2023 Petronas Malaysia Open

Discussion in '2023 Tournaments' started by BadSmashPdx, Jan 4, 2023.

1. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Insist at the net, play the occasional flat game, have a superior consistency, insist on the neutral zone, perform more deceptive shots (it frustrates VA as it seems to be hurting his ego) ? I think a defensive/technical/strong-minded player could get to his head. But it's very easy to say and much harder to apply. VA is mastering all aspects of the game atm.

If someone found the solution, we would know it. It seems like Naraoka, PHS, and LKY partially found it though. May be a mix of those 3 styles of play would work?

Khamenman likes this.
  2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    The man that has the game to beat Viktor is Lee Zii Jia but LZJ has to overcome himself first.

3. Hassefar60

Hassefar60 Regular Member

You need to either:
    A: Have a weapon that hurts him even from the baseline.
    B: Prevent him from lifting to the baseline so consistently.

LZJ has a strong smash (A). At the WC, LKY had a combination of a hard smash and speed on court, which effectively did a bit of both (A) and (B) by stressing VA at the net. At Denmark Open, LKY did the same, this time helped a bit by fast shuttles. When AA has beaten VA in the past, he has been using deceptive half-smashes (A). Naraoka could soon be a real challenge to VA using the same tactic (A).
    I didn't watch VA vs. Prannoy at WTF so I don't know about that.

LenaicM likes this.
  4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Yes, I agree with all of you, a combination of the best of Naraoka Kodai's (reading and anticipation, consistency and accuracy, not forgetting his incredible stamina), Prannoy's (maturity, experience,overall understanding of VA's strengths, and a bit of luck in their recent encounters, in my opinion), Loh Kean Yew's (pure speed, esp when he's on top of his game, a very intuitive player), and Lee Zii Jia's (speed and raw power but need to minimise his unsteadiness, a sort of mental weakness), and, personally, I wouldn't underestimate Shi Yuqi's potential when he has regained and improved on his touch and feel for the game as well as self-belief ( in summary I feel that he has a bit of all the other four's strong points).

And, it might surprise you, I think Chou Tien Chen deserves a special mention, if not for his age 33 and past his prime, I'd rate his chances as good as any of the few mentioned,if not better, for I noticed his special ability to think on his feet - strategizing and adjusting tactics according to the situation, court sense, and probing the opponent's weakness(es) and exploiting it - as well as perseverance, and remarkable fighting spirit.

Note that we are only talking about the current crop of MS.Somehow,I believe it won't be long before one or other would emerge to give VA a run for his money. Right, an archrival or two will arise to seriously challenge Viktor Axelsen - Paris 2024 OG is still very much an open question, to me.

#484 Justin L, Jan 16, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2023
    LenaicM likes this.
  5. Hassefar60

While I do agree with your analysis of CTC, there is one minor problem: His H2H with VA is 2-15.
    I would actually reuse most of your arguments but insert AA instead.

And, as you mention, new young players like Naraoka or KV or Sen can turn up with short notice.

6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Well, Anders Antonsen has potential too and at age 25 has the advantage of youth as compared with the now aged 33 CTC, probably too late now, wishful thinking on my part.

Personally, I'm more impressed with CTC despite his age and abysmal 2-15 H2H vs VA. It makes me tempted to imagine if he were five years younger , things might be different now as I believe his continued growth and development may well propel him forward as a phenomenal late bloomer. Recall the legendary late bloomer, Zhang Ning, born 1975, who started her extraordinary upward trajectory to the top from age 28 to 33, supposedly in the tail-end of her career, garnering her first world championship title (Birmingham'03) and two Olympic golds (Athens'04 and Beijing '08), truly exceptional.

Anyway, hope to see AA get his act together fast - he and LZJ seem to suffer similar mindset issues.

7. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Lzj and syq are best candidates to beat viktor. But both mentally not prepared at the moment.

For now, only a super fit guy to run viktor down like lzj in ae. None at the moment. ;)

U need pin point accuracy shots to all the 4 corners to grind viktor. Patience rally game. No one got the patience. ;)

8. Khamenman

Khamenman Regular Member

I disagree regarding patience. Anyone can be patience or at least try to play patience game against Viktor but do you think Viktor simply won't attack? Try to play patience game against Viktor's crazy steep dropshots and smashes. My view is simpler, I think. In order to beat Viktor, Either you play the same game but do it better, or simply play anti-Viktor. And I think it's more doable to do the second than the first one. I agree with many of the analysis in posts above: try to play net and drive, try as much as you can not to lift, has to have good defense and good stamina, and still young enough to grow. So far I only see 3 candidates: KV, KN, and LKY. But I believe the next generation is coming sooner than later

9. Khamenman

Khamenman Regular Member

Double post...

10. Hassefar60

AA has also been injured. He only has 7 results on the ranking. He is on his way back now.

11. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    Your post made me want a tread to discuss young promising players in general so I created one: https://www.badmintoncentral.com/fo...become-very-good-at-senior-level-also.190474/

12. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    See cool mo.
    xtremexn.blogspot.com

I have to charge you if you want to know how to beat viktor. Lol

13. ChildrenOfBadminton

ChildrenOfBadminton Regular Member

prannoy is also a candidate, his playstyle is like viktor .

14. Khamenman

Khamenman Regular Member

I don't think so. Had Prannoy been 20-22 years old now, then maybe. He is 30 years old, older than Viktor. Im sorry, but he is not a strong candidate to beat Viktor. He couldn't even beat Naraoka in Malaysia Open

15. ChildrenOfBadminton

not talking of the future or as a young co=andidate , but now . past 2 meetings went to prannoy. it is evident prannoy has it in him . also , naraoka is basically playing the 2nd best after viktor. LKY lost single digits to KV with the same logic , so he also isnt a candidate then .
    my opinion

justiceforlcy likes this.
  16. Khamenman

Khamenman Regular Member

Then agree to disagree. It's difficult to get an agreement when it's a matter of subjectivity. PS: Prannoy just lost to Sen

17. ChildrenOfBadminton

no shame in losing to a fellow top 10 player. also past 2 meetings clearly says he has it in him. anyways. id put sen in the list too ;)

18. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Wow, a great formular!

I red that already, tomorrow I will register to a Super tour 50 and thank for your free information.

Please support me on my journey to defeat Viktor.

19. viver

viver Regular Member

I was busy in the last few days and had a chance to have a peek into the WS Finals. I think it may not be a stamina issue in the third game, but a physical issue. I believe An slowed down after a landing, it seems either got cramps or a injury. I do agree with you that her skills may have improved, Akane had to change the strategy to win the second game. But for now, Akane's skill and mostly fitness, I think are the determining factors.

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    And a drink