2018 United States Open

Discussion in '2018 Tournaments' started by Nine Tailed Fox, May 28, 2018.

1. It'sMeMeMe

It'sMeMeMe Regular Member

that translator is quite eye-candy:rolleyes::rolleyes:

2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Actually, you only need to remove that 'offending' photo will do. Just an ordinary slip-up with virtually no consequences, nothing serious. Keep up the good work. We all appreciate it.:)

3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Bad draw for the CHN MS, all four all in the same top half. Expect the organizer to have a better spread, just avoiding R1 matchups for same nationality players is not good enough. Hope BWF looks into this problem for other tournaments and address it asap. Should be beneficial and welcome by all MAs, I presume.

4. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    o.m.g. don't you know by now it's not up to the organizers or bwf? this is an individual PROFESSIONAL tournament structured to find out the best PLAYER.

how long have you been watching badminton?
    you have an extraordinary number of posts for a newbie.

i await your predictable reply...

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

And that's your predictable response ?! You mean you didn't know once upon a time same-nationality players were often drawn together and that changed after some protests ?

What's wrong with expressing a wish for BWF and the organizer to look into the drawing of lots such that not all the players from the same MA/nation are bunched together in the same quadrant or half, apart from avoiding R1 matchups ? Are rules set in stone never to be changed ?

Whether to a newbie or oldie, do you have to adopt that kind of attitude, how old are you ? Even if you think I'm in error, is it that difficult for you to simply enlighten me ?

However, isn't the BWF HSBC WTS300 US Open held under the auspices of and sanctioned by the BWF and subject to the BWF World Tour Regulations ? See here http://system.bwf.website/documents...ons-2018/5.2.2 BWF World Tour Regulations.pdf ---- Point 6.4 Draw

lostLore likes this.
  6. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    just because bwf caved in to protests doesn't mean it was the right decision.
    read it again very very very carefully...

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Similarly, it didn't mean it was a wrong decision.

That's why I said I'm hoping BWF will look into it and make some changes to the drawing of lots for, I believe, many players would welcome it.

As I've said,and I repeat, rules are not set in stone, even the constitutions of nations have changed or evolved over time.

8. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Looks like Trump will have to battle Xi to succeed!
    And long-time ally N Korea will be on China's side. :D

#28 Loh, Jun 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  9. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

why fight over some unimportant tournament...?

Lets discuss at S500-1000 man..

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    What you are suggesting were the old rules for the draws. It used to happen in the 1990's and that rule was eventually dropped. I don't see anything wrong with same nation players having to compete with each other in any round of the tournament.

11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Just ask the players whether they like to meet their fellow teammates in R1. And there's a reason why the BWF World Tour GCR 6.4 Draw , esp 6.4.5

6.4.5. In BWF World Tour, GCR Regulation 11.11.1 (nationality separation) does not apply for Level 1-4; instead nationality separation of entries for Level 3-4 Tournaments shall be used in the main draw or in the qualifying draws so as to avoid, wherever possible, the entries from any one Member meeting in the first round. No nationality separation according to GCR Regulation 11.11 applies for Level 1 and 2 Tournaments.

How would any MA like it if they send four players and they were all drawn in the same quadrant ?

I recall Lin Dan complaining once about having all the four CHN MS drawn in the same half (of which two were in the same quadrant, iirc).

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Apart from the seeding, do you have examples of other sports which carry out such a practice?

My next question would be do you have statistical evidence that this is a non random event?

Michael V likes this.
  13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Frankly, I don't care about other sports (but I won't be surprised if the same issue exists in some of the sports for which they may have their own solutions; anyway, that's beside the point).

Of course, the drawing of lots is random but we can use artificial means or computer software to help solve the problem, or even a mix of both (alternatingly) to ensure the software has not been manipulated. I'm sure BWF have the means to do it if they want to and depending on the extent they are willing to go after weighing the pros and cons.

Personally, my concern (or wish) is :
    1) avoid same nationality players in R1;
    2) avoid up to 3 or 4 same nationality players in the same quadrant;
    3) avoid having all the players from the same MA/nationality in the same half of the draw.

On another note, we sometimes hear complaints of the same two players of different nationalities being drawn together in R1 in three or four successive tournaments. That's another related issue that I hope BWF will look into and address accordingly.

As we know, some people , mostly fans, even grumble about same nationality finals, which naturally can't be helped as or if they happened to be the two best players, not necessarily the top two seeds, in the tournament. No issue with that one. Except that the way to prevent it from happening is not by purposely putting all the same nationality players in the same half of the draw, apart from the top two seeds who are in opposite halves to begin with.

Just my initial thoughts, haven't delved into it yet.

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

So no statistical evidence

Michael V, stanleyfm and Master like this.
  15. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Similar case with New Zealand Super 300 early last month, Lin Dan once again will be centre of attention for home fans. Super Dan star power certainly is expected to draw crowd to watch his action, such a long time when he bagged silver medal in 2005 Anaheim IBF World Championships. Looking at the draw, he will take on familiar foe Lee Dong Keun at opening round. On the bottom half of draw, second seed Sameer Verma pulled out, Jorgensen v Leverdez first round clash should be interesting tie, the winner of this match will be favourite to go further in this tournament.

In women's singles category, top four seeds comprise local hopeful Zhang Beiwen, the in-form Canadian Michelle Li and two Japanese A-team member Sayaka Sato and Aya Ohori. China brings their upcoming players, Gao Fangjie, Cai Yanyan, Han Yue and Zhang Yiman to gain exposures and build up new generation as they already losing women's team supremacy in recent Uber Cup conclusion.

Qualification and Mixed Doubles R/32 will be played on Tuesday (12.00pm / 06.00pm local time) => https://www.tournamentsoftware.com/...D7EA54-4BF9-4B26-8AD4-E391B086FE0E&d=20180612

California time : https://www.worldtimezone.com/time/wtzresult.php?CiID=7201&forma=Find Time

lostLore, Sdrqaz and kwun like this.
  16. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

No stream available? I just the BWF channel and videostream, nada.

17. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
  18. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

kwun won't be coming, Super Dan.

19. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    CLELY, Loh and lostLore like this.
  20. Michael V

Michael V Regular Member

Great effort from Chan Peng Soon/Goh Liu Ying to down Seo/Chae who beat them in AUS Open final last month.