4 large clubs in the SF bay area, can we fill them all?

Discussion in 'USA West' started by kwun, May 16, 2005.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    you missed bintang2, which just got announced.

2. drowsysmurf

drowsysmurf Regular Member

Make ppl happy O_O
    wow... opens in november... i live right between bintang and bintangII -_-;;; they couldn't open it closer to me? =P

3. Dummey

Dummey Regular Member

Student
    I want one in San Leandro =D

4. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    It's only 20 minutes from bintang1 to bintang2. That means it's only 10 minutes for you to go to either one. You are asking for too much. :rolleyes::cool::D:p:eek::(;)

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    totally agree. i used to travel 30+mins to go to badminton. i can't believe ppl are complaining about 10-15 mins... ;)

6. shreky

shreky Regular Member

30 minutes??? i travel 60 minutes to play badminton .... 90 minutes if i take the train ... :( .... someone told me before that some even travel 2 hrs just to play badminton. i believe they guy works in a farm in cali and obviously there is no badminton in their area ....

7. remix441

remix441 Regular Member

Student
    Out of the clubs in the bay area which one do you guys think has the best badminton training program. Which ones helped you improved the best, and helpful. SmashCity, BinTang, UBC.

8. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

i travel 25-30 min to play when im up north and almost 45 min when im down south. a socal car trip can EASILY take 2x as long so 1:30 -2 hrs to play, good thing sgvbc is 24 hrs :p cant wait til bbc opens up :D

9. remix441

remix441 Regular Member

Student
    I've recently paid a visit to all 3 gyms in the Bay area. SmashCity, BinTang, UBC. All 3 gyms were pretty good.

Bintang i liked the computerized system that they had, it made it easy to play some court games especially the singles court/doubles. It had a great atmosphere the pepople there were friendly, but the thigns i didnt really like was the ceiling was a bit low, everytime i would try to hit a clear it would hit one of those post in the cieling. But thats no big deal, it would be great if there were water fountains there. I loved the mats there were not too soft nor too hard. Overall an enjoyable place and feel for badminton.

SmashCity i feel is a very-large place. They put the courts so that there is alot of room in between, so poeple can watch or walk around without any nuiscanes. I like it because it is very big and spread out. It has out of the 3 gyms a larger variety of badminton gear, and items. I like the fact that it has water foutains, but it seems there were no queing system for court games. It was more like first-come first serve. Whenver i go there, people just hop on courts and play and until their tierd they leave. However great place

UBC is a godo place in a desolate area. It looks great on the outside, the ocurts are nice but i find them a bit too soft. I liked the computerized system on BinTang more becasue it was easier to use. The UBC computerized system felt a bit complicated. But still it was nice that it was there. It was easy to find pick up games there. Great place but need more courts

Out of the 3 i think i SmashCity becuase of the spacious areas. However i like BinTangs system of court games. In SmashCity i find it hard to find a partner to play, becuase most people have their partners and want to play with themselves. Overall great experience

10. shreky

shreky Regular Member

remix ... have you tried Golden Gate Badminton (GGBC)? they have good floors like Bintang but better lighting (in my opinion).

i agree the UBC courts are too soft. someone i played with in cali told me that they have carpet underneat the floors and that is good for training purposes (i think it makes you work harder because the mat kinda slows you down - not really sure).

layout wise, smash city is the best. but the floors are too hard. lighting is great as well.

i believe there is a water fountain in Bintang (i think it is near court 11). i always bring my own drink so i don't pay much attention to them.

but hold on, 3 more gyms are on the way. BBC and GGBC2 are opening soon. Bintang2 will be in November .... 3 more reasons to move to cali :D

11. shreky

shreky Regular Member

traffic in socal is crazy .... i thought NY/NJ area was bad until i hit socal

12. remix441

remix441 Regular Member

Student
    nope, i havent tried GGBC, yea SmashCity layout wize is the best everything is spaced out the only thing is just courts are hard. I heard it is layed on top of concrete. It feels someowhat like concrete. But Bintang is better if you dont got a partner becuase u can just play on the singles court and things. Anyone feel that SmashCity doesnt have a queing system it is just who jumps on a court first?

13. shreky

shreky Regular Member

14. remix441

remix441 Regular Member

Student
    the layout of apac kind of reminds of bintang, but more spacious

15. skunklover

skunklover Regular Member

student
    i personally prefer UBC, i just show up, and i will always see sumone from my HS there at some time during my visit, and i usually spend like 10AM to 5PM, stop only for lunch

16. hybridragon

hybridragon Regular Member

Student
    My two favorites are APAC and GGBC at the moment. I've been to Smash City and it looks nice but I haven't played in it, so I can't judge it at the moment.

APAC is good for me mainly because it is convienent to get to for me and the floors are not bad. The lighting is also decent (I've played in almost every kind of lighting, so I'm okay with almost anything), and it's quite spacious. People there are also pretty friendly. Getting a court usually isn't that hard, but when it's busy, some people don't like to rotate out even when their time is up. Or they sign up for multiple courts or multiple times. I think APAC still needs to fix up its rules so that such loopholes don't exist and ensure equal playing time for everyone. But other than that problem at peak hours, I think it's a fine gym.

GGBC is pretty nice and has probably one of the better floors that I've played on. Lighting isn't also bad, and the queuing system they have ensures equality in playing time. Downsides for me is that during the day, the gym is too humid/hot, but at night it seems good enough. Another one would be that it's too far for me, but with GGBC2 opening, it'll be much closer to me.

UBC isn't bad, I like the players that goes there, but I don't like how most of the courts are taken for 'training classes' and if you don't know when they have practices, you pay to get in, and then you wait for an hour or two just to play. I also don't like their inner courts that have 'bumps' on the flooring mats.

I haven't been to Bintang, but I'm looking forward to visit it at least once despite its distance from me.

17. remix441

remix441 Regular Member

Student
    yea, UBC seem to have one court that has a huge buble bump.