All-England Finals

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2005' started by hcyong, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Anatolii

Anatolii Regular Member

hmm.. i thought she didn't like our crowds? too wild apparently :rolleyes:.. sounds like an eye for an eye that she wants. :rolleyes:

2. rwchen

rwchen Regular Member

RTM did not show the MS live, what a disappointment. I was quite surprised and disappointed with Lin Dan's defeat, the score indicated that he lost tamely in the rubber game . Lethargy may have affected his performance and perhaps his movement is restricted by slight injury in his strapped leg? IMO, although he is not invincible, he is the most consistent MS's player in the world and the favourite to win the WC this year.

3. Anatolii

Anatolii Regular Member

oh! so the one i watched wasn't live! well, thank goodness i didn't come online and found out the results too soon. :D i went through a healthy process of suspense :D

4. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    My post-Finals analysis and comments

Chen Hong bt Lin Dan in three
    Chen Hong played steadily throughout the match, stepping up a gear after the first game. He attacked at the right moments, when the chance for Lin to retrieve is less. If he felt he cannot attack, he played the patient game, drawing Lin to all corners of the court. Meanwhile, Lin's attacks, though quite successful in the first game, was mostly ineffective in the rest of the match. So, having no choice he also played the patient game. And in this sort of contest, he gets frustrated very easily because his nature (fast and furious attack) is stifled. (We also saw this in WCH-LD match.) I think he's a bit slower than usual, probably impeded by his knee. His kind of game requires maximum speed and against a player like Chen Hong, he needed maximum fitness. During the podium ceremony, he fiddled with his knee straps as if to announce his reason for losing.

Cai Yun/Fu Haifeng bt Lars Paake/Jonas Rasmussen
    It was the match of the Finals. Cai/Fu dominated most of the rallies. Lars/Jonas tried valiantly to fight back, and produced a spectacular match. I think Fu has the most powerful smash in badminton today. About a year ago, squash challenged badminton's record when they got John White (squash's hardest hitter and one of the top players now) to a speed record session. They managed to record a speed which they claimed was faster than badminton. (Actually, it's possible. Due to technological advancement, squash racquets are almost as light as badminton racquets, and squash players also use their wrists - even though they teach you not to. However, they hardly use the overhead smash, usually hitting the ball at about knee level, so they cannot maximise the power generated by the whole body like when badminton players do leaping smashes.) I'd like to see Fu Haifeng and even Cai Yun do a similar speed record session. I think his speed will beat John White's flat, no offense to squash players, but it's the nature of the game. Anyway, Fu/Cai are just too quick and powerful for Jonas/Lars to handle. Rasmussen's defence was strong and spectacular, but defenders usually lose.

Xie Xingfang bt Zhang Ning
    Xie is now undoubtedly the top player in the world. But although Zhang Ning looked like flailing all over the court, I think she will come back soon to overcome Xie. Zhang was obviously unfit, her stamina level definitely not enough to defeat a consistent player like Xie who plays the same kind of game like Zhang. She reminded me of Foo Kok Keong (who sucked air like fish sucked water but somehow the determination overrode every pain) except that she didn't re-tie her shoelaces every two rallies. At one point Zhang doubled over after winning a long rally (there were many long rallies). I can't help feeling that given equal stamina level, Zhang is the stronger player. In the second set, her determination was wonderful. She just gritted her pain and took everything Xie could give.

Nathan Robertson/Gail Emms bt Thomas Laybourn/Kamilla Rytter Juhl
    The atmosphere in the arena was electric. (It was also quite noisy during the MD - for the good of badminton, other countries must raise their standard to prevent all-Chinese finals.) Gail was very quick at the front of the court and her defence was also solid, while Kamilla looked clumsy at the net. In fact, Kamilla looked more confident when she was smashing from the back. But overall, the almost unknown Danes challenged the English strongly. We have yet another formidable pair thrown in the fray. Robertson/Emms looked relaxed and confident throughout the match. After the match, in an interview, Robertson said he believed they are the best pair in the world right now and that they will have to prove it week after week. I'm ok with that, but what's with his upturned collar ala Cantona. He is the second most cocky badminton player after Lin Dan, but not nearly as deserving to be cocky, I should add.

Gao Ling/Huang Sui bt Wei Yili/Zhao Tingting
    I heard Gillian say that Gao Ling is the second doubles player to win 5 back-to-back All-Englands (the first being a Dane quite a long while ago). I think this match was more or less a formality. The crowd was quiet and I went to bed before the first set was over. But from the score, I guess it was closer than I thought. The Chinese trained with the best players in the world (which is themselves), no wonder they are so good.

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    My predictions were almost 100% correct except for the surprised loss of Lin Dan to his 'good friend' and elder brother, Chen Hong.

During the semis, Lin was taped on his left leg, if I can recall. But on Finals Day, both his legs were taped. Wong Choong Hann must have done further damage to Lin in their 3-gamer encounter in the semis and the fresher and more experienced Chen Hong was able to take full advantage. Furthermore, being teammates, Chen knows the strengths and weaknesses of Lin and exploit them to the fullest and it all showed up in the rubber when Lin was sluggish and could only managed to gather only 2 points no matter how hard he tried. On the other hand, Chen was in his elements, his free flow-style and rhythm espeically during the third game which he exulted great confidence. And never under-estimate his deceptive and often lethal smash. So Chen Hong romped home a deserving winner and left poor Lin Dan a mere pedestrian at best.

In the WS, I was delighted to see glamour girl, Xie Xingfang, in such a stunning one-piece orange-red attire. Her height, youth and beauty certainly make her an excellent ambassador for badminton and tennis cannot now claim to have only the most beautiful women in their ranks! In contrast, my favourite, Zhang Ning, looked quite drab in her unexciting Yonex uniform and it didn't give her that extra inspiration to uplift her game.
    So it was all systems go for Xie who completely demolished Olympic Champion Zhang with her immaculate display, probably the best I've seen of her so far!

Yes, against popular trend, I bravely stood up for Robertson and Emms and they did not disappoint. I saw both pairs in the semis and thought the English pair had a clear advantage over the Danes, particularly Emms, who impressed with her 'height' (short that is) advantage by putting away most of the birds that went above her head at the net. Here is a good example of how to defend and attack well inspite of one's lack of height! Of course, Emms has good mobility too and I think she contributed many winners in contrast to Robertson's unusual 'lack of urgency' attitude in their championship match.

Sorry to hear that our Malaysian counterparts had problems receiving the live telecast. Although over here, Supersports provided the uninterrrupted facility, but to spend two nights well past 2 am glueing one's eyes on the telly is not altogether a pleasant task either. :D

6. Anatolii

Anatolii Regular Member

aw, that's putting it a bit harsh isn't it? i quite honestly felt (when i saw the pic posted in BF this morning) her attire was very eye-pleasant. :) compared to the cyan coloured one she wore before in this tournament, anyway - that one made her looked too skinny.

supersports? astro did broadcast it after all??! hdmgph:mad:!!

7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I was quite sad to see Zhang Ning struggling against Xie. Maybe it spells the start of the decline of an Olympic Champ and the rise of a deserving young lady who was deprived of a place in the Athens Olympics. Xie's resolve and determination is quite outstanding and I hope she can continue to train hard to become a worthy replacement for Zhang.

Mind you, when Zhang puts her heart and soul into training, she is unbeatable, despite her age. Her lack of training obviously showed in her battle with Xie and the distractions such as preparing for her marriage after the Olympics must have contributed to this. She was relatively slow (such an extreme contrast to her superb fitness during her peak) and her strokes lacked that extra bite one commonly associates with her play.

Btw, I prefer Zhang in her pink tops and black shorts, instead of the neutral T-shirt she wore yesterday. But this will still be outclassed by Xie's brilliant one-piece suit. :)

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
  9. rwchen

rwchen Regular Member

I believe that Zhang will make a strong comeback in WC. Her eyes glistened after the defeat but I still see strong determination in her, she will surely want to make up for the disappointment by claiming the top spot again in the coming tourneys. Judging from their performance, Xie and Zhang will undoubtebly be part of China's Sudirman Cup's squad in May.
    Given only two spots for the MS category in Surdirman Cup's squad for each participating counrty, ( If I am not mistaken) , Chen Hong's victory will give LYB a hard time to decide on the two MS representatives for Sudirman Cup., Although Chen has been blamed for China's failure to retain the Cup two years ago, his performance in AE boosts his chance to be included . Bao has to prove his worth within these two months to fight for last berth , Lin Dan has presumably confirmed his place in the squad.

10. rwchen

rwchen Regular Member

A BBC's web site report

I thought Malaysia's Wong Choong Hann should be quite a popular figure in badminton arena, I can't believe that he is mistaken as a Thai in the report. I hope badminton will gain mmore popularity in England with their win in mixed double.

Quoted from http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/4344433.stm

British duo reach badminton final

[​IMG]

Gail Emms and Nathan Robertson beat Thailand's Saralee Thungthongkam and Sudket Prapakamol to reach badminton's All England mixed doubles final.

The British pair won 15-12 15-4 to set up a meeting with Danish duo Thomas Laybourn and Kamilla Rytter Juhl at Birmingham's National Indoor Arena.

"The noise was brilliant," said Emms, who won silver along with Roberston at the Athens Olympics.

China will fill seven of Sunday's 10 badminton finals berths.

Defending champion and world number one Lin Dan secured his place in the men's singles final with a 15-8 12-15 15-1 victory over Wong Choong Hann of Thailand. He will meet 2002 champion and 2003 runner-up Chen Hong, who beat seventh-seeded Lee Chong Wei of Malaysia 15-13 15-10. Women's world and Olympic champion Zhang Ning beat Japanese star Eriko Hirose 11-4 9-11 11-1 to book her place in the women's singles final along with third-seed Xie Xingfang, who defeated Mia Audina Tjiptawan of the Netherlands, 11-8 11-5.

11. madturtle

madturtle Regular Member

Well to that there might be a little explanation, that is Chen Hong is rather arrogant and less friendly compared to the others.

12. Anatolii

Anatolii Regular Member

THat is an unjust accusation. as many here in BF would give testimony, chen hong is neither arrogant nor less friendly than the rest of his teammates.

i don't know whence it was ascertained that he's less favoured by badminton fans, but we shouldn't base our judgement on the surface of things, nor should we be spreading such rumours when we're not even sure of the degree of truth in them. it isn't healthy.

13. madturtle

madturtle Regular Member

oh well each of us have our own opinions. but for me, i find the other players more approachable than chen hong. if he's in a good mood, he would even take pictures. but when he isnt it isnt very wise to go near him, for he would just ignore you. and that isnt a false accusation. im sure some would agree with me on that. and some of the statements that he issues really portrays his arrogance.

14. Simp84

Simp84 Regular Member

Student
    I dont think it is only his knee that is affecting his play...
    Look at the following picture posted by ants from AE day 4....
    Seems like someone has a soar back or waist? haha :D

Attached Files:

• 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      26.1 KB
      Views:
  15. peace

peace Regular Member

QUOTE : Chen Hong bt Lin Dan in three
    Chen Hong played steadily throughout the match, stepping up a gear after the first game. He attacked at the right moments, when the chance for Lin to retrieve is less. If he felt he cannot attack, he played the patient game, drawing Lin to all corners of the court. Meanwhile, Lin's attacks, though quite successful in the first game, was mostly ineffective in the rest of the match. So, having no choice he also played the patient game. And in this sort of contest, he gets frustrated very easily because his nature (fast and furious attack) is stifled. (We also saw this in WCH-LD match.) I think he's a bit slower than usual, probably impeded by his knee. His kind of game requires maximum speed and against a player like Chen Hong, he needed maximum fitness. During the podium ceremony, he fiddled with his knee straps as if to announce his reason for losing.

I guess so...maybe something happened with LIN DAN's knee...as the picture showed...but what happened with his knee? Anyone know?
    I hope it's not a kind of serious problem for him, because I really want him to win the next tournament he participate...
    Indeed he needs his maximum fitness. Maybe he is already tired after playing 3 tight sets on the previous 2 rounds against Lee Hyun-il in quarter final and agianst Wong Choon Han in semi final...

16. peace

peace Regular Member

Does anyone of you know how can I get the recording of AE Final and Semifinal and also German open Final, especially with LIN DAN playing...:D ..I really want to see it....or if anyone know also how to download it please tell me...

Thanks in advance

17. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Badminton star loses title
    From correspondents in Birmingham, England
    March 14, 2005

WORLD No.1 Lin Dan lost his title at the All England Open badminton championships when he was beaten in the final by Chen Hong, his close friend from the same province of Fujian.

China won four of the five finals overnight with only Nathan Robertson and Gail Emms, the Olympic silver medallists from Britain, snapping the streak with the mixed doubles title.

Lin looked well on course to atone for his startling first round failure in the Olympics when he won a relaxed and skilful first game, but unaccountably fell apart to lose 8-15 15-5 15-2.

Suddenly mistakes flowed from his racket and Chen hurried to 7-2 and to parity in only 15 more minutes, and the third game was a rout as Lin, who may have been suffering from knee problems, continued to look well below par.

Chen, who had reached his third All-England final in four years, regained the title he won with a far more spectacular performance in the 2002 final.

"I feel even more excited than when I won it last time," said Chen, who only woke up two hours before the final and had no time to practise.

"I feel it is a new era coming for me. I am mentally stronger than I was before.

"I feel that we are equally strong players and I won because I am a little bit mentally stronger today. I felt that Lin Dan also wanted it badly but that I had the upper hand."

18. jackson_ngo

jackson_ngo Regular Member

Yeah.. beaten by ronald susilo at the Olympic too:D

19. 02011953

02011953 Regular Member

My predictions were close, the exception being ChenH in the F and winning.

MS
    Even top players occasionally lose their way and LD's loss is one such occasion. He played quite badly in sets 2 and 3. I suspect that when he is behind he panics and tries too hard. No excuses. He needed the lesson - he's become too cocky.

MD
    A dream for Cai-Fu. 15 months ago, I felt that they would win a major soon; LYB said the same at the O' but he was too early. They've improved out of sight.There is enough variety and tactical sense which they kept througout, denying the Danes high shots and use of their height/reach and pressing on relentlessly with speed which the Danes could never match. Cai's wristy flicks were spectacular; Fu's 4-5 smashes into the body of Passke plus 3-4 into the floor winners. But Fu has to retune his serve - he served many short or in the net. Against Alven/Luluk these tactics may fail. At last China has a MD wordlbeater.

WS
    As predicted.Being left out of the WC & Olympics and LD's rise and courting her must have been a spur. Most women's game decline when they start an affair - Camila, Susi, Zhang - but not Xie.Considering that Zhang, Zhou and many earlier stars never won the AE, Xie's win on top of 5 others, is even more spectacular. Xie is the same age as Gong R and they were in the same WJC - Gong in S and Xie in WD and XD. Why and how did she switch into S?. Her being in reserve all these years makes you wonder about the girls in waiting - Wang Rong (too late) ChenLi, Jiangjianmei, LuLan, ChenLanting. Xie the next World Champion? This is Zhang's last chance, hence her tears. After the WC, if she doesn't go she is likely to be pushed.

WD
    As predicted,Gao/Huang continued to dominate Wei/Zhao. In the SF Gao/Huang won 17-14 from 9-13 down in the rubber. In the F, they won the 2nd set from 7-13 down. So they were better and much more determined.

XD
    It was an open field of about the same standard - some too young, some too old, others not ready.Robertson/Emms are not great but steadiest and credit to them for seizing the chance.

Impact
    1. ChenH (?), Xie, Cai/Fu and Gao/Huang will be No.1 in the next ranking list? 2. Sudirman Cup returns to China? 3. Xie the next WC? 4. Clean sweep at the WC?

Y

20. hcpoirot

hcpoirot Regular Member

My prediction about China Sudirman Cup players.

The easy one first:

WS : Zhang Ning and Xie Xing Fang

WD: Gao/Huang and Yang/Zhang

MD: Cai/Fu and Shang/Zheng

XD : Zhang/Gao and Chen/Zhao

For Men Singles, so many choices but I bet at LYB will pick Lin Dan (cause he is mentally strong in team competition judging from Thomas Cup perform last year) and Bao Chun Lai.

Why not Chen Hong?

The answer is easy. LYB can't play Chen Hong if they met Indonesian's Taufik Hidayat. He never won from Taufik once from their several meetings. Lost 3 times in Indonesia Open finals. Lin Dan lost to Taufik in last year Indonesia Open SF.

And of course CH lost to Lee Hyun Il 2 years ago in Sudirman Cup when at that time he was in his peak performance. Mental problem probably?

Beside, Bao Chun Lai had the best record from all Chinese player against Taufik Hidayat. He won more than lost from Taufik. Beside his mental toughness for playing team event had been proved after last year Thomas Cup final when he won against Kenneth J at the third set.

So when playing other teams beside Indonesia in Sudirman Cup, LYB will play Lin Dan. When play Indonesia, he will play Bao Chun Lai. The chances of winning point for Men Single are higher than he pick Lin Dan and Chen Hong as his players in MS.