ALL ENGLAND 2008: Day 4-Quarter Final (7 March 2008)

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2008' started by chemile, Mar 6, 2008.

1. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Safe flight back

2. madbad

madbad Regular Member

See photos 553-557

3. Tommy Susanto

Tommy Susanto Regular Member

You always have a thing or two with LWW/CTF:D How about Eriksen/Lunggard:pNeed your expert inputs here;)

4. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Off topic-So..

..if you don't have internet connection @ home, where do you usually surf BC, Leen??..are you surfing BC at your work place or somewhere else??..:confused:

5. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I have a "thing" about players I tihnk are overated who haven't won any Big competition but people think should win. For expert opinion don't see me!

About Eriksen/Luundgard I think they were underated for almost all their career, no they didn't win a WC/OG but they did win AE and were Always in the mix and were No. 1 Ranked even recently. What can you expect from two over 35 year old players at the top level?

I actually want CTF/LWW to win. I tihnk they are a fantastic pair, they are very powerful both in defence and attack and look impregnable at times, but do I THINK they will win? No, because they always fall even with Championship points!

#1845 jamesd20, Mar 7, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2008
  6. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    My evening at the AE :D

Hi guys - thought since i was there all night i'd best give a brief summary of what i saw..;

when i got in, after meeting with raph from badzine (secret website improvements stuff) i saw JR/LP just lose the first game against the JPN pair.. was a little disappointed - but they took control second - with some incredible returns by both JR and LP while they were at the net, and some thundering smashes from both.. sadly when the third game came along seems to just fall apart, mistake after mistake after mistake..

afte that it was LD vs KJ - you've seen the scoreline - and it says everything about the game - KJ was out of his depth.. an absolute breeze for LD..

then it was the home crowd favourites robertson and emms vs the scots blair & bankier... the first game was one way traffic.. robertson brimming over with confidence.. blair looking generally miserable that he couldn't even get close..
    the 2nd game was a bit more interesting.. blair and bankier were up 11-6 at the interval - but NR/GE pilled on 7 straight point to go 12-11 up and shortly ran out 21-17 winners..

main event for the night was next Taufik vs LCW.. the crowd roared.. i ended up with my headphones in to drown out the cheering from the Malaysians and Indonesians in the crowd... The story of the first game was that taufik seemed to be edgiing away - but every time he got a lead up he'd let it slip - you could see the change of pace as soon as LCW caught up.. but in the end it caught him out with LCW putting in a timely burst to take the first set from right under Taufik's nose..
    I don't think taufik ever recovered, LCW kept him a couple of points away the entire match, even with some incredible rallys from taufik - you could tell when he was going for a point.. the intensity was incredible.. but both players were well matched.. taufiks retreivals on the backhand, countered with LCW incredibly deceptive smash.. i'm certain taufik was never entirely sure which way it was going... a well deserved win for LCW

at the same time CTF/LWW were on the next court.. tearing apart Luluk/Alvent the first game was over incredibly fast.. a simple case of better defense and better attack from the malaysians.. the Indo's just couldn't get it on the floor, and as soon as the malaysians had the attack they were pretty much winning the point..

hmmm - i couldn't see much of the games on court 3 - i know tine beat pi, and bao thrashed persson (no surprise there), i guess then Chen Jin beat off Sony - the first game didn't look that tight - the 2nd a bit tighter..

next on the tv court was another home team.. Anthony Clark and Donna Kellog vs Xie Zhongbo and Zhang Jawen?(i think...) Clarkey and Donna came out like a train.. and XZ looked completely demoralised..
    but the 2nd game was a complete reversal.. when they came out for the third it was pretty much anybody's and i think all that turned it was some tight calls that riled anthony a bit.. at the end of the day you gotta deal with them.. oh - that and donna scuffed her knee and the ref said she needed a bandage, which once on was immediately removed by donna because it was rubbing... a nice 5 minute breather for all the players.. :s

i could just see the korean's going on against another japanese pair at this moment - everbody's was gasping at Lee Yong Dae's jumpsmashes.. they were incredible - you could hear it at the other end of the hall.. and he's physically huge! (well perhaps just compared to his partner) no surprise that they took theirs instraight sets..

WMC was now on against the korean girl and i seem to remember her taking the first set..

Xu Haiwen wore Yirytama into the ground, quite literally after a gruelling 3 setter.. the japanses girl was literally on her knees after all the final half dozen rally's absolutely exhausted..

i left during the first game of He/Yu vs Nova/Lilyana.. bt it looked like it was going to be a good game....

i'll be watching everything else on the planetbadminton site tomorrow - cant wait.. the mixed should be interesting.. wonder if NR/GE can manage it.. or will they just get squashed by Nova/Lilyana

7. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

Thanks for the report. Just wondering if there were more Chinese supporters or supporters for Ina and Mas. I know chanting in Chinese, but could not tell the others. Any supporters for Kor and Jpn?

8. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    yeah.. definitely supporters for everybody - a strong contingent from korea, malaysia, indonesia and china.. didn't here many japanese supporters- certainly not as vocal as the rest..

9. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

You bought the US$1.99 pass to watch ? Over in 2 sets, I thought it would drag to mouth watering 3 sets between LCW & Taufik

10. Tommy Susanto

Tommy Susanto Regular Member

:)
    Paaske/JR won a WC once so they are in par with Candra/Gunawan:DNow who's underated or overated, opinions can differ. Still in my BASIC opinion as opposed to your ADVANCED opinion, Eriksen/ Luungard don't quite deserve the recognition at least not a strong case yet:eek:
    We actually want Eriksen/Luungard to win the Beijing OG. In my once again BASIC opinion, they do have what it takes to win it all:rolleyes::cool:
    Do you agree, Mr. JamesD:)

#1850 Tommy Susanto, Mar 7, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2008
  11. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

TH almost succeeded beating LCW in the first game, then what would happen hard to tell. Because LCW's pressure at net, TH made more errors there to lose the match. LCW's defense was tight as usual.

I bought the pass because installing too many softwares is not good for my computer. I don't see the time for tomorrow's matches on tournamentsoftware.

12. eaglehelang

Yeah, Birdwood, RTM highlights showed the the last few points of each set.

In RTM intv, LCW said he felt a little bit scared when it was 20-17. Felt like he was going to lose 1st set but kept on fighting. Then when it went to 20-20, he felt more confident. (Ada rasa takut sikit bila 20-17, macam sudah mau kalah tapi saya fight terus. Bila sudah 20-20, rasa lebih confident)

Taufik said in matches there's win & lose. Yesterday LCW played better than him.

13. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

If TH won the 1st game, I bet he would give up the 2nd. But even that happens, the super-fit LCW would still have a better chance in the 3rd game. Last year TH met BCL in the 1st round of a SS, he won the 1st, gave up the 2nd (6:21), but still could not keep up with BCL in the 3rd and lost tamely (Sth like 15:21).

14. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

what??
    i juz wake up and now know that wong mew choo had lost!!>
    haizz!!!
    must be i didnt cheer for her juz now,,..l

15. george@chongwei

2day got highlight meh on rtm?
    i on my tv on 10.30 am why there is nothing related to badminton?

16. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    I watched this girl play Xing Ai Ying of Singapore at the 2006 Doha Asian Games.
    Hwang Hye Youn isn't just very pretty... she's also a very tenacious player :p

17. george@chongwei

she looks like gong rui na,,

18. eaglehelang

He he, that's why lah you dont buy/subscribe newspaper, RTM as & when they like they change. Good also I could watch after I did my voting duty.
    It was at 11.30 am, of course they showed LCW, uncles & WMC matches.

Me forget to put in what the oldies said :
    LWW : Tonight LWW will analyse tomm game with partner, about how to counter tomm's opponent. I think also something about trying their best.
    CTF : They won cos mental preparation better than opponent. And their good shots were better, less errors than opponents.

WMC match was last (for Msia), they didnt intv her.

Oh yeah, George, sorry to disturb you, can answer in the other thread about where's the search button for UUSee. I banana person, cannot read Chinese, cant find space to paste the GD Sports name.

19. george@chongwei

damn it...i waited in front of the tv untill 11.00 and then they broadcast it at 11.30am.>!!!damn it!!!

20. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

ye333, your scenario above is very possible according to his past performances. But, TH played as close as he could to match up with LCW today, it has not been this competitive for sometimes. TH was not used to play for fitness, rather his techniques. Before, his net play was the scariest of them all with his tumbling netshots. LD used to lift so often when facing TH and wasted a whole lot energy running around. Today besides netplay not going over the net, TH also got a few netkill by LCW as the latter always quick and ready for such opportunities. The second game was close enough so I wouldn't say TH couldn't win in straight if he had been able to close the first. But he was just unlucky and did not play as usual at the net possibly because of LCW. TH's fitness is more a reflection of the number of smashes he does, which is on the decline as all of them do (if LD had fewer smashes, he would have bit the dust too today against KJ).