Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

21-0 Target

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Heer, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Heer

Heer Regular Member

Hey guys ! some time before , due to some problems with my game like lack of consistency, continuity and concentration my gameplay was deteriorating . I placed my problem before my coach and after some exchange of ideas between us , he asked me that you need to try to concentrate more and more on your game . For doing this , you can try to win by maximum points you can against your opponent . It will benefit you even when your opponent is weak and due to this you are losing points due to a kind of motivational problem against weaker opponents . I was also given a target to win by 21-0 .
    Now I want to discuss this with you all . Your past experience will really help me in achieving it . Have you ever defeated anybody by this margin ? It is very hard even against weak opponents .

2. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member

Hmm, wouldn't you play too much for safety if you weren't allowed to lose a single point?

Two things that help more to keep concentration high:
    1) Always think about the current point. The current result doesn't matter.
    2) Especially pay attention to 1-2 things to improve your game.

3. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Trust me, 21-0 is almost impossible. Even if you are playing against someone way below your level. You will - even if it's only subconsciously - relax a little and this will lead to unforced errors. Best I ever did was 21-1. It only takes a small mistake, a framehit from your opponent, a lucky net cord and so on...

Now, why would you even do this? If you seriously think you could achieve a score like that against your opponent you are or he is obviously in the wrong league. If you are able to toy with your opponent or crush him, how do you expect to get any kind of motivation? Doesn't really matter if you win 21-0, 21-5 or 21-15. All scores are comfortable, imo. And if you are just setting yourself that target to play better, it's too unrealistic to be of any help.

My advice would be trying to play the best badminton you can and not focus on the score. If you will do that and are the better player on that, you will undoubtedly win and the score will be fine too. If you are playing badly because you are nervous, try focussing on enjoying the game more and not focus on winning too much. Making unforced errors, lacking consistency can have a lot of reasons. I ruled out technical issues because you said you have a coach. If there are glaring deficiencies he would have noticed and corrected them, I suppose.

dtjovan, s_mair, visor and 2 others like this.
  4. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Rather than trying to win the game 21-0, why not try this :

For motivations, some say that nothing works well than a threat to your beloved favorite thing.. heh.. heh.. heh (evil laugh) :D:D.
    Let's say you have favorite toys that you love so much or your beloved car you don't want anyone to touch or whatever.

Set of a realistic goal or a scoreline depending on your opponent. Or have your coach be the referee or something.
    If you failed to achieve your goal (for example to win within the margin given), then your favorite toy will be confiscated. If you failed again, another one will be taken and so on.

This has to be something that you really don't want to lose or happen, otherwise it won't be enough to be a "motivation" to keep your concentration level at the highest when playing because you will want to fight so hard to keep your favorite toy in tact.

Some people could thrive with positive reinforcement (praises etc), some with negative (threats etc) depends on the person really.
    Which one are you:D:D

5. Cesium

Cesium Regular Member

Web Developer
    Should always try to play against stronger opponents instead of someone you can win 21-0

6. Heer

Heer Regular Member

I just not mean absolutely 21-0 but the main problem with me is after having a good start , my shorts suddenly starts going wrong . This creates a problem for me not only against strong opponents but against weaker opponents which is the biggest concern for me. Once I had a strong lead of 11-2 but at last it was 21 -19 in his favour and till 11-2 I was looking very strong against him but suddenly everything starts just deteriorating . Against stronger players this thing also comes in between suddenly . Once the match was almost equally dominated by both of us and the score was 15-15 but suddenly my shorts started getting away from the court . Not only the game went to his pocket by 21-15 but also in the next game , he defeated me 21-4 . These incidents reiterate from time to time.
    So I thought if I play with an objective of 21-0 victory then I'll not lose my concentration because it is very hard to finish like that and no matter how the opponent is , strong or weak I can't lose points against him specially those which are almost gifted by me to my opponent . It's not strictly 21-0 but a comprehensive victory of about 21-7 against weaker player and a deserving win against stronger players can be achieved , as per me .
    Is it right ? Because I want to improve my game .

7. SimonCarter

SimonCarter Regular Member

I think more than trying to win 21-0 (which will fail as soon as your opponent scores one point) you need to focus on the ongoing rally and not on the score.
    Not thinking about past points is very important to not get stuck in a bad mindset.

LenaicM and ucantseeme like this.
  8. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

I recommend to not play opponents who are much weaker than yourself. In a tournament or league this shouldn't happen and in training...you know the role of the underdog? The underdog can focus on playing, nobody awaits anything. The much better player await a clear win for himself, make the gap as huge as possible to don't get close to the underdog. You always play under pressure and with expectations for yourself, friends and so on. I normally play opponents that give me 3 set matches or a tight 2 set. Much more pressure and excitement to keep up motivation and stay focuse and concentrated. If you slip for a few points you mess up your result as well. If you play people you fall a sleep, you won't gain anything. Who cares if you won 21:0, 21:3, 21:5 or 21:9? If you slip for a few points it don't put IMO any pressure on you.

LenaicM likes this.
  9. Heer

Heer Regular Member

OK
    I will take all your suggestions into consideration and try to improve my gameplay .
    But what to do when I lose points against weaker opponents because we can't skip matches against them because in a tournament we have to face strong as well as weak opponents . It all depends on draw not on our will otherwise I would try to play minimum matches against them .
    Should I continue following that advice but only against weaker opponents because I have improved a great against them by following it . I have not made a 21-0 but consistency have increased.
    Also tell me how should I improve this tendency to lose points suddenly.

#9 Heer, Feb 13, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  10. BThane

BThane New Member

I've lost 21-0 before. The guy I was playing matched up really well against me. I had a weak clear, so he served to the baseline. I then hit a clear short of the baseline, and he was very tall so he intercepted it even sooner and could always hit it to where I wasn't. Eventually I adapted and got some points off him in the second game by hitting my returns flat to the net, but still wasn't pretty.

If you aren't playing someone with a major weakness like I had though you'll have to get very lucky to get 21-0. Still, that mindset of treating every point as important is good to have. It's really hard to avoid shifts in the game though. Even if you play very consistently, your opponent may learn your weaknesses over time and improve their score as the game progresses.

11. visor

visor Regular Member

To OP, so if you can't get 21-0, then you missed your goal? In other words, do you really mean you're playing with a start of giving the opponent 20 free points? That is start off with match point down 0-20? If so, then that's foolish.

If you're aiming to keep your opponent in the single digit, then that would be a better goal.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

12. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

The "weaker" opponent is not always as weak as you might think. Your thoughts, the thoughts of other make them the weak guy. I suggest to take every opponent serious and never judge before. Even if you think it can be an easy run.
    I don't know what tournaments you play, but normally they are categorized. You normally don't play beginners and beasts in the same group. I wouldn't care too much about lost points. If you loose points due your play, respect and kudos to your opponent. If you loose points due your own unforced errors, work on them. IMO an overall court performance is for me more important than win-loss statistics. I improved over the years to know my strength and weakness as well and worked on my weakness and train them. Sometimes a temporary solution can cover them as well. IMO improvements got proven against real opponents.

LenaicM likes this.
  13. akatsuki2104

akatsuki2104 Regular Member

What I tried some years ago was to concentrate on every shot I play. When I plan to do a dropshot, I will try to concentrate on not making the mistake or really focus on my accuracy. If it were a lift, I will try to focus on the lenght, etc... I did this for every shot. As for the tactics, I just played by instinct.
    It helped me improve my accuracy.
    Don't be too concern about the score, especially when "it has to be" 21-0. You will only be more tense and be less precise.
    Hope this will help :D