2014 US Open M&Q Report 1

Discussion in 'Canada / USA / Chinese Taipei / Brazil Open 2014' started by CantSmashThis, Jun 13, 2014.

1. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

Mostly same names from last year minus Japan and China. Big surprise is MD which will feature rank #2 Mathias Boe & Carsten Mogensen from Denmark. Wonder if they will end up withdrawing.

http://bwfbadminton.org/file.aspx?id=558313&dl=1

2. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

That is not a bad list at all!

Seeing one of Tien Minh Nguyen's marathons would be worth the price of admission alone.

It's tempting to go, if only just to see my favourite name in badminton, Sapsiree Taerattanachai.
    (and to hear the umpire attempt to pronounce it) ;)

3. CantSmashThis

And that name I learned to pronounce without stuttering! Too bad I won't be there this year haha

4. HaoFung

HaoFung Regular Member

Personally find this pretty disapointing

Maybe because the east coast is much further for some Asian countries?

5. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

6. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    maybe prize money not high enough?

but this is clearly not a very motivating draw for me, personally, to fly across the country to go watch, maybe i'll go visit my sister first. :p

7. rahuldarga

rahuldarga Regular Member

IT
    I live couple of hours away and looking at the seeded entries list even I am wondering if I should go see the event... Very disappointing :'( :'( :'(

8. CantSmashThis

I think it will still be some what interesting with Boe/Mogensen. MS will be good with TMN, WWK, Hyun Il Lee. WS Nichaon and Kana Ito etc

9. gjoo888

gjoo888 Regular Member

Even though the draws may not be that great as far as highly ranked players, you'll most likely still see some great badminton. I went to the World Junior Championships in 2013, and although most of the players were not familiar names to me, the quality of play and the level of excitement was top-notch.

About 4 or 5 years ago I attended the Thailand Open and saw a relatively unknown and unseeded Chinese girl who went on to win the women's singles that year. Her name was Li Xuerui.

Many countries send their younger and less experienced players to GPG tournaments, you never know that some young player you might be seeing will go on to be the next LD or LCW, they all have to start somewhere.

10. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    You can also see some of the players participate in the World PBL just before the tournament just like what they did here in Vancouver just before the Canada Open.

World Professional Badminton League

11. rahuldarga

rahuldarga Regular Member

IT
    You are right... I don't mean any disrespect to the players who are participating... I will still enjoy the game....I will eventually end up going anyways since its the only closest badminton event that I can attend personally. Its just that, that I wanted to see my favorite players playing and none of them are participating which is why I am disappointed...

12. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    The list is not bad at all....
    Especially Ms TMN CTC Anand pawar,Ajay jayram,arvind,anup,brice,Erik hyun it will be a good tough competition... A real battle of second tier stringers....
    WS nichaon ,li,arundhati,Beatrez,magee again it will be a cracker...but I believe NJ will win it easily with the current form...doubles not so happening except BoMo n some THA pairs