A Letter to Nathan Robertson

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by line_judge, Mar 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GunBlade008

GunBlade008 Regular Member

Student, Retail.
    Peter Gade is the mark of sportsmanship in the badminton world. Nathan Robertson would do well to learn from Peter's conduct in-game. Although the complaint was valid at the beginning of your letter, it has lost most of its credibility because you personally attacked Nathan's skills or lack of skills.

2. Joyous

Joyous Regular Member

Yeah, do agree with chris@cc and Kwun. Players have the right to challenge line calls because line judges do make mistakes at times (to err is human). I have seen LCW, PG, LD & others doing that but they normally respect the final decision from the umpire & walk away probably shaking their heads & continue to play.

I guess Nathan was so hyped up & couldn't keep his composure but there was no excuse for him to make unkind remarks. Remember the time when Zhang Yawen was penalised something like >10x for serving above the waist and yet persevered to come out on top in that match.

3. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Its better to foward this letter to England BA instead of putting it up here. But anyway its also good to have it read here.

4. tjl_vanguard

tjl_vanguard Regular Member

Student
    im standing for line_judge...

i mean he didnt cheat during his judgement right?

plus the unacceptable behaviour of Nathan Robertson which i would desribe as untoleratable (correct spelling? my english not tat good hehe) in badminton world.. we are our way to promote the sport to be the best in the world and incidents such as this should not be occuring and ESPECIALLY in the elite level and furthurmore its Super Series and ALL ENGLAND CHAMPIONSHIP which is famed for its age and prestigious state...

If Nathan were to regard himself as a PROFESSIONAL player, he must, first, take a closer look at his personal attitude... attitude such as this wont bring him far...

I know some Chinese players are the same as well but they know when to hold back and they only react in such a way when there are really bias judgements.....

Cheers.... :)

5. Stealthboy

Stealthboy Regular Member

I.T.
    Can anybody remember a tennis player called John McEnroe well he would blow up almost every week and the judges accepted the nature of the job. He was also one of the best players ever.

Nathan maybe is not a saint but no one can accuse him of being a poor player with a weak smash I mean you would really have to know nothing about Badminton to say something so stupid. He is a world champion and has won the All England previously. Oh yes and he is due to have surgery on his troublesome arm this week.

The line judge who posted this letter should not be in that position by some of those remark's they have made. It actually point's out how immature they are. Where did you win the prize to be a line judge? A kinder surprise egg!

6. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    IMO.. Nathan is just too hype up during that match. No one is perfect and he might not even realise that he made that statement. He may be guilty of not able to control his emotions and need to learn from PG and others. But i'm sure he is a great guy.

7. Stealthboy

I.T.
    Thankyou finally someone who speaks sense. Well said.:D

8. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

Just because Nathan is a profressional player, it doesn't give him the right to abuse people. I would call the line judge improfressional if he yell back at Nathan at the court, but he didn't in this case.

9. tjl_vanguard

tjl_vanguard Regular Member

Student
    I second tat.... :D

10. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    No big thing.. Do you know of a Tennis player called John McEnroe :p :D ...

If Nathan isn't able to control his feelings, and is abusive... It probably hurts him more than anyone else.. = less fans, less sponsor-money etc :)

Still There are rules, and the main-judge can penalize player for missbehaving etc..

We have seen LD loosing his temper, Nathan sometimes has a really bad attitude (imop), something for him to work on.. BUT...

That doesn't take away the fact that Nathan is an extremely good badmintonplayer..

And, as shown in the letter, when this "linejudge" starts bashing his "skills".. that just shows how hard it is for most humans to stay calm and objective, and not beeing overpowered by their emotions..

/Twobeer

11. ela04cz

ela04cz Regular Member

You are saying this because you are just a watcher of this incidence, if you were on that chair and was insulted in that way, if you are so kind to simulate this situation rather than help Nathan attack this volunteer, I don't think you will hold your current opinion any more.

12. ela04cz

ela04cz Regular Member

Above all thses arguments, Nathan 's words is catagorised as violation of human rights and racist.

It does not matter what is the reason of saying these words, it is just appalling.

I agree that the line judge has been over-heated by commenting Nathan's badminton skill.

But I can totally understand a volunteer's anger after being yelled and pointed to on the court like this.

13. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Yes, it is totally understandable... I can also understand a player saying stupid things and being heated if he thought a line-call was wrong...

The problem I think for both Nathan (and also the line-judje), is that they are not able to control their emotions. Is it really that hard to be a little more mature and not so easilly offended?

Just becuase someone insults you doesn't mean you HAVE to take it personally..

Whats wrong with a calmly stating onces argument?

I think it is dangerous if we are to easilly offended, and too emotinal-instable to not being able to accept other peoples shortcomings.. These days are worrying with highly religious people, and fundamentalists everywhere, with very low tolerance of other peoples behaviour or views..

Lets hope they both can become "bigger persons"...

/Twobeer

14. Iain CS

Iain CS Regular Member

Line Judge, I assume that posting this open letter on a public forum is a last resort and that you reported your complaints to your relevant superior on the day.

Personally, although never having been a line judge, I would say that although there is no excuse for abuse, things do get said in the heat of the moment but I would say, if you can't accept that, then don't do the job.

15. ela04cz

ela04cz Regular Member

You are saying if people were insulted in sports games, just accept it, no need to protect their own right, just accept it, because the players have the right to insult people?

Volunteers own the right to work without intimidations or abusements. If they encounter such things, they are absolutely right to have the support from public.

16. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    No but.. The problem with "insults" is that there is no definitve line, and it is very often in the eye of the beholder... Sometimes people insult other people without being aware that they are insulting..

Some people get insultet for very small things, and some are more tolerant and self-confident.

Personally I think it would be so much better if most people tried to raise their tolerance-bar and not get so easilly insulted... And when/if insulted try to stay calm, and use verbal self-defence :)

17. tubby

tubby Regular Member

Letter to an idiot Line Judge

Line Judge - Please stop writting such stupid posts. You make yourself look very silly

I must ask - have you ever played sport at a level high enough to have a close call make an impact on your earnings. I doubt it.

Did you make any mistakes during the tournament? What is the impact on you if you make a mistake. There is none. What is the impact on the players - it could be massive.

I am not saying that being a line judge is easy, but for you to have the audacity to start critisizing players is quite insulting.

Who remembers the end of the first game of the final between Peter Gade and Chen Jin in the China Masters (might have been the China open). A shot that was blatantly out was called in so that Chen Jin could win the first game. Did Peter complain - you bet he did.

Other examples - Taufik Walking out of a game, Chen Hong delaying play for a few minutes, the Chinese coaches shouting out from the sidelines. Complaints happen all the time and to think that your idols dont say anything is niaive. Line judges get it wrong a lot!

Zheng Bo should not shout anything when it is a close call until a clear decision has been made. This is very rude and the fact that he didnt apologise afterwards makes Zheng Bo even ruder and less of a sportsman. Nathan shouldnt swear, but he is well within his rights to get the umpire to tell Zheng to shut up. Most other players would apologise for trying to influence the line judge.

You should not be line judge in a competition of this nature if this is your first time as a line judge. The fact that you have written this letter is proof of it.

Where is your Olympic spirit? I would trather listen to a silver medalist than you.

18. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I don't think so. Players apologise when the umpire tells them to stop influencing the line judge, but not automatically.

Incidentally, It would be interesting to know if Gao/Zheng insulted the Umpire when he called Zheng Bo's net kill over the net in the 1st (?) game when the replay showed clearly that the contact was made on their side.

19. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

I do not agree the way that Mr Line Judge bash about Nathan's skill but that doesn't make Nathan's misbehaving legal.

This is sounds just like when people blame China for being too dominant for their team loses. It is two separate things completely!!! And Nathan started it so Mr Line Judge deserves an apology despite the naïve comment he made afterward.

20. Stealthboy

I.T.
    Very well put that is my view point. If you are that such a fragile person don't be a line judge. This is all a bit silly really. I am an English born Indian and even I think people jump the gun sometimes and shout "racism" a bit too early.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.