A Year Later: Let's vote on the New/Old Scoring System again.

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by kwun, Jan 12, 2007.

?

New or Old Scoring System?

1. Old - Service based 3x15 scoring system

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. New - Rally based 3x21 scoring system

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. wedgewenis

wedgewenis Regular Member

Exactly.... you might see 3-7 minutes of badminton coverage in Canada during an entire 2 week Olympic Coverage period ... thats with mabye 13 or more hours a day of coverage. Even with Canadians participating ... even if they make it to a semi final you will only see a few clips of thier match.

in The US you might see 10-20 mins of covering the finals in the same two week period with about 6-8 hours a day of coverage

When the next Olympics rolls around there will be No Change in this.

2. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    my my, it is a close race indeed. i wonder which SS will turn out on top after the poll ended.

3. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    I dislike the NSS, especially in doubles. There's hardly any difference between a doubles game and a singles game now, with the OSS a doubles game was nicer to play. NSS-only 1 server in doubles, for me it sorts of.. well, makes the game less exciting.

And as a few people have said, there's no more suspense when it's 20-15. Spectators already assume that the 20 will win, because all they need to do is wait for one mistake. Even a serving error! I've seen many players lose the game just because they serve into the net. It's practically nerve wrecking when the whole game hangs on 1 service.

Oh well, maybe it's just time for me to change my 'old' way of thinking. :rolleyes:

#103 Joanne, Jan 21, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
  4. chikkubhai

chikkubhai Regular Member

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    looking at the poll over several periods, it seem NSS had gain more percentage over time, closing in 50% with OSS.

6. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Recreational players could/should continue with the OSS

Hi chikkubhai,

The comments made by many BC members in your thread were probably made too early after the NSS was introduced.

Since then, there have been many, many matches played...... lasting for over 60 minutes, when players have to play into their 3rd game.

We should not allow our professional players to play hard for too long in their matches...... especially, now that there are more Super Series Matches organised for them.

Yes, we want them to entertain us...... but we should not ask them to overwork too much, in order to entertain us.

Please do not allow our professional players to sustain more injuries through playing the some suggested 5x15 points.

Perhaps, many of the earlier comments made, were referring to their own lower standards of (recreational) play, where a match could be finished very quickly.

I have said many times, the NSS is formatted for our professional players.

The many recreational players (commenting @Badminton Central) need not have to play the NSS.

They could/should continue with the OSS in their own enjoyment of Badminton.

Cheers... chris@ccc

#106 chris-ccc, Jan 23, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2007
  7. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Played with the 21 point system just the other day and being the first of such, I found it rather awkward. Didn't quite know who to serve and which side, but thanks to the baddy kaki we eventually got it. Barely. Nice lads - knowing us, they would play 15 with me and my partner, and 21 amongst themselves.

Maybe I'm just not used to it, but I still prefer the old 15 pt system due to the idea that it gives a little more emphasis on endurance and more importantly (to me at least) a more dramatic twist to the game, should the players be similarly matched.

I don't know - the 21 pt seems to almost always lead to an anti-climax but it's just me.

8. jcr2001

jcr2001 Regular Member

Student
    Then what about a 5x21 scoring system? Wouldn't it look so amazing when someone's 2-0 down and suddenly wins the match 3-2? Compared to losing the first game then winning the other two 2-1...

The match would last a max of about 2 hours.

9. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Playing the NSS in a club scenario

Hi wilfredlgf,

I don't know whether you are playing in a club session or in a private (amongst friends) session.

At our CCC Badminton Club, our players are starting to enjoy the NSS after they have become used to it.

And many of them are telling me that they rather play 15 games of the NSS within our 3-hour Club Session, compared to playing 7 games of the OSS.

Their total time spent playing is still the same, it is just that each game is shorter but they play more games.

However, their breaks between games are shorter as well. So, their bodies are not completely cooled down when they get on court for their next game. And this, we have found it to be very good and it is much appreciated by many of our club members.

It is terrible that whenever we get on court to play, we need 5 minutes to warm up again before we start a new game.

Now we just get on the court to play without the need to warm up, and for those who have just finished their games, they know that before long they will be called to get on the court again.

Cheers... chris@ccc

10. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

A 2-hour Match for Badminton is just too much

Hi jcr2001,

Yeah, for a slower racket game like Tennis, even a 3-hour plus match is not too punishing.

But for a faster racket game like Badminton, a 2-hour match is just too much.

Cheers... chris@ccc

11. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    I really like your logic/rationale on this, chris. I'd never thought about the NSS that way before.

12. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    I do like the NSS for the fact that it's shorter and more people get to play more games. I do admit the OSS can actually drag, leaving less chance to play for everybody.

I don't know - I'll come back here in another month or so and see if anything changes. As far as I know my partner and I actually had to force ourselves to play with the OSS.

We're basically mentally trained from years of playing to prepare for a long battle rather than a quicker and shorter one.

We thrashed those guys (a long break from baddy is good for your game!) so I guess it was an anti-climax to me I suppose. :D

13. jcr2001

jcr2001 Regular Member

Student
    Hehe, I agree! One week I had stomach flu, the other week I had some knee problems, and when I played, it was great! :D

14. markhamplayer

markhamplayer Regular Member

As a player, I vote for the old system.
    Times after times, even though I was down to 1/14 for example, I could get back & won the games. It happened so many times before.
    Under the NSS, you don't even have a slightest chance of getting the game back if you are under 15 to 20, 18 may be but not with 15.
    The game is different too. I'm still getting use to it. Too bad.

15. jcr2001

jcr2001 Regular Member

Student
    Hmm, what about everything new scoring system but when you reach 20 points, you must have service before you can win (aka old scoring system)?
    I think someone else suggested that earlier, can't remember...

Actually I don't find the game any different when the scoring system changed. If you are 1-14 and manage to win 17-14 in the end, isn't that almost equivalent to losing the first game and winning the next two in succession to seal the match?

16. boodyboy

boodyboy Regular Member

sports addict
    i voted old scoring because i prefer to watch and play the old system.

however i play singles using the new system cause i dont have the stamina when playing with my friends :p. that way i have a chance of beating him ;)

17. Felicia_txh

Felicia_txh Regular Member

Student
    the old system is better!!;)

18. apache7175

apache7175 Regular Member

Actually, I enjoyed playing the old system and the new one as well. The old system lets you have time to recover when you are lagging behind. It's useful when your opponent is not that strong. The new system lets you pile on the pressure against better opponents as the points will start racking up mistakes happen.

19. wantedman

wantedman Regular Member

im undecided. where i play everyone uses the OSS, so i dont know how it is to play with the NSS. hopefully ill get to try it out soon! =)

20. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

The NSS is formatted for the Professional or National Badminton players

Hi wantedman,

Same here in Australia, where almost everyone playing badminton recreationally are still using the OSS.

As I have posted before...... the NSS is formatted for the Professional or National Badminton players. And the recreational players do not have/need to use it.

Try it out soon anyway. :):):) Then you will get to know how/what the Professional players are subjected to.

Cheers... chris@ccc