All About Djarum Indonesia Open Super Series Premier 2011(Photos,News,etc)

Discussion in 'Thailand / Singapore / Indonesia Open 2011' started by miksss, Jun 1, 2011.

1. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    Something's not right with All England still offering US$350k in total prize money considering its status...

2. badMania

badMania Regular Member

While All-England still retains its prestige as one of the Major tourney, unfortunately no sponsor is enthusiastic enough to offer a larger prize money.

Meanwhile, the one which offer the largest prize money (Korea SSP) is basically a white-elephant, with the event being held in a grand stadium but the sponsors didn't even bother to promote the event and eventually the crowd stayed away :( The contrast with the Indonesia SSP is so obvious!

I think BWF must make the tournament sponsors realize that they need to make badminton interesting and not just hold an event for the sake of holding it, without any promotions or innovations to attract the crowds.

#242 badMania, Jun 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  3. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Next year, all Premier will haveUS $ 400 K..in my opinion ,Premier should have at least US$ 500 k minimum.

4. MelvIndonesia

MelvIndonesia Regular Member

Student
    Malaysia Open with Super Series status (not Premiere) have US$400K prize money..
    Agree,Premiere should have at least 500k

5. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    I have been told that next year,Korea open will go back to old venue...

6. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    In emulating the success of one tournament to another, it is important not the forget one important element: locality. A lot of buzz is created by the locals. It's no use having all those stalls and side-events when the turnout is going to be abysmal; in fact, it's only going to make it sadder. There aren't that many countries where badminton is a big crowd-puller, and for those that are, none are close to Indonesia in terms of the crazy fans that they have.

7. rosid

rosid Regular Member

Student
    I can't say anything, except this year INA Open PSS is special.

8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

All good! *jgn ngamuk2 trus, di tontonin se kampoeng*:p
    I thought you would be busy with all the parties??..;)
    Actually, imo, you and Krisna should've just explained in a couple of posts; and then check out. Anyway, hopefully with the explanations, this complaint about the scheduling won't be brought up again in a different tourney in the future.

Btw, speaking of village, i missed the banana pancake dish at that "Village Idiot" restaurant in West L.A.....see you back here for the U.S. Open?..
    ..what's the reason(s)??..

Btw, that $650,000 prize money for next yr's INA Open PSS is surely going to lit up a lot of the players' eyes..$47,000 prize money for the doubles events winners, in this yr's INA Open PSS, is not too shabby for a few days work..

#248 ctjcad, Jun 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  9. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    Yes, one of the major [unwritten] intention of Djarum for improving the prize money to $600,000 in 2011 is so that Indonesian parents will start to open their eyes and consider supporting their talented kid to become a badminton player...

Indonesia is a democracy, unlike China. The politicians in power would rather spend Rp 200+ trillion on fuel subsidies and other subsidies to keep themselves from being unpopular [thus preventing 'em from being punished on elections], rather than fund sports. The state cannot promise life-long guarantee of prosperity for successful sportsmen/women... We don't even know which political party will be in power after the next elections. So, it is up to the private sector to support the country's only world-class Olympic sport [badminton]... Without enough promise of $$$$$, fewer and fewer Indonesian parents will want their kids to become badminton athletes.

10. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..how long, into the future, do you think Djarum is capable of continuously be able to sponsor $600,000+ prize money INA Open PSS?..
    My guess the total cost to run the entire INA Open PSS event is around $1 mil (incl. the prize money)??..

11. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    Chris, did you crop those pcitures?

12. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

no cropping, editing etc. whatsoever..

13. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

everytime i read this, and then synchronised swimming, greco-roman wrestling are still there just got me going.

14. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

for cry out load, you can put all the world's sychronised swimmers in one pool and it will still not be crowded!

15. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

just for your information, badminton is one of the few sports that all tickets been sold out in the first round of tickets allocation for next year's olypmics, even though GB has close to zero chance for a metal. tell me that badminton is not popular

16. dwinski

dwinski Regular Member

Engineer
    I would say this tournament is almost perfect for me except the fact that getting the tickets (3-day june 24-26 offer) which I bought on-line was a big big problem having to fall in line every day. Why they didn't give it at once, I paid in advanced so I deserve to get it also in advance right? Another thing, there were so many scalpels (people buying tickets and selling them at a higher price). This is a same case here in the Philippines whenever there are big tournaments but we managed to correct this by writing permanently a specific name and other vital information on the ticket once it is sold. Once this is presented at the entrance, the bearer must present a vital ID that matches what was written in the ticket. This way the scalpels were not able to buy tickets in advance and sell it later.

17. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    I agree...can't believe other sport replacing badminton....

18. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    2012: $650,000
    2013: $700,000
    2014: $???,??? [BWF intend to not allow any brand associated with cigarettes to sponsor BWF events, so INA got to look for other alternatives]

Maybe Bank Mandiri, BCA, BRI, Telkomsel, Coca Cola, Gatorade, blabla want to take over in 2014... :)

19. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    no corporation can be like Djarum.. cos they 'love' badminton ,not only sponsoring it

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I always wondered about this but refrained from bringing up the subject.;)

It would be easier to get new sponsors if the popularity of the tournament is kept high in the coming years. Keep those famous Indonesian (and good looking) personalities visiting the tournament and things will go well!!