Any Good Racquet recommendations?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by IceLEMonTea, Jan 11, 2008.

1. IceLEMonTea

IceLEMonTea Regular Member

-
    Hi,

Iam 14 this year and I just started playing badminton about 9 months and I have broken 2 raquets already.1 of them was a rsl heat 7320 and a APACS nanopro 8800...
    I am currently not sure about my level but so far I can hit a baseline 2 baseline clear (only managed a halfcourt clear after 1 month break for school holidays) and some basic stuff.

ok...enough of the chit-chat

I am thinking of getting a raquet that is durable...good control and my budget is rm300...

Iam now looking at some of the yonex raquets like cab 20 ,cab 21 and others
    because my father has a cab 21 and it is older than me....

so any suggestions...

I appreciate it.

2. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

You did not say what was wrong about the 2 rackets you are currently using so it is kinda tough to give you any recommendations. There is also a template for asking this "ultimate question".

Why not just play with your Dad's Cab21 for now? You just have to restring the racket and perhaps wrap a new grip around it.

3. otterfun

otterfun Regular Member

financial analyst
    Hi,
    Any ideas why you broke 2 rackets in 9 months ?

Do you hit it on the floor, clash with your doubles partner, or are they not-so-lovingly-pre-owned from your friends & family ?

How about how you store it, transport it around ?
    Swinging it through air cannot be that harsh to break a racket.

So back to your question, I would go with weeyeh's practical advise. Or try your friends' rackets and see how they feel. Ask them for info on the strings, string tension, and racket stiffness to get a feel of what feels good for you before shopping for that particular category of rackets.

I changed the stringing tension of my mp21 and used BG80. It felt much better, at least for me. This is because the older factory strings were too loose and I cannot fine-tune the shuttle placement due to the trampoiline effect. After the increased tension on mp21, it goes where I want it to. Then I realized the shaft was a tad too felxible. Finally got my Cab30ms and it felt perfect for my swing and placement. It is strung 25# with BG80. BTW, 25# works for me does not mean it will work for you, please check with your coach or some experienced players on the tension that works for you. Hope this helps.

#3 otterfun, Jan 12, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2008
  4. cryptail

cryptail Regular Member

student
    Let's see... You broke 2 rackets... 2 options
    1 you had really bad rackets ( i don't know the rackets you mentioned)
    but probably:2 : You clash your racket sometimes. With your partner, or with the flour.

There are no rackets that can resist a hard clash with the floor, so you should try not to clash anymore, and not by an expensive racket because it will happen again.

I would suggest Isomtric 75 mf light. It's a good beginners racket for the price of 40 € and it won't break that easy.

Cryptail

5. NoName1225

NoName1225 Regular Member

buy any aluminum or steel racket, you'll break everything except your racket.

6. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Haha... go easy on the broken rackets lah :cool:... It is common for folks starting badminton to break rackets because they tend to
    • get the lightest rackets (i.e. >>4u)
    • clash a lot when playing doubles
    • mishit a lot
    • prefer isometric to oval frames :p
    I also overheard a case of the stringer trying to persuade a 4 ft tall kid not to string at 28lbs.

I was quite lucky when I was a beginner. The only rackets available are all steel :p and my B8200 survived all those clashes with everything including myself.

7. IceLEMonTea

IceLEMonTea Regular Member

-
    Oh, thanks for all the suggestions...
    Anyway, my father says I can't use his cab21 cause he says its "antique" lol so I can't use it....or I might break it lol.....

And I have another question...

I went to my coach's shop and there was a buy 1 free 1 promotion....
    and the racquet that had that promo is the APACS edge saber 7 and it was rm210 for 2! racquets.....2 edgesaber....and I heard it is a clone of yonex arcsaber 7 and its a new model...
    so I was wondering....is it too good to be true....rm 210 for 2 of those raquets....and somemore its my coach who is selling it..

Do you think its a total rip-off or should i try it cause " your fundemental and technical skills are much more important than a high-tech expensive racquet"

So I though I would get something affordable and good ...

Rather than a really exp racquet?

anyway....Should I get it or not?

8. chriz

chriz Regular Member

Student
    first of all, yonex rackets arent that great, only 2 or 3 series are actually good. might want to buy rackets from black knight, victor or hi-qua(my fav)

9. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Haha... Your dad is dead right about the Cab21 original. If I had one, I'll keep it from all harm too -- dun ask why.

I only tried 2 APAC racket -- the Nano 7700 (which I didn't quite like) and the Nano900Power (which I loved). I do not know much about the EdgeSabre but there are reviews in this forum that can help you. There is also an APACs fan club thread which should be useful.

Getting 2 rackets instead of one will allow you to have both a backup racket & to play with string tensions.