2014 WC Qualifications

Discussion in 'World Championships 2014' started by AlanY, Jan 30, 2014.

1. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Suppose it is fair enough to not grant wild card to Lin Dan given that China can still send him and Chen Long if they want. China just don't get it all their own way and get to send 4 players like last time, so no big drama I suppose. Be interesting to see if he gets included.

2. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

Surely BWF would like LD to come.
    China also like LD to be there.

As for LD himself, not so sure, been there, done it and got the t-shirt a few times anyway.

So, 2 days after China nominated their players BWF will has the final say for the wild card.

who'll blink first?

3. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

if LD is willing to go I think China should include him for the WC.

After all it's only the WC there will be another one next year for the youngsters, unlike the Olympics only come along every 4 years.

4. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Sounds like BWF have set out their stall and blinked if it is already knowledge of huang...Be a shame for him not to be there for sure, but surely if BWF grant China 4 spots again folk gonna flip!

5. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  6. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

thanks for info that i'd misread.

China actually has the last say after If BWF to grant wildcards or not, that made sense.

7. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    can't edit; can't reply with quote.i hope kwun is working on a solution.

8. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

• bwf.jpg
      bwf.jpg
      File size:
      61.8 KB
      Views:
    #28 pcll99, Apr 29, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  9. Woffle

Woffle Regular Member

Student
    Can someone explain the Phase II/III processes? I'm not sure what Phase II entails...

10. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Phase II players are those who initially did NOT qualify but may get a position because those players who did initially qualify (phase I players) may decline/pull out etc. They use the terminology phase II so there is no confused as to what set of players they are talking about. So simply phase I BWF sends out invitations all the players who are without doubt Qualified if they except. players accept or decline.Phase II BWF organizes reserves to fill the places in the draw for those who declined/pulled outPhase III closed final draw.

11. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Sorry the above was laid out clearer but all spaces and paragraphs just disappeared and the site just ran it altogether.

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I suppose the argument for awarding the wild card goes both ways for yes and no.

What I see from the arguments against the wild card, many people say China shouldn't get another wild card. Regarding the Lin Dan case, it's definitely not about the country - that is only a very minor factor. It's about generating interest in badminton as a spectator sport irregardless of the country of that player.

I don't think any player in the world could have generated the publicity and interest that Lin Dan did when the wild card was first awarded last year.

A second, consecutive wild card would probably have diminished effect compared to last time an also sets a precedent. I.e. in the future, other world champions would also be justified in getting a wild card two years after their title.

13. Woffle

Woffle Regular Member

Student
    Re post 32 I don't see how it sets the precedent that you mentioned. Certainly, there are arguments for and against giving LD a wild card but that precedent is not applicable. In fact, I think on some level it's the same precedent as in 2013.

14. Woffle

Woffle Regular Member

Student
    So Phase II consists of the players that may replace Phase I players that drop out (up to the country's quota for # of spots based on rankings?), and Phase III is then to fill in all withdrawals (with restriction of at most 4 players/pairs per country?)Thanks

15. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

If the complaints are because they solely don't want Lin Dan to play I think that is unfair and a silly decision for the sport but you can see the other associations point if he is another extra to an already really strong 3 players. I think China should just send 2 (LD/CL) and not bend BWF over in front of the other associations again lol.

16. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

So Phase II consists of the players that may replace Phase I players that drop out (up to the country's quota for # of spots based on rankings?), and Phase III is then to fill in all withdrawals (with restriction of at most 4 players/pairs per country?)ThanksYOU CAN ONLY GET 4 IN FROM SAME COUNTRY IF IN TOP ALL ARE IN TOP 8(9-24 only 3 and 25-150 only 2). There are lots of countries number 2's in the top 150 but there is no room for them at the moment, they will get priority being called up in ranking order if there are declined/withdrawals first. Is that what you want??Phase III is when it is closed no way to change draw even if last minute injury.

17. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Sorry just to make that clearer as my example only used number 2's for phase II. It could be a countries 1st or 2nd player/pair in the top 150. Highest ranked out of these non qualifiers replaces withdrawals first.

18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

IMHO, no need to issue wild card to Lin Dan, BWF should just change the rule to automatic qualification for the defending champion; that would still leave the wild card open to others, if necessary.

19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    That's always a possibility.

20. renbo

renbo Regular Member

LD has to get a wild card, if the BWF is not totally dumb. But if LD goes, he should be counted as one slot for CHN, and not an extra player. That means he would take the place of the lowest ranking eligible Chinese player, be it Du or WangZM.