCW attacked LD).
    Same goes for LD. How many of his attacks actually worked his favour? During the changeover, I heard LD's coach mention "nai xing", which means patience. That is the name of the game between these two now. It's a game of attrition, which can be boring to watch.

Note: When I say attack, I mean smashes predominantly. Drops are also attacks (and we've seen both of them execute plenty of drops that would have floored other opponents) but not as exciting.

2. ibelieveindevil

ibelieveindevil Regular Member

nono lin dan won the 20th point as LCW cant proceed. he paused imediately and the slow moving shutter fall the the ground. if he was fit, it wont have happen. it is a simple shot.

3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I guess we are all so used to or, should I say, spoilt by the many exciting adrenaline-pumping attacking games of theirs that anything less is considered boring. I myself said today's match is the least volatile of their matchups I've seen. But I've to say in fairness that Lin Dan's new style of play is what he's adopted to suit his present age and LCW while he can attack furiously just can't do so easily or frequently enough against Lin Dan's superb defense. To make it worse, LCW seemed to think he could afford to play safe and wait for rusty Lin Dan to make mistakes but ended up frustrating himself more.

Whatever, it's the final of the WC, all that matters is to get the job done and win it not how entertaining you play. For two 30-year-olds who can no longer play fast and furious attacking badminton throughout to whack the daylights out of each other, what we saw them do today will become their new normal, esp when they play each other.

I'm waiting to see how Chen Long deal with both of them next time. The last time Chen Long played Lin Dan, he hasn't figured out how best to handle him yet, I suppose.

4. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

Because LCW was playing a little too aggressive against this "rallying" version of LD who has excellent defense and consistency. LCW expended all his energy before he could finish the match.

Some of you say LCW already played too defensive and should have played more aggressive. Actually, that's the wrong strategy if LCW cramped out. LCW should have even played more conservative so he could keep his energy reserves higher. That would have prevented the cramping and allowed LCW to finish the 3rd set strong.

5. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

Yup, this is the best response I've seen compared to some of the clueless fans that have no idea why LCW was attacking a lot less. Even CL knew not to smash LD if the shuttle was hit deep to the base. CL and LCW only attacked LD if the lift was short. LCW should have played even more defensive so he could conserve his energy. Although LCW played defensive already, he probably smashed one too many times as LCW eventually cramped up.

6. Ton-Min-Bad

Ton-Min-Bad Regular Member

The accusations of them playing boring are just ridiculous. Competitive sports is about winning.
    Where are the players who beat LD by playing faster or jump smash big time? There weren't any in this year's WC. That's a fact!

7. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

This is LD's style until he retires. It's an energy conserving style because he is getting older. He can't power smash point after point anymore like the Superdan in 2008. You can see in the last Olympics, LD was already playing much more defensive. But I never thought I would see a pure "rallying" LD win the World Championships today.

Anyways, if LD wants to contest for a gold at Rio in 2016, he has to master a defensive style that can save him energy.

8. speedyambarish

speedyambarish Regular Member

Agreed 100%. Best game I've ever seen... the atmosphere was just unbelievable.

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Hey, I'm watching the replay of the LD-LCW match again and,no, it's not boring at all the second time round. I suppose it's a matter of changing our perception and getting used to it after a while once you understand why they play the way they do.

10. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

Actually, it's just as boring as the LD vs CL match. It's the most boring match ever between LD and LCW. If you didn't know it's the WC finals and they cut out the crowd noise, you would have thought LD and LCW are just exercising with each other. But this is LD's new style whether you like it or not. And he can win this this style.

11. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    okay, that's nice.

#1071 gundamzaku, Aug 11, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  12. uselessmail

uselessmail Regular Member

N so its over... and alas, just as I feared, LCW capitulated just when it mattered the most and LD came out on top yet again!! Kudos to Super Dan! This man, this SUPERMAN can win any game just about whenever he wishes to. There is just no one else in his realm in this era of badminton and no matter how hard and diligently LCW tries, he just has no answer to the guiles of Superdan!

Now I've been reading some posts here which seem to put a blemish on the integrity of LCW in the way he retired, some speculating that he did it on purpose. Well, I can only sigh and shake my head at these poor souls who really have no idea who they are talking about. LCW is one of the most respected badminton players in this era and is an absolute fighter. Even here he fought till the last breath and it was so painfully obvious to all those 'unbiased' spectators who saw him struggling to reach that last shot. In fact, I was amazed that he actually got up after the first bout of cramps and even managed to win a point. That last point that he let go was heartbreaking since he just stood there frozen, heartbroken realising that his legs just wouldn't move anymore.

To the BCer who wondered why he couldn't just play one more point and 'let' LD win the game... well I can only say that you've never ever played badminton with that intensity and dont know what that pain is. I have suffered the same in minor league matches and the pain is so excruciating that even standing up is impossible and kudos to LCW for even trying!

Well, enough of ranting for the day. I'm sure none of this crap actually matters to the ones who really matter. LD has immense respect for LCW and vice versa and they know for sure that neither of them will stoop down to mediocrity just for the sake of it.

Congratulations to LD and his fans once again!

13. fauci

fauci Regular Member

Sun Jun played the whole match and almost won the match when he was already cramping.

Listen to the very different reaction and commentories from GC and the Antony guy on Sun Jun's injury :rolleyes:

14. fauci

fauci Regular Member

Mental strength is not a good excuse. Lin Dan's understanding of badminton is simply a level higher than any other player out there. He's a very smart man in badminton.

15. hcpoirot

hcpoirot Regular Member

Very well said.

Its useless to attack like crazy if your opponents can give it back with interest and can made you tired without good result.

16. gundamzaku

working professional
    completely agreed and obviously i could not have put it better, or else i would have :p

17. gundamzaku

working professional
    "with interest" sounds like Gillian Clark, just a note :)

18. jsteve

jsteve Regular Member

He almost won in the 2G but in the 3G he needed 5 points more - in the old scoring system it was the very long distance to go. So he did not almost win the match WHEN HE WAS ALREADY CRAMPING.
    And cramping is not the same in every case so I don't understand the value of such a comparison...

19. XoXoXo

XoXoXo Regular Member

SUPER RAT.................................... I like that name :)

20. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Yeah there is cramping and then their is complete muscle lock that won't go away. Worst if you have it on opposing muscles so it cramps when you bend your leg and cramps of you try and straighten it also, no way to stretch to get rid you just have to lie incapacitated like LCW in a half leg bent manner:D