AE 2nd Round Match Review

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2011' started by jamesd20, Mar 14, 2011.

1. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Hi, Didn't see so many matches at the AE this year due to work & family commitments (More later) but her goes day 2 on the main draw. I only got there from 17.00 onwards for the evening session:mad: Please don't take any offence, it is just my opinion!

MS
    Boonsak Vs LHI

LHI is a shadow of his former self, he isn't as quick on the counter attack, and when you are a defensive player as he is without the counter attack he can't win point except for errors or running the player out of a rally. He did quite well, but boonsak was on pretty good form and managed to take the first game, the second being a bit of a no contest as LHI seemed not to be able to force mistakes as in the first game.

Kazushi Yamada vs Zhengming Wang

If WZM is the future king of badminton then I might start to train harder....well he isn't that bad but he needs to sort his game out if he is going to win tournaments & be the top CHN player. He doesn't seem to know what he is. He tries to play the net like Hendrawan but isn't as skillfull, tries to attack like ZJH, but can't follow up his attack and he has a bad habit of hitting his smash follow ups (After a block defence) cross court. It was frustratingto watch, he would hit a winner, miss the next few points. then hit a couple of winners. To succeed at the top in MS I think you need to be strong in defence, have good rallying abilities, combined with a decent attack.He has a great attack, but his rallying ability and defence isn't great. Yamada IMO didn't really do anything, he hit just try to rally and won points from errors.

Zweibler Vs CJ

CJ always frustated me as he has no strengths, (i have said before so sorry if you have rear before) he has difficulty to put the shuttle on the floor and doesn't have any answers apart from rallying and some not very good deceptive shots and he has only one pace (try play as fast as you can, flat clears, flat pushes off the net, drives. I find it quite boring to watch. That said he had the 2nd game one, Zweibler was reduced to trying some outrageous decpetive shots, he got back in the game & CJ had no answers.

LD Vs Rumbaka

Last year I thought Rumbaka had great potential, good skill, decent movement but lacked confidence to finish the rallies & seemed to lack power in his legs to dominate rallies. This year he is the same, admittedly he is playing LD not BCL as in 2010 but he didn't look to have improved much, in fact his movement seemd to be worse as he had a habit of when he is in control to not bother with the split step and just wait until the opponent has hit it then split step & move. This led him to losing control of some rallies and not converting his chances.

WS
    Only saw bits of Gu Juan vs Bae Youn Joo and I was surprised to see that the korean tired before Gu.

Saina Vs Tai Tzu ying was on last but is wasn't a great match. I gave Saina the benefit of the doubt as they are both shot makers and that contributed to the high number of errors, but Saina didn't seem on form as I have seen her in the past. Se seemed to not to be able to rally and work a point and was more trying to win points by hard smashing from the start. Her drops (which I tihnk her best strength) weren't thatpenetrative. When I looked at the draw I thought she had a good chance to win.

MD
    No intresting matches I saw

WD
    The Match of Roepke/Kruse vs Gutta/ponnappa was of note purely for the fact that the indians should have won, they looked better than the DEN pair, who looked pretty ordinary until Ponnappa/Gutta made silly errors to let them back in.

XD
    Only match of real interest was the all CHN match where HHB/YY lost to ZN/ZYL. HHB still plays the way he did a few years ago. He is not strong enough to finish rallies & notgood enough in defence/skill to make up for that. His exuberance got him good results to begin with but with so many strong XD players in CHN team I can't see him doing much winning.