Adidas Badminton racquets 2018

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Ditbayki, Apr 22, 2018.

1. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    I'm sorry for your loss. I am surprised though as I thought the A5 was a very strong frame. Perhaps 27 is just too much for any racquet once broken.

Damn, son. I was thinking "If my A5 wasnt my absolute favourite racquet right now I'd sort you out". Then I see this update that you really liked it, I think it's only fair that I offer you the A3 demo I got, check your DMs!

speCulatius and s_mair like this.
  2. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

Any news? I have to decide for a racket without trying it, it's probably gonna be a P8, but I'm not sure whether it should be 3U or 4U, so any opinion is appreciated! If you can measure the headweight, it would be helpful as well (can be with or without string, I just want to know, your grip shouldn't make a huge difference).
    It's been a long time.... Any review? Comparison? Comparison between the P8 and an ZF II? Anything would be great!

3. Super85

Super85 Regular Member

I bought the P8 as a toy...a new racket for fun, I knew I would’nt use it in competitions...but I’m not so shure about that anymore. I starting to really like this racket, and I coming from useing headlight rackets like Adipower duoforce and Nanoray 900 as a frontcourt doublesplayer. I’ve been use it alot in training because it’s heavier than my other rackets, for to strengthen up my handwrist and for a quicker and stronger technique. And after some time with the P8 is the conclusion that it’s a friendly extreme racket, which means it has the headheavyness massive power for the big strong hitters, but also the maneuverability and the solid good feel for the control and defensive play like myself. I’m between a grade A to Elite doublesplayer, but also playing singles for stamina and fun...so I think the P8 will be with me in some singlesmatches ahead this season.

I’ve probably tested more than 100 different rackets so I know well that my personal references with stiff headheavy rackets suits me better in 4U than 3U...more friendlier, but I can’t speak for yours you have to test that for yourself.

What is your own personal experience with HH very stiff 3U or 4U rackets?

The best comparsion I can give you is that you should try to test a ZFII before, that’s a popular racket close to P8 you should be able to test from somebody near you, then you have the best ability to make your choice between 3U or 4U

When I measure the balacepoint on my racket with strings, without basegrip, with overgrip and electrictape as basegrip, with build-up end on handle and with a sweaty towelgrip will give you 278mm, so that will not help you, racketspecs is so much more than just numbers.

speCulatius likes this.
  4. Rimano

Rimano Regular Member

Another update. Abused another ebay discount deal and 2 A5 are on its way as well as a reel of P68. (damn you dinkalot).

Tried playing a session with the 7000B but went back to the A5 halfway in. Surprisingly the power output is about the same, but I feel the A5 offers more speed. The extra speed means it's easier to extract power in more situations, but I'm wondering if I need to put multiple sessions in with the 7000B to make it shine again.

Reiterating points other people have made. This does remind me of my old JS10 (3U). Hits surprising hard for its balance/weight, what made me give up the JS10 was the mishits. For whatever reason the A5 racket seems to respond well to mishits, no massive vibration or massive drop in power.

Feel seems to be lacking when serving. Although oddly feels completely fine during play. The serve feeling might be explained by the drop to 4U, but during play it might be compensated by the stiffer racket.

If you haven't guessed already, this will is now my mains. These are amazing value for money even before the discounts. All that's left to see how this racket responds in a high pressure match or when I'm having a off day.

Sent from my MI 8 using Tapatalk

Khamenman likes this.
  5. Khamenman

Khamenman Regular Member

My local shop just lent me A5 to be tested. My next session will be tomorrow evening, can't wait to see how does it feel :rolleyes::rolleyes:

6. Khamenman

Khamenman Regular Member

My 1st session was last Wednesday and I didn't like it at all, everything seemed wrong. I thought I would give it 1 more chance, so today I tested it for more or less 2 hours. It feels so different than the previous playtest :confused:
    I like it so much better during today session! I get some power, although not like head-heavy racket, which is fine for me as I am looking for a HH racket. Speed is average, fast enough, but not as fast as my JS12 or NF800, but what I like is the feeling during the contact with the shuttle. It feels solid, not too much vibration, but at the same time also does not feel numb like most Yonex/ArcSaber series. So basically it does not have anything special, just a very nice allround racket, which is exactly what I am looking for.

After that, I went back to my local shop and bought the racket :D:D

7. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    On the strength of the Kalkul series I took a punt on a Spieler racquet with the aim of using this as a stringing demo/potential sales to kids needing a cheap starter racquet (usual budget £30). Ended up going for the slightly dearer one at £38 ish. Review to follow in a couple of weeks, probably comparing it to the A2 as the £25 model didn't inspire me to try it.

8. speCulatius

I just received the new 2020 Adidas Badminton catalogue and wanted to share it with you. I didn't get the chance to really look at it yet, but they finally have more information/marketing and a nice touch is putting the racket matrix on a court.
    PSX_20191018_120113.jpg

#148 speCulatius, Oct 18, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    It'sMeMeMe, endFX, Khamenman and 2 others like this.
  9. endFX

endFX Regular Member

Badminton tryhard
    I got my hands on a factory strung Kalkül A5.

As you can see there are only 22 crosses. No weird high top cross.
    They also updated the stringing instructions.

One word about the job quality. It is absolutely garbage.
    It felt like 7kg at Max and made a dead dull sound.
    The string itself had no name on it. I was hoping for A68 but it felt like some random thick and cheap string.
    The ink was really thick. Some crosses and mains were "glued" together and the inked string barely made it thru the single grommets.
    Also check out the knot:
    I can't understand why a 100€+ Racket comes with such a string. Please sell them unstrung!

However first impression of the Racket was really good and restringing went well without any problems.

10. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Sounds like the same string as the entry level spieler racquets. I've cut the string on all but one that i ordered, rubbish!
    I thought id read that the premium racquets like the kalkul wouldn't be factory strung. Get it re-done and enjoy!

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

11. Rimano

Rimano Regular Member

Must be strung at the warehouse or some central source, since the eBay place I got isn't a dedicated racket place shop.

I think I could read the string from one of them. An extemely faded label 'power balance' something , which is from their previous Adidas range.

Sent from my MI 8 using Tapatalk

12. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Adidas Spieler 09.1 Review (tested A and W models)
    INITIAL impressions: I got the Spieler E Aktiv first, uninspiring, feels and looks cheap. I returned it as I was after a 4U racquet and this one was only available in 3U. On the 09.1 there is sparkly paint and less basic frame shape which made it seem worth the extra £10 or so. We can also see frame features usual for high-end racquets: Hex T joint as per the flagship Kalkul, and a thin 6.8mm shaft.
    The frame rated to 28lb, it took 28 no problem. I also tried 30lb and saw the frame deform slightly, but it hasn’t broken.

FRAME: Aerodynamic frame on a 4U makes these very fast to manoeuvre
    GRIP and STRING: The grip is average, but fitted badly with gaps/overlaps so I had to reapply it. I usually change these anyway. The string appears to be a budget option – smooth and probably durable, not strung to a particularly high standard. This is common in a budget racquet. I use much higher than factory tension so I restrung before testing.
    SHAFT: VERY flexible, not at all medium.

PLAYABILITY
    POWER is VERY easy due to the flex. I expected it to really affect my accuracy but it didn’t. At least not as much as expected. I needed to relax my swing as my timing was off coming from a stiff racquet. I strung one 2lb higher to compensate, I didn’t see the usual loss of power from stringing “too high” tension.
    Smashes were a lot of fun. On the 30lb racquet I was hitting winners at a lot less effort than my stiffer racquets – allowed me to put more thought and effort into footwork. Also the sound was most pleasant due to higher tension.
    DEFENCE is incredible due to speed. I still managed to dig out a decent net shot when the shuttle had passed me, usually I have insufficient power to do this on stiffer racquets. The flex helping again here.
    CONTROL at the net was very good, main factor here is string tension anyway. The soft shaft gives a nice hold feeling – makes control easy on light shots, and the extra pop from the flex stopped some of my delicate shots dropping short.

Would I recommend this racquet? Yes absolutely. I need to test whether it can handle 30lb repeatedly to see if it’s suitable for stronger club players who are currently using 26-28lb, but definitely for beginners, the light weight and easy power are perfect.

speCulatius and s_mair like this.
  13. Khamenman

Khamenman Regular Member

Similar to Super85 story, I bought Kalkul A5 just as a toy, to try Adidas badminton racket. To my surprise, now I like it better than my NF800 and my N9ii. It is competing with my JS12 now as my main racket

Super85 likes this.
  14. speCulatius

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the weird names of the x and y axis. I realized that after posting it here and asked Adidas about it. The reply that I got was interesting, mentioning that the interpretation of the Asian (marketing) people can be a little weird to Europeans like me. The more I think about it, the less sense those scales seem to make. If anybody can explain it, please enlighten me.

At the same time, I also received a different matrix that makes more sense to me.

PSX_20191106_103603.jpg

As I was told, the A5 should sit slightly more upwards.

I'm slightly surprised by the rather large difference between the P8 and P7, from the specs, I expected them to be closer together. At the same time, the F3 is supposed to be that close to the P8? The shafts have the same diameter and stiffness wise they're that close with 30T instead of 46T? I have tried neither, but I do have my doubts. Also, I'm surprised how far up the F2 is placed. I wouldn't see it far above the P2, but I cannot compare it directly at the moment. At the same time, I'd say the A3 should be placed below the P2 (still right of it).
    Overall, this matrix still makes a lot more sense to me and I hope it helps some of you.

llrr, pughon and s_mair like this.
  15. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

If Adidas managed to make a matrix that is consistent and accurate would be a first in the idustry I think. I mean, how should they be accurate when you don't even have values at the scales? It's okay to get some sort of orientation (good to see that they have arrived at the standard balance/stiffness scales!), but that's it. And besides, it's a marketing toy. So if they want to present the P8 as some sort of ZF2 rival, it makes sense to make it stand out that much. But from specs and reviews so far, I would have never expected to be the F3 being closest to it.

Looking at the A5, it makes sense that this one seems to become a star in the line-up. It's sort of their interpretation of the Arc11 if you ask me, and if they've done that one well, it's no surprise that it's a good base for many players.

speCulatius likes this.
  16. Khamenman

Khamenman Regular Member

I agree, I also didnt expect the A5 would be that good. In my badminton bag, I would rank A5 higher than N9ii now :p

17. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Same here! Except N9ii is deranked into someone else's bag.
    I reckon 5mm bp and 3g overall weight increase and the A5 would be a real winner. Its great, but probably too light/even for most.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

18. llrr

llrr Regular Member

I like the look of the P8. How is it vs stiff, head heavy stuff from other brands?

19. speCulatius

Please look at this thread, if you're interested in my opinion on it. I will keep it updated and as you can read from it, I never held it in my hands until now. Specs look promising for my preferences. Look wise, I'd prefer the P7 though. That color reminds me of mouthwash and with pink BG80 on it, no opponent will be able to focus on the match anymore. :confused: Judging from the pictures, the P8 is a little boring (looking) to me, but that's very subjective and probably the least important aspect of a racket... and maybe it gives more string colors to play around with.

I hope to receive my rackets within this coming week.

71juN1sIF-L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    PSX_20191117_235025.jpg
    PSX_20191117_235244.jpg

#159 speCulatius, Nov 17, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  20. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Hey, Victor did really well with painting the original JS10 in the colors of Odol, so what should go wrong with the Listerine P7?
    [​IMG]