APACS fan club

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by clearng, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Razor-BladE

Razor-BladE Regular Member

Personal Trainer
    AVP and Lethal 110 delivered! :D
    Only 5 days from date of dispatch to my door in the UK :eek: very happy with the service.

Only the Lethal is strung so I'll have to wait a little before I can play with the AVP :(

Initial impressions are that neither feel very head heavy. Almost even balanced, feels similar to my T200. Not sure if that's because they are slightly lighter, so we'll see after having a play with it.

And I'm really confused with their flex rating. They say AVP is more of a medium flex and Lethal stiff, yet AVP says flex of 8, and Lethal flex of 8.5. The T200 has a flex of 7.5-8.
    One thing the stood out with the Lethal is that the shaft is really thick!

Another thing I just noticed is that when I shake the Lethal, it sounds like something is a bit loose inside the handle and at the top of the racket frame. Doesn't sound right. I'll fire the vendor an email to see what they say.

Oh, and I really like the colours and design on the AVP.

2. BBEdrummerAK

BBEdrummerAK Regular Member

Warehouse schlub
    The Nanospeed series is their Nanoray clones. I have a couple friends that have played with the Apacs Nanospeed 9900 and they've really liked it, though one has moved on to more head heavy racquets.

I believe the only 'original' line in Apacs' Nano series is their Nano Fusion Speed. I play with the lightest of that line, the Nano Fusion Speed 722. I personally love that racquet A LOT. Some of my clubmates think for as big and strong of a guy as I am (6ft and 220+ lbs...not built for singles play in other words ), I should be playing with a much heavier racquet..but I love how fast of a swing speed I can achieve with it, and the control is absolutely fantastic.
    The only reason why I got that racquet initially is because of a shoulder impingement I had experienced when I started playing again after a long layoff. The NFS722 allowed me to play through it until it got better...but I got used to the feel and play of it, and haven't really looked back. I experiment with other racquets but ultimately I go back to my NFS722.

3. xgumbyx

xgumbyx Regular Member

If you love the NFS722 you should also try the featherweight 500 for something similar or for power power the featherweight 300

4. BBEdrummerAK

Warehouse schlub
    I have had my eye on those. The 500 almost seems like it'd be TOO light...but oddly enough I want to at least swing one. Lol. The 300 is closer in specs to the NFS722, but probably a bit more stable and quality racquet. The one I'm really curious about (at least more recently) is the Ziggler 535...but it seems nobody has tried it yet, can't seem to find a review on it.

5. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    I moved from Slayer 99 to Feather Weight 300 and haven't looked back. I love the FW300!

6. xgumbyx

xgumbyx Regular Member

It's a sad day. Broke one of two FW300s today :(

7. leongwaipak

leongwaipak Regular Member

Accountant
    Is it any surprise to break these featherweight racquets?

8. xgumbyx

xgumbyx Regular Member

Well, it was during a clash so I can't really blame the manufacturing. The FW300 is a fairly wide body frame so I am a bit surprised. I've had clashes before with no bad results other than a paint chip. Just hit the right spot with the right amount of force I guess.

9. 1hotdr

1hotdr Regular Member

I have broke a couple FW 200's in clashes as well. But I've also had FW200's last over a year with multiple clashes and not break. Notably, I've also broken a Yonex Z-Force II only a couple months old during a clash: and the Z-Force is a heavy expensive racket. So any racket can break during a clash but I've decided I would rather have an $80 racket break than a >$200 racket break.

10. leongwaipak

Accountant
    Well I only play doubles socially so any shots that can be taken by my partner I'll leave for them and not risk the clash

11. hannster

hannster Regular Member

Principal Architect
    I was gifted an APACS Stern 90 Offensive... it's a great lightweight (5u) and slightly head heavy racket. Defense is amazing and attack isn't too shabby either, considering its light weight. Funny this racket hasn't been talked about much yet.

In fact it plays very similarly to my Arcsaber FB (perhaps better, cause i can wield it without the fear of damaging it!) and attacks much better than my Karakal BN60 (but of course, it's in a different weight class).

I've got the AVP, the Stern, a Nanoray Fusion Speed 722 and a Saber Light (clone of the Arcsaber FB). ALL of them are good, fast control rackets, and affordable too, with the Saber Light being a bit less stable (but of course, it is but a pretty clone).

The AVP probably makes me a better player than I really am... and it holds its place in my racket bag, along with the Voltric Z Force IIs and the Bravesword 12s!

12. Tantrum

Tantrum Regular Member

Woohoo! just got my Ziggler LHI edition :D
    Can't wait to try it out!!

Ziggler LHI.jpg

13. xgumbyx

xgumbyx Regular Member

One week, two broken FW300's :(

The first one (the one that is completely mangled) happened in a clash. I originally threw it in the garbage and came back two days later and it was still there and someone decided to abuse it which is why it looks the way it does. The first one was purchased in July of 2014.

The second one (the less broken one in the pics) was purchased January 14th and first played with January 23rd. This means I got 9 days of play out of it :( There were no clashes with the second one that broke. The break happened on a mishit where the bird hit the frame).

I am going to contact the seller and see if there is anything he can do regarding the second one, the first I can take blame for. That is one of the negatives of buying from Malaysia, warranty (if any) will be a pain if I have to ship anything back.

broken1.jpg

broken3.JPG

broken4.JPG

14. BBEdrummerAK

Warehouse schlub
    Laaaaame man! That second one would almost HAVE to be a manufactuer defect (I've never heard of a frame breaking due to shuttle contact via mis-hit!!) . My Nano Fusion Speed 722 has similar specs, and I've clashed multiple times (along with some accidental drops onto the frame), and some paint scuffing is about all I have. I may just have been lucky these last couple years as well. That totally sucks xgumbyx!

15. leongwaipak

Accountant
    What tension strings did you have when it broke?

16. xgumbyx

xgumbyx Regular Member

23 mains and 25 crosses on both rackets.

I contacted the seller I bought from on eBay and he requested pics to send to apacs but he also said that because of the place the break happened it is hard to prove it was a mfg defect. If apacs does accept it for warranty I'll have to ship it back to Malaysia

17. Sgt_Strider

Sgt_Strider Regular Member

It's going to be very expensive. I had to ship a racquet back to Hong Kong and it cost me close to $90 and that was by sea! Took like 6 weeks to get to HK. Fortunately I didn't had to pay for shipping the replacement back to my house.

18. doconbc

doconbc Regular Member

Doctor
    Hello everyone. Probably my first post on badmintoncentral.
    I'm back to the game after a break of 20 years. I started playing with a racket I had- Carbonex 8000. Having put on some weight and not so fit shoulders, I felt the Carbonex heavy. So in my search for a lighter racket I stumbled in on Apacs.
    I have ordered Feather Weight 500 + BG65 Ti Strings at 27 pounds tension which Ill receive next week.
    Any comments from the experienced players on my choice of racket, strings and tension?
    Thanks

19. kingskawn

kingskawn Regular Member

Somebody already tested the Apacs Z Vanguard II ?

20. 1hotdr

1hotdr Regular Member

I think it is a great racket. If you are worried about your shoulder maybe 27 pounds tension is too high. If you last played 20 years ago your rackets were probably in the 17-21lb range so that is quite a big jump. Too high of tension could affect your shoulder and it could reduce the power you have.

The FW 500 is already less powerful than a lot of rackets (though pretty powerful for how super light it is). I guess you can try it with the string you ordered, but if you are short of power or find you are getting a sore shoulder or elbow maybe try a lower string tension. You could also try a thinner string.

When I came back to the game after 15 years break I tried a few different things out and found I really liked the Featherweight 200 strung with BG-80 at 23 lbs. (The featherweight 500 is better though...). That is a good setup to ease back into the game and in a year or two you may be interested in heavier rackets and/or high string tensions.