A Jnice Black Panther review

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Shamwow, Aug 3, 2021.

1. Rimano

Rimano Regular Member

Ok. So I went out and finally brought a 4U.
    Haven't had a chance to use this yet, so will come back after a few sessions.
    Why the BP? I was thinking I needed a more forgiven racket in terms of power, whilst still maintaining the speed.

Here's my initial thoughts.
    Quality control is definitely slightly iffy. It's not bad, but if you look deep enough there's a few uneven spots in the clear coating and also one of the grommets got bent and not inserted properly.

Coming from a 90K 4U, I'm curious to see if it's faster for me too like the first review. Both are similar thin and aero like. The only difference is that the BP has wave like structure on the outside, so the strings are more recessed.

The outer part (where the strings would sit) of the BP frame is interesting. The frame has the wave structure from the bottom to about 2 o'clock and then it's recessed like any other racket. However the top 5 pairs of main holes have a wave structure underneath the string.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

2. Rimano

Rimano Regular Member

Ok first session done. Will need a couple more sessions but there's a very good chance this will replace my 90K.
    My defence was pretty good. Power was really easy and this probably contributed to defensive drives and lifts.
    The BP really does feel like it's better than the 90k in everything it does. The only thing you losing is that razor sharpness, but the BP isn't bad and I was hitting some good angled smashes.

Shamwow and John Xina like this.
  3. Shamwow

Shamwow Regular Member

If you are getting another one you must try the 3u version :D

4. Rimano

Rimano Regular Member

Probably stick to 4U, because I like to have similar rackets. I was wondering whether I should have at least 1 3U for training or maybe when I need that extra bit power.

5. John Xina

John Xina Regular Member

I believe @Raju was asking for a comparison of the Black Panther and Astrox 88D Pro, so here it is. :D
    BP setup: 3U, VBS68 25lbs
    88D Pro setup: 4U, BG66UM 24lbs
    Both felt like they had similar speed through the air, but the 88D required significantly more effort to reach peak speed due to the head weight even though I was playing with the 4U version.
    88Dp is definitely stiffer, but is comfortable enough for anyone who is used to stiff racquets. Of course, the 88Dp is noticeably more powerful; there's way more boom with smashes and clears.
    Both have similar control and stability, but maneuverability is much easier with the BP. A lot more effort was required for me to be able to move the 88Dp where I wanted it to during game time, and my arm really felt it after some time.
    I'd say the BP does very well at both front and back court, while 88Dp excels much more at the rear and is just "doable" at the front in comparison.
    I still prefer the Black Panther due to it's all-around performance, but if true head heavy power racquets are your thing, I think the Astrox 88 Pro is the best out of Yonex's current offerings, or at the very least the easiest and most comfortable to play with for a majority of players.

yenyesoh and Raju like this.
  6. Raju

Raju Regular Member

@John Xina that was fast. Completely agree with your review, 88D pro (i have 4U as well) struggles in flat exchanges and fast drives. BP is fast because of frame design may be?

When I am feeling great I will go with 88D Pro and smashes were so satisfying. After few sessions and when my arm gets tired I will shift to TKFE.

It looks like TKFE is similar to BP. TKFE is fast, even balanced, medium flex and the free core is superb for me.

7. John Xina

John Xina Regular Member

It certainly is because of the frame design, and the balance point (slightly hh vs true hh) in conjunction attributes to the easier maneuverability vs the 88Dp.
    Very interesting that you say the TKFE is even balanced and mid-stiff; everything I've read has described it as slightly hh and stiff. I look forward to trying one out myself sometime. :D

Raju likes this.
  8. John Xina

John Xina Regular Member

Gotta make a confession. Since receiving my Yonex Nanoflare 800 and Arcsaber 11 Pro, I've been neglecting the Black Panther for weeks, and I've been bouncing between the two formers as my main racquet.
    Well, yesterday and today I whipped back out the Black Panther and, goddamn, what a great freakin' racquet.
    I've fallen back in love with this thing, and it's back on top as my favorite racquet. All hail the Black Panther. Ahaha. :D

9. Raju

Raju Regular Member

For me it feels like an even balanced, not too head heavy. Also different designs to frame makes it faster to swing . It's not as stiff as 88D pro.

10. BadmintonDave

BadmintonDave Regular Member

What's the exact model etc that you have? I'm a doubles player mainly and you might have just convinced me to try one out.

Do they ship to UK? @John Xina

11. Rimano

Rimano Regular Member

UK are lucky enough to have a stockist, Badminton racket review.

What are your current rackets? I brought a 4U and my usual racket is also a 4U 90K.

12. Rimano

Rimano Regular Member

Ok my second club session done. I ultimately judge my racket on my bad days and since I was coming back from COVID, this was one of those days.

I'm probably not saying anything new, but the access to power is on another level compared to my 90K.

Stay away if you think the 90K is too flex for you, otherwise the BP should be on everyone's try list.

Anyway placed an order for a second and probably going to end my racket trying journey (well at least for a couple of months anyway. ).

13. Rimano

Rimano Regular Member

Ok found my scales and took some measurement. Similar string and grip setup but different overgrip brands.

90K, weight 90.9g, headweight 40.3g
    BP, 94.1g, 41.3g

The BP is probably top end 4U and would explain the extra power. I guess what's impressive is I'm not seeing any slowness compared to the 90K, which is making the BP seem a bit special.

Shamwow and Dave1011 like this.
  14. jonnynova

jonnynova New Member

Hi, I currently use 88dpro 4u and after reading some of the posts regarding the Black Panther I'm quite intrigued to try one out, mainly because I want to feel the speed I supposedly am missing out on in drive and net exchanges. I mainly play doubles and probably am about 60% back court, do you think I should go for the 3u or 4u BP? Many thanks

15. Shamwow

Shamwow Regular Member

3u for sure

16. John Xina

John Xina Regular Member

I'd say 3U if you still want the rearcourt power. It's heavier overall, but you'd definitely feel less of the headweight lag that you get when swinging the 4U 88D.

17. Rimano

Rimano Regular Member

4U for sure!
    Joking aside, it depends on your previous rackets and whether you want all out speed or don't want to sacrifice that much power.
    Something I noticed was that the 4U has a higher balance point than the 3U, which might mean it can still hit pretty hard.

18. jonnynova

jonnynova New Member

thanks for your input guys, I'm still debating if I need the faster racket in the 4u to swap to for example if my doubles partner is a stronger rear court player and I become mainly front/mid court in some games. It sounds like the difference in power outweighs the difference in speed? Is that why I should still go for the 3u? Also I was looking at badminton racket reviews and the 4u scored higher in smash (9/10 Vs 8/10) compared to the 3u which is a bit confusing..

19. BadmintonDave

BadmintonDave Regular Member

3U G4 Nanoray 800 is my go-to racquet

4u G5 Nanoflare 800 (not sure about the U, but the grip is G5) is the racquet I am trying to get used to. It's completely different to the Nanoray 800 and I'm still not used to where the head is when playing with it. @Rimano

I did see that stockist and the wait period put me off a bit :(

20. Rimano

Rimano Regular Member

Need to take note that BRR seems to have a preference for light rackets. The Jnice elastic air scores one of the highest if not the highest.

Weight preference is very much down to the individual. I switched to 4U and seem to be hitting harder.

Gpower likes this.