anime movies

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by aquaboi, Dec 2, 2005.

1. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

i dunno, i haven't watched one piece, like i said, still too much lying around to go through. but i'll leave it for now since the reviews are mixed. i'm thinking of watching dears next, hmmmm, they are cute! anyways, i do agree with modius on inuyasha though, it was starting to get a bit tedious in the end, i stopped watching/downloading about a year ago now ...

as for bleach, i thought the first 52 episodes or so were absolutely amazing, and i mean comparable to some of the best stuff out there. but after the aizen thing, well, the bounto stuff just isn't as good. i wish they would just get back to the real storyline. oh and i really wanna see what captain commander yamamoto can really do ...

2. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Not really, I've only watched a handful, beginning with Voltron Lions: Defender of the Universe when I was a wee lad and the latest, Azumanga Daioh. I'm very choosy in the animes I decided to spend time on especially after viewing the likes of RK and the OVA, Slam Dunk and AD - it has to match the quality, otherwise I won't. Had Onimeno-Kyo as well as Ninja Scroll, hated both.

I am, the only trouble is that I tend to veer towards the Lord of The Rings type epic, vast worlds, vast histories and legends - could finish at episode #587 if it were animated. ;)

Basically, no.

Based on my reading of James Clavell's fantastic Shogun novel, kimono refers to both sets sets of attire worn by male and female with difference in how it is sewn and worn. They are basically similar and usually made of silk imported from China.

Modern days usually refer to kimono as ladys' attire because it to us gaijin it seems that only the women (very small number) still wear it as an everyday attire. A male's version is normally worn during those festival, with or without the jacket called hakama.

Example: look at Battousai Hitokiri's dark blue suit. Put a wide obi with a thin sash tied in the middle, rip the wide pants so that it is a skirt - pull it close and tight.

That's a bad example yes, but to answer the question, no. :)

A light, cotton version called yukata is normally worn during summer festivals and bedtime.

#82 wilfredlgf, Aug 27, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2006
  3. modious

modious Regular Member

yeah Bleach is going downhill with the Bounto filler arc. But at least its not as bad as Naruto's.

4. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

hahaha, agreed .... have episodes 200+ for naruto been released yet?

5. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

Had Onimeno-Kyo as well as Ninja Scroll, hated both.

hmmmm, this is sacrilege ... however that's spelt. ninja scroll is a classic, i think 90% would agree that it's good. never saw onimeno-kyo though, so can't say. i do agree that RK, SD and AD are very good.

ok, i'll take your word on the kimono thing. do you speak japanese? always wanted to learn but have always been too much of an 'ahou' when it comes to languages ...

6. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    Ee, ah, a mistake there - Onimeno-kyo was Samurai Deeper Kyo. ;)

The downside as I've mentioned is definitely this : I watched RK before all the others so my expectations rose a little too high when it comes to wuxia/samurai-type animes, hence my utter dislike for Naruto and Kyo. Should the reversed had happened perhaps I won't be that critical. AD was a bit of a fluke plus risk taking and I won.

What about CGI anime for example, FF7 AC? Does it count as anime? Let's assume it does, so why do I like it so much? The very reason why it's so well loved all over the world - the story, the philosophy. Heck I'm still dicussing Tifa, Jenova, Tifa, Sephiroth, Cloud, Tifa, Kadaj, Tifa and Tifa with my friends. :)

No, I don't read Japanese but watching anime, Japanese movies, Asian novels eg James Clavell AND doing your own reading on Japanese culture can help. For some reason I've become quite aware of Kansai-ben in anime, listening in although I don't quite understand it, thanks to Kasuga Ayumu aka Osaka.

7. the_oro

the_oro Regular Member

pretty boring profile -_-
    yeah, i myself was getting tired of inuyasha a little bit in the end but i'd never ever say one piece is better than it. i think it's as long as it is cus there's so many jewel shard they need to collect, but i guess they could've just made naraku collect them all faster than he did

bleach is cool and i think the bounto arc's getting pretty good, cus now ichigo can use bankai in the real world, ishida is a real quincy again and rukia a shinigami but for some reason doesn't have her zambaktou (i really wanna see her release it)

you guys ought to check our fate/stay night, i think its greatness can rival kenshin's

wilfredgf, why'd you make me blue and modious red? but if i have a kodachi while he has a scimitar i'm happy :D

here's some fsn screenshots but i had to shrink them a lot cus they were too big, i tried to get the dialogue in there too but i don't know if you can read it

Attached Files:

#87 the_oro, Aug 27, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2006
  8. the_oro

the_oro Regular Member

the hakama's actually the pants not the jacket... i think the shinigami attire in bleach would be a good example of a kimono

9. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    Just depend on me to make a boo boo! :eek:

The jacket is actually called haori and yes, the hakama is the pants.

10. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

well, just goes to show how different opinions can be. i absolutely got so frustrated watching FF7AC, i mean the plot was strange, there wasn't time to build up any of the characters and all the guys from the original game just turned up at the end for the final fight! i was watching it at home with a friend who hadn't played the game, and i had to explain to her all night who everyone was! i admit the CGI is gorgeous, oh Tifa Tifa Tifa ... but i was dissapointed nonetheless.

and naruto before the fillers was brilliant, i saw RK first as well, but that didn't lessen my opinion of it. you should give bleach eps 1-52 a try, i think you may like it ...

11. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

fate/stay night looks good, i'll try downloading it when i get a chance. hmmmm, won't be for another month though, has the story finished or is it still in progress? i'm getting lazy, i prefer to watch stuff that's already done so that i don't have to wait and try to remember what's happened in the past .... oh yeah are they making the anime to the badminton manga?

12. the_oro

the_oro Regular Member

i definitely agree with you on advent children here, i just didn't want to say anything because of my arguement with one piece and everyone appeared to like ff7ac so i didn't want to start something else

i also agree with your opinion of naruto but i think you can take bleach a little further to maybe ep 59 or 60 where he beats byakuya

and fsn is finished, only 24 eps so no fillers and no chance of being too runny, you'll wish it were longer though. i hope they animate the sequel fate/hollow ateraxia

as for the badminton manga, they're most likely not animating it

#92 the_oro, Aug 28, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2006
  13. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    No arguments about FF7AC from me either as I think only fanboys will like the movie well enough, especially those who spent many, many hours reading and debating on the story. Yes, I got somewhat disappointed about Barrett, Yuffie et al appearing only at the end for one fight but what can you do man, the focus of the movie is not about them - it's about the three incarnates and 'Keraudo' and most especially the unfinished business of the previous engagement with Jenova/Sephiroth.

Too long to explain here why the movie was important, but suffice to say unless it/he's eradicated, everything will eventually rot - the crater battle in the game will be equal to a temporary win before the great defeat will come.

Ooh, and Tifa... :)

14. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Librarian, RacketsportsMontreal.ca owner
    Anybody ever watched Hajime No Ippo?

I think the badminton player can relate to the archetype of the weak kid who always got bullied who one day wanted to see what he could do.

15. modious

modious Regular Member

yeah Hajime No Ippo is one of the best sports anime alongside Slam Dunk.

Fate/Stay Night is good.

16. modious

modious Regular Member

I'm in a better position to judge which is better as I've watched them both. How can you say for sure which anime is better when you haven't even watched One Piece for a few episodes??

If you're talking about Animation, Inuyasha is clearly superior. Fight scenes wise, Inuyasha is also better at first but gets old quickly as he only has limited moves. One Piece fight scenes are more inovative and there are "logical explanations" on how Luffy activates GEAR 2. It may seem to resemble DragonBall's super saiyan etc but it is actually all part of the Devil Fruit Ability of Luffy's.

Many people who have watched Inuyasha felt it got too tedious towards the end but One Piece never fails to suprise and IS NEVER BORING.

I'm being very neutral as possible as I've watched both before. As I've said earlier, Inuyasha could have been better if they shorten it and removed the fillers. Story complexity, character development, entertainment value wise... One Piece is clearly better.

Please don't tell me Inuyasha character development, storyline etc is better when you haven't even watch One Piece.

In fact, One Piece IMO is on par with Naruto/Bleach (before all the fillers).

#96 modious, Aug 29, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2006
  17. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

haha, ok then, we'll give you importance. it may have helped if i had watched it not long after i finished the game, but then it's been what, 5-6 years since i played ff7? so i had forgotten most of the characters (cept Tifa obviously) and most of the storyline ...

maybe we should stop mentioning Tifa so often, makes us sound slightly perverted but then Tifa was a great character and Tifa really improved the game and storyline and Tifa's just grand ...

18. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

hmmm, looks like i have to watch one piece and fsn then, just so i know what all the fuss is about!

19. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    Of course being so damn hot in AC can help too... ;)

20. the_oro

the_oro Regular Member

how can i tell which is better if i only watched one? that's easy, because i was only able to watch one. one piece was so repulsive i couldn't stand to watch an entire episode, no not even one second

edit: as for inuyasha's limited moves, he actually has about 8 or so: iron reaver, blades of blood, wind scar, backlash, red tetsusaiga, adamant, co-op techniques with kagome and full demon or human. this is more than a lot of other characters like ichigo and naruto. ichigo only has getsuga tenshou, bankai and turn hollow and naruto, shadow clone, summoning, rasengan and kyuubi power

#100 the_oro, Aug 29, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2006