2016 Rio Olympic Games : Day-9 (19th August) - WS & MD Gold Medal, WS Bronze Medal, MS Semifinals

Discussion in 'Olympics 2016 - RIO' started by CLELY, Aug 18, 2016.

1. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Another fallacious argument, but even with that (fallacious) logic, you would have to concede that LCW is as "great" a player as Lin Dan (and take it as a fact too, which I disagree, because again, it's an opinion).

2. super-g

super-g Regular Member

These 'world records' are just ridiculous and are not in any official record books. Many nonsense world records can be said of Marin as well, for example 100% win rate at world championships final, 100% win rate at olympic finals, first player to win olympics whose name starts with 'C' and ends to 'A', etc.

If someone has won on both singles and doubles event in the past it clearly indicates level of competition was much lower than nowadays. There has not been anyone being successful in both singles and doubles recently.

Bohy likes this.
  3. konak

konak Regular Member

Yeah...

Do you remember who they (LLW and HAP) beat en route to WC ??

was there any strong opponent ??

Then you compare them with who marin has to beat to become WC and OLY gold !

4. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    even if Spain has no badm depth from past to present :
    BWF / other Badm Assoc / Marin's rival NEVER consider that CM's one WC in odd year is even more valuable than the others.
    NEVER.

only you, @ssj100 who think like that.

CM's one = Susi's / Gong Ruina's one.
    forever, 2 titles > 1 title
    LLW / HAP > CM

I think you say less is better ?
    then why you are proud CM's major is the same number with LXR + WYH and the others ? :p

not enough to make silly posting ?

5. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    still left it unanswered, @ssj100 ?
    I think you say less is better.
    so, are you ready to cannibalize one of your statement ? :p

6. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    LD can't take part in CWG, that's why CWG not count.
    it is 62 - 62

LCW played > 100 matches than LD, yet their titles is about the same, big thanks to Msia Satel 2003 as LCW's savior :p

7. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student

Lilyana Natsir (the 1st female XD to win 3 WC)
    R Inthanon (youngest WS WC)

GC said like that after WC 2013 final

ask them where is the official record book for that record ?

-100% win rate in WC final for Marin ?
    yes, but I think she is not the only one
    Zhu Lin, Lu Lan and others also 100%

-100% win rate at OLY final ?
    what is the need of this record when Zhang Ning and Gong Zhichao has 100% win rate for all Olympics edition that they already played ?

ZN even has 100% win rate in 2 OLY edition.
    Marin ? see OLY 2012. even no medal :D

read post 1922 for detail :

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...-ws-bronze-medal-ms-semifinals.166185/page-97

and do you consider Susi Susanti as one of great player or just (sorry) mediocre player ?

your answer will decide that LLW's era is the strongest or very week.

8. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    just google it for LLW's opponent.

read and answer post 1967.
    it depends to Susi S.

if you say Susi is one of the great, for sure LLW's era is the strongest.

if you say Susi is a mediocre, then you can say, LLW's era is weak

so how do you know that Marin, LXR, Akane, Sindhu and others as level A player ???

can you proof it ?

9. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    I think if the H2H score is 4 - 1 (RI vs CM), it is very clear that who is better :p

and I think if someone who has neg H2H with 18 or even more players, she is just an average player who is lucky to win the major

GOAT ? yes. GOAT in your dream :p

10. konak

konak Regular Member

Susi is great because at her time she beat another great player named Bang so hyun and ye zhao ying,the future Oly Gold and 2 times WC winners.

Marin is great because she beat Oly gold winner.

Lin Dan is great because he beat taufik the Oly and WC winners.

in my opinion you only become a great athlete by defeating another great athlete. YOU ARE MEASURED BY WHO YOUR OPPONENT ARE !

Now you tell me who is opponent of LLW and HAP in their era ??

#1970 konak, Aug 21, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  11. MeisterTim

MeisterTim Regular Member

Lol Fortune is so delusional. Guys stop arguing with him, he does not like Marin and spills nonsense to belittle her. Marin so lucky, she opened a Kinder egg and found 2 WC and an OG!

Bohy likes this.
  12. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

13. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

Fortune, there was the EXACT same score as in the semis here. And Lin Dan won the match from 13-18 down in the third.

14. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Phew, I'm not a fan of "name calling", but somewhat relieved to see someone else posting on this issue hehe.

For me, there's nothing else that I need to post in reply to him, as it's already posted. I believe my arguments are sound (although very controversial, because that's the nature of GOAT debates) and based on a combination of facts to formulate an opinion. I've already demonstrated the obvious fallacies in some of his arguments - even he agrees and admits that the number of titles won (alone) is not a reflection of who is the GOAT, and therefore he's absolutely contradicted himself by trying to enforce the 2 vs 1 number argument (moreover, he appears to be trying to use this as some sort of "mathematical" "proof" that someone is the GOAT, and we all know that's not possible - it's as fruitless as trying to mathematically prove that God exists or doesn't exist).

Most people would agree that it's not just the number of titles won (which is one of many important factors, but probably not even the most important) that influences who is the GOAT. He's already agreed with me on this (perhaps unknowingly?), as he's given other "facts" to support his opinion on the 64 vs 62 issue - that is, because LD wasn't able to compete in the CWG, means LCW's titles there should be stripped. The hilarious thing is that this in itself is fallacious - if we go by that logic, he would have to concede that we should only count the titles won where both LCW and LD participated in. For example, we should strip LD of his Brazil Open title, because LCW never played there. And as stated above, even if we granted the stripping of LCW's 2 CWG Golds, it would still put LCW's title count as equal to LD. And if we're only going by those numbers (which is what his fallacious argument is doing), this would mean LCW = LD in terms of GOAT status. And here he again concedes that it's not just one fact that influences who is the GOAT, as he goes on to bring up another fact - LCW has played more games than LD, and therefore LD's number of titles is more impressive etc. And this line of logic (he's conceded to) actually promotes how I formulated my opinion of Super Marin - it's based on several facts (not just one).

It's all absolutely fallacious, and reassures me that he's just trying to be funny perhaps hehe.

Bohy likes this.
  15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    I actually like John Burgess more than you know who. As you mentioned, not as technical, but the commentating is more genuine and really what he feels instead of sounding artificial and forced.

well-son, nizze and Nine Tailed Fox like this.
  16. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Marin has the world record for highest decibels for screaming. i was worried Riocentral Pavillion 4 will come tumbling down like the open ware swim platform.

17. konak

konak Regular Member

I see.

But, you know, if someone mention about Yang Yang, people will remember Morten.
    If someone mention about Park Jo Bong, I will remember Li Yong Bo.
    If someone mention about Hoyer Larsen, I will remember about Dong Jiong..
    Nobody will forget about LYD or Setiawan if people mention about CY/FHF achievement.

You know, there is fierce competition in their era. And it stayed in public memory. No need to googling it.

The fact that @Fortune ask me to google LLW or HAP competitor show that it must be one of that "BORING" era that LLW and HAP played.

nizze likes this.
  18. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

'artificial and Forced'....Hmm are we talking about the lady who ruled the Dark era of commentary.

19. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Like many people, Marin isn't close to being my favorite player. Her poor court antics, attitude and screaming totally turn me off as a badminton fan. However, there is no arguing she is currently the best WS player. Her achievement cannot be denied. However, to gain GOAT status, IMHO we need to see her maintaining her level of performance for a little more. She is definitely on her way there though.

Bohy and kelana like this.
  20. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it wasn't boring as LLW/HAP are each others partner and rival. I do believe LLW beats HAP more than the other way around. there is also this European lady who is just a little below their level but often can beat them.