Am i too late to become a proffesional?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by yeahehehehe, Jul 1, 2014.

1. yeahehehehe

yeahehehehe Regular Member

Hey all,
    It really dissapoints me that i've started badminton quite late. I started badminton on August 2013, but i only started training from a coach in February. I have a passion for this sport, i wish to compete in higher levels and in other countries. Im 13 now and its less than a year of me and badminton. What that surprises me is despite of me starting quite late, i can definitely challenge some local badminton players who started at age 9. They are 14 now. And i can beat some players who played for 3 years. I train every monday wednesday, friday, and saturday. My dream is to be a placer in the World Junior Championships, is it too late? Im quite depressed

Thanks

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    You can only try your best in training and in competitions and keep enjoying the game. :)

3. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    It's definitely not too late. If you have the talent, support, commitment and dedication to improve, you will get there. There are numerous sportsmen and women that started late in their sports and still managed to get to the very top of their game. John McEnroe is probably the most famous, he was still an amateur until very late teens/early twenties. He then went on to become world no.1.

4. icepilot

icepilot Regular Member

Commercial Manager
    Colin Haughton did not attend a performance centre until he was 15 years old, and he reached No.1 in the English national rankings and attained No.19 in the world.

Never too late to start, train hard and enjoy it.

5. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

Although Lin Dan started at age 7, LCW started at 11 and now I think LCW is poised to overshadow Lin Dan, at least in my mind. It's not too late for you! Also, my coach managed to place nationally in junior nationals after less than two years of training. Never give up hope.

6. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

You guys make it seem so easy :D. The first goal is to play in the WJC. Impossible: no but heavily dependent on which country as well but iirc it was Canada so probably not impossible :). 12 is on the late side but not one of those (imo) mission "impossibles" of starting at 19 and becoming a pro (depending on your definition of pro) in one of the top badminton countries ...

#6 demolidor, Jul 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  7. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    I started three years ago, at grade 7 and I started competitively at half of grade eight to nine, I train Tuesday Thursday Friday and Sunday , about 9 hours per session. I'm aiming for international too I'm still 15, is there a league you could go into ? It could help you? Here in Alberta, I'm going to play Junior Circuit in Alberta in badminton Alberta. These programs help you out, you should find some!

8. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    The odd is not on your side but amazing things do happen in life. If you have the drive and passion then why not. You may be an exceptional one. You will never know until you try. BCers will be happy to see your name on the starting list of the future WJC.

9. yeahehehehe

yeahehehehe Regular Member

Well, im still struggling to find the right coach for me. Well, i still got 5 years. 5 years to train, compete, get into tournaments, and get in the number 1 spot. Seems quite impossible. I hope im gifted like Taufik, he's my idol.

10. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

It strongly depends on where you live!

In Indonesia, odds are against you, even if you start at age of 5. Just because there are so many talents. And to be one of the best and be picked for WC is very unlikely, even for veeeery strong players.

If you're from Timbuktu, New Zealand or Mexico, it might well be possible to be picked (and lose badly in the 1st round of WC, but that's another story...;-))

(yes, I'm exaggerating, but you got my point...).

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    True. If it were somebody living in Indonesia or China, then it would be impossible. The competition is just too fierce.

12. Steve the noob

Steve the noob Regular Member

The possibility is quite real in Canada. Work hard, train hard, play hard. If you commit enough, you'll succeed (in Canada, anyways).

I'm not looking to become pro, but I'm hoping to play some tournaments outside of school with my club. I haven't been able to qualify for my clubs team yet, as the players there are better (and younger :( ) than I. Hopefully I'll be able to achieve this, and hopefully you will achieve your goals too.

13. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    Surviving Age groups badminton...

This is a period when development > results despite what parents may want from u.

You may win or lose a hundred tourneys in age groups but will amount to zero in open category.

Keep your head down and aim for the long term goals.

Becoming a professional depends more than just your skill. Its about your professional work ethic and your guts.

Get a good coach. One that knows their stuff regardless if they were a pro player before...

Don't let anyone especially your trainer grind you down physically n emotionally.

Learn the game. Love the game. Live the game.

Do this and you are half way there.

14. frederic

frederic Regular Member

Pharmaceuticals
    There is an English proverb goes that "Practice makes a man perfect". I think that you will be a professional player after much practice. Although you are late, but proper practicing will make you professional as soon as possible.

15. amleto

amleto Regular Member

curious, do you count those player's as professional? They surely wont be making a living from the sport...

16. HaoFung

HaoFung Regular Member

It's not about when you start but how much you train and how much support you get.

If you're from a top tier country supporting the sports, you will probably become much better than the rest but you'll never make it as the competition to represent will be much fiercer.

Becoming the best in the smaller nations will get you to WJC but then you'll just get trashed.

However, it's always worth a try. Carolina Marin made it so anyone can but dont ruin your youth and education for a low odd bet.

Before thinking about WJC tho, aim to win the local juniors in your own country first.

17. chili

chili Regular Member

marketing
    u can do it!!!

18. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    When I think about it, you can definitely do it if you have been training heavily in martial arts and can apply the breathing, footwork and armwork of your martial art into badminton.

and if you see LJB's video here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epc1ElKS82o&list=UUILTjkA1qtd37zmo6g9asVw

You shouldn't ask anyone if you can be a top player. The answer lies in yourself.

If you really want to do it, no matter how other people put you down, you can do it. If you don't, no matter how other people bring you up, you can't do it

#18 opikbidin, Oct 30, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2014