A Letter to Nathan Robertson

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by line_judge, Mar 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

That’s a very ill minded point of view. Why don't you call say Nathan is such a fragile person who couldn't accept a line call and blame on the judge, so he shouldn't be a professional player in this case, right? I guess not.

I strongly believe we humans are all equal and no one has the right to offend and abuse other, regardless of race and position.

And mind you that the line judge is a volunteer, if you believe that he is not suitable for the position then blame the organizer for choosing the wrong person but not the line judge himself. Learn to appreciate someone for spending their time and effort to make our beloved badminton more enjoyable to watch.

2. GunBlade008

GunBlade008 Regular Member

Student, Retail.
    Regardless of one's 'fragilty', or their qualifications to be a line judge and to cope with stress and whatnot, the bottom line is that what Nathan said to the line judge was completely inappropiate and racially discriminatory, no matter HOW you interpret what he said, that is what he meant. He said "That's a Chinese right there!" which implies that based on the line judge's ethnicity, he/she was cheating in order to give ZB/GL the point.

This however, was not true and the line judge was correct on the ruling. No matter how hot one may get in a competition, it may be acceptable to swear to yourself, but to bluntly make a racial discrimination when there was no basis for it, is NOT acceptable.

3. SlingShot

SlingShot New Member

Graphic Designer
    Line Judge

You are on a mission today, you have posted exactly the same message on Badders.com!

4. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Thanks for the pointer, SlingShot. It was an interesting read.

-dave

5. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

"A letter to Nathan Robertson"?

Hardly. You have not, I assume, actually sent it to him :p

Though I cannot condone Nathan's purported behaviour, I find this mock-confrontation on a forum rather pathetic.

6. bbball

bbball Regular Member

Hiiz, Bein of chinese descent i can c why anyone would find it offensive but NR is a decent player tho but still not to condone this behaviour. i dont think he ia s racist tho that is going ott, he does have a brazilian/spanish gf i saw not too long ago in milton keynes and if he was a racist then he wouldnt even look that way so i think we shud cut him some slack there. maybe tho this shud be taken up in some profesional manner instead of on a forum? and GE is pretty hot too. thought id get that one in! hope that didnt offend any1:D :D :D

7. line judge

line judge New Member

To people with and against me

To friends who supported me, thank you all, I appreciate it a lot!

To people who are against me, I want to say several things:

1.you guys used a lot of words which are much lower than mine in the letter, such as idiot, stupid... I do not mind, I was quite ready when I post the article here.:)

2. Some say I should send the letter to him rather than post it here, I sent it to him already, I also want people to see what happened at the moment, so I also put it here.

3. I looked for him to confront after match, he disappeared.

4. If you guys were in my chair at the moment, I am very sure you will say different things. Again, words like 'sports is an emotional thing...people get heat' are not excuses, emotion of what? You are emotional so you can insult people?

At last, still I need to thank you all, as my 'mission' has been accomplished, I know some will be against, but all I want is to show his behaviour to other people. You may say I am low too, but I do not care. You may say his behaviour is quite common, but I believe there are always facts, no matter what you guys said for him, what he did could not be hided away. :cool:

And by the way, thank you for keeping on attacking me personally, you guys just showed others that you are not that 'high' either. ;)

#47 line judge, Mar 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2007
  8. tjl_vanguard

tjl_vanguard Regular Member

Student
    come on guys.... line judge has his rights to speak for himself..
    i believe he just wanna tell everyone that he DID NOT cheat on the call....

he just wanna keep it clean tats all... all those flaming words are just too much... :) keep it cool guys

9. j_e_thompson

j_e_thompson Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Emms will definitely see it then. She was already complaining that some of the comments on there make her out to be an alcoholic...

10. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Maybe you missunderstood my point.. I am not saying Nathans outburs was right and justified... I am just saying that there will always be situations where people offend you with or without intent...

But two wrongs, dont make a right...

And if someone calles me a "Stupid Swede", I don't imideately jump the gun and call them a racist :p

/Twobeer

11. Makkem_1

Makkem_1 Regular Member

I think line judge is being unfair:

Firstly - ZB trying to influence the umpire is out of order, and Nathan telling the ump to tell him to stop it is fine in my book... So he used the f-word?? big deal... In the same situationm I might forget myself: I get riled with injustice on the court quite often.

I don't think the 'Chinese' comment is racist: I mean, he was accusing him of bias not abusing his nationality [and when I watch football etc, I am known to complain about the 'twelfth man' if the ref gives decisions against my team. I think Nathan should have kept it to himself tho.

All the comments by line judge about nathan's skills are silly. I mean, he doesn't have a huge smash, but it is the angles, change of pace and deception which do the business. [same with eg Lee Chong Wei in MS]

12. crosscourt

crosscourt Regular Member

Legal
    Assuming line_judge's description is accurate, it clear that NR was wrong. Players shouldn't question the linejudge's calls let alone suggest bias. Although it's understandable in the heat of the moment it is still wrong and NR should have apologised.

Equally though line_judge, your attack on NR's ability is equally unwarranted. As much as you may dislike him as a player there is simply no need for a personal attack on his badminton skills. I don't think you'll find a single objective badminton fan that would share your assessment of him. I think if you hadn't launched that rather personal attack you would have got a lot more sympathy for what happened to you.

Ironically, I suppose you probably understand more than any of us how NR may have been so annoyed that he said something he possibly didn't really mean.

13. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    As I understand it he was infferring that the line judge was biased because of his nationality, which is the very definition of racism.

As many people have stated and more or less agreed so far that if the description line_judge gives us is an accurate reflection of what happened:

-Nathan was not wrong to question the decision of the linejudge

-Nathan was wrong to personally insult (Perhaps racially) the line judge

-Zheng Bo should not deliberately and pre-emptively call the shuttle out (if he actually did-this is an impossible point to prove), this is the line judges ad umpires call

-Nathan has a right to complain to the umpire about ZB calling shuttles out, and the umpire can warn ZB (This didn't happen-I myself cannot see the point of these "warnings" or indeed yellow cards)

-Line_judge calling Nathan an amateur with a weak smash is lowering himself to the same level of his critism in the first place, and simply incorrect. Nathan has a quite good smash, but uses it sparringly since he is not an explosive player who smashes hard all the time, he often hits slow smashes deliberately when not in full control of the rally.

I do not agree that all people should raise their level of tolerance to abuse, but that in public and especially people you are unfamilliar with you should be more careful with their comments and simply be polite so the tolerance levels of different people are eliminated.

14. SlingShot

SlingShot New Member

Graphic Designer
    With comments like this, you have got to question the reliability of the facts from Line Judge. All alegations made by Line Judge are not backed up by any factual evidence!

15. Viper2005

Viper2005 Regular Member

Play Badminton Everyday!
    How did Nathan know the line judge was CHINESE????:confused: :confused: :confused:
    The line judge could of been Malaysian, Indonesian, Vietnamese, Japanese, Korean, or from any Asian Countries.

So if Nathan was playing against a Japanese team, he would of said...YOU JAP!:eek:

16. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    This is a gross generalisation, but in general UK people tend in the first instance describe oriental looking people as "Chinese"

17. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    You win. Excellent observation.

18. Makkem_1

Makkem_1 Regular Member

With regard to the 'Chinese comment': i agree that he is accusing the line judge of bias. However - if the official were Chinese! - he should not - in my opinion - be called upon to officiate in a match between a Chinese pair and another nationality pair. [in the same way with football officials, it allows at least the possibility for bias even in a fair minded official who is willing the shuttle to land on the line say... A great body of evidence supports the manufacture of 'false' or subjecive memories - i.e. ask any 2 people to describe a car accident they both witnessed, perfect corroboration is difficult, memory has a subjective aspect!]

I think from inference the official, being Asian, probably viewed it as racist - I would say thoughtless, paranoid and not PC but not. It is not accusing the Chinese of dishonesty as a national characteristic, and that is why I don't think it is racist. In the same way, i bet other players playing against an english player with an english ref would wonder when close calls went against them.....

My take on Nathan? Well, I only met the guy once and off court he seems a nice enough guy. But as I know from my own play - sometimes on court the 'animal' takes over when you fight hard for every point! I disagree - in principle - with how he acted, but even at my humble level of play, it is striking how personally and passionately a person gets involved - as the football manager Bill Shankley said it's not a matter of life and death, it's more important than that!

I have only ever lost it once with a line judge, who called my serve foul repeatedly- in my younger days it must be said. I asked him why and he gave his reason - I said I was doing what he considered a legal serve, so play continued [thank God it was 15 points not 21 or I would have been screwed indeed!] After getting faulted another 4 times consecutively I lost it and told the service judge to f- off and got a warning. I then served underarm for the rest of the set and we somehow pulled through. I then felt awful, apologised and asked how I was faulting, it was a matter of interpretation of 'one movement' was the issue. Which wasn't even hard to rectify, I did things his way for the rest of the match, I made no more foul serves, and I missed no serves either!

I think it is important to aspire to be a good example. I really admire the likes of Gade and especially my badminton hero Lee Chong Wei. Nobody tries harder or is more unforgiving of his own failings and defeats. The guy is truly hard on himself, but a gentleman on court to his opponent and umpires. That is true class - to care so passionately about the game and still act courteously in defeat. I aspire to be like that but I lack the class: you see I know how much it hurts and how little the niceties matter when you lose or play poorly: you feel like you've utterly failed - if only for 5 minutes. Generally people are either like me - passionate but angry - or they don't care so deeply and either treat it as a job or it isn't that important to them. Having a fiery nature like Nathan is fine - if that's the way God made you, it's then the challenge to find the grace not to lash out. [btw really enjoyed what I saw of the AE, I only got to see 1 match - Lee CW vs Chen Yu because my work was pressing, but I don't regret it for all that because I saw - for all the lack of confidence in himself in LCW [maybe we should make him an honorary English guy!] and for all that I didn't like seeing anyone leave a tournament as visibly broken as that, still I don't feel let down. In parts the play was superb from both, and I respected the way he conducted himself immensely. Hopefully I can learn from that. Even though I came to watch that game specifically, having looked forward to the All England all year, having moved heaven and eath to beg/borrow/steal enough money to see it and in particular LCW kick some arse!!!! and he lost and shouldn't have, he didn't let himself down play wise .............

19. line judge

line judge New Member

You guys can always find excuses, I don't care. Just want to remind: Nathan has lost both the personality and the MATCH, such a loser!:crying:

20. laura9876543

laura9876543 Regular Member

i watched the match last night, the camera didn't exactly show whether NR said anything or not but he did not look that angry, there were other parts of the match where he looked a lot more pissed off. I find it hard to believe anything you are saying, also if it was that loud why hasn't any other line judges from that match came forward to back you up?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.