All England 2006 Day 2 (Thursday, 19 Jan)

Discussion in 'All England 2006' started by hcyong, Jan 18, 2006.

1. madbad

madbad Regular Member

The last 2 matches
    KJ 8-3 Sairul
    TPE girls 15-12, 15-10 MAS girls - another upset

2. thiery

thiery Regular Member

CNY is still a week away. Why go home so early? I'm from M'sia and can't even go back for CNY as I'm in London now. Studying! No CNY this year. The most I can do is wondering around chinatown.

I really hope to go to AE this Saturday to watch the semifinal if only if m'sians players are still in the competition.

3. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

Something happened to the Malay pairs that have been out of the spotlight recently? Choong/Chew was demolished by Tony/Howard in last years WC; Tazari/Lin was manipulated by Candar/Sigit like amateurs (not sure if it's Tazari/Lin, but definitely a young Malya pair) around the same time, but now they can beat Cai/Fu easily...

On the other hand, the much-hyped Koo does not seem to go anywhere, either in MD or XD...

What happened? :confused:

4. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

Well I don't think this one is an upset... The TPE girls are pretty good. In WC they almost took one set from Yang/Zhang.

5. Baderz_Jas

Baderz_Jas Regular Member

Student, business man wannabe =P
    just curios, wat's CNY???

6. tutu_h

tutu_h Regular Member

at least you can go to chinatown. i am in germany with no chinatown is even worst. i miss dried meat, mandarin(teow chiew one), .......ANG POW!!!!

7. Baderz_Jas

have to go to bed now
    im just too tired c u guys

Baderz_Jas:)

8. tutu_h

tutu_h Regular Member

Chinese New Year

9. Baderz_Jas

oh yeah
    thanks c u
    Baderz_Jas

10. tutu_h

tutu_h Regular Member

1st. malaysia is always weak in any game to do with women. so XD is certainly out.

2nd. Koo retired from the MD coz of injury (CCM if i'm not mistaken). i think the Swiss open has shown that they r still in good form.

11. rwchen

rwchen Regular Member

I personally think that China and Malaysia stand equal chance to win the Thomas Cup judging at their performance in AE so far. Malaysia shows their depth in MD with 3 pairs in the quarter finals and Lee CW in the MS. It's the opposite for China, three in MS while one in MD. Let see what will happen in the next round.

12. tutu_h

tutu_h Regular Member

If Indonesia meet China in the semi, then malaysia stand higher chances to get the cup.

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    anybody noticed that Malaysians tend to do better in the AE than other tournaments?

14. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Choong Tan Fok/Lee wan Wah Boleh

You can't compare Choong Tan Fok/Lee Wan Wah to Choong Tan Fok/Chew Chun Eng comb, Choong/Lee is much stronger and has better understanding of one another. Further more Sigit/Chandra of 2006 is not the same as the ones in 1997 when they won their first World Championship. I think if Choong/Lee can remain healthy(very hard for veteran team) then they have good chance to win any Open.
    How Tazari/Lin could beat Fu/Cai remain a mystery, I like to give Rexy credit but I think Fu/Cai most probably beat themself with tons of errors?
    3 Malaysian doubles in QF sounds very impressive but don't be fool by the quantity, winning the title is what really count.
    Malaysia Boleh!!!

15. rwchen

rwchen Regular Member

I thought Lu Lan should be able to do better than losing in straights games to Pi, perhaps she was too tired after a tight match against Hwang HY in the first round.

16. rwchen

rwchen Regular Member

Not in the mid 90s I think. Perhaps, the chief coach of Malaysia, Yap Kim Hock took AE seriously. Malaysia performs better in recent years since Yap Kim Hock takes over as the chief coach. Having three pairs of MD in a highly competative field is an achievement expecially with the up and rising young pairs. Yap Kim Hock's efforts is commendable!

17. kokcheng

kokcheng Regular Member

Agree with you.Ykh is a proactive guy.He has brought in LI mao and Rexy.Now you see some positive results from the young pairs like Gan teik Chai/zakry and LIn/Tazaari.As for the evergreen pair of CTK/LWW, they are just awesome.The one week earlier arrival of the Malaysian team to England seems to be beneficial.Kudos to Yap,may he always come out withnew strategies to put Malaysia back to the top.:)

18. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Let Li Mao coach Hafiz and Kwun Beng Hong

Unfortunately those under Misbun still perform pretty poor like Hafiz and Kwun Beng Hong, ... It may not be a bad idea to make these two players train under Li Mao as I think with a minor twick, they can become another Lee Chong Wei????
    I think Hafiz is too young to play the style he's playing, very passive and way too many fancy shots ended up fooling of himself instead of his opponents. I recall Lee Chong Wei use to play that way too when he was under Misbun and now he's much aggressive using his speed and power instead of one dimensional drop and stroke rally.
    Yap Kim Hock is very capable of coaching MD and yet hired Rexy to coach instead because he's open minded and now Yap should do the same thing about Hafiz and Kwan Beng Hong, let them train under different program/coach(Li Mao) and see how it goes. ( I admit I am bias to coach Li Mao and it's hard not to when you see his students achievement)
    Just my opinion and hope Yap is listening :D

19. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Yeah, after the top 4 WD pairs (3 CHN, 1 KOR), the 5th to 20th ranks from CHN, ENG, MAS, INA, THA, JPN, SIN, TPE, HOL, DEN and KOR are about the same standard. Form & fitness of the day determines results when they meet each other.

Hmm, in the 80s and 90s, we had 4 ruling MD pairs too .... Now MD is open game, anyone (even USA) can win.

20. yingcheng

yingcheng Regular Member

OMG?! wot happen to Cai/Fu?:crying: