Are you really sorry when you hit someone?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by nickuku, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Bandin

Bandin Regular Member

Student
    One time at a highschool tournament I was close to the net and I smashed the bird right into the other guy's face. It happened that I hit him right in the nose and his nose started bleeding. It wouldn't stop bleeding after injury time so I won the match by forfeit :eek:

2. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Guess you're lucky not to have taken out his eyes... won't want that to be on your conscience:eek:.

3. tranvi007

tranvi007 Regular Member

Student
    Opponent?

It depends on who i'm playing. Like some cocky SOB then no. But a mature athlete then yes.

4. Bluechalice

Bluechalice Regular Member

Its part of the Game

I personally think getting hit by a smash etc...is part of the game..getting into the game you yourself would have already agreed to it...
    Theres two types of play...friendly workout/fun game...where you move around a lot and smashes go to the ground...and then theres a serious but at the same time controlled game...I usually play the more fun games with people that wants a friendly PG rated game...and I play the more serious "smash to the faces" game when the opponent look like they want an R rated game with you...you can always tell...or get a certain vibe from the opponent...and hey I think its beneficial if you get lots of smashes aimed toward your body...it just makes you a better player...I used to train with my doubles partner for like 2 hrs a day and 1 hr would be just smacks to the face...like we would stand on opposite sides of the net like 8-10ft away from the net...and just start smashing and popping the shuttle towards each others body and face...like in a really fast pace...it really gets your adrenaline running...it makes the training exciting and at the same time makes you a better defender and attacker...
    Also in most of my past games...when ever I smash and hit my opponent in the head...they usually like laugh or smile and give me a look like "darn you got me this time...I will get you back"...which I though was very good sports-man/woman-ship of them...and I do say sorry everytime...its just a good thing...
    Ken

5. dpc1l

dpc1l Regular Member

I always apologise, and normally mean it. If the opponent has been making dodgy calls, illegal serves or just irritating me, I probably won't be sincere in my apologies! (not that I would then start aiming at them)

I have hit my partner twice, as well (that I can remeber) Once was about 8 years ago and the other was this year, but I'm not sure if I was at fault.
    Both times my partner missed a shot the from middle in front, and I went to hit a drive. They both had big red welts where the shuttle made contact, with one of them getting really annoyed and the other guy knew it was unintentional so brushed it off.

Thinking about these two incidents, I suppose whether I mean it when I pologise depends on their reaction to an obvious mistake.

6. OTFK

OTFK Regular Member

engineer
    For those who have played for a while, we all know getting hit is part of the game. However, hitting the face, IMO, will always deserving an apology or a gesture. I want to win by my abilities, not taking someone out by injury. This is a game, not a live and death struggle.

7. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

It depends on who my opponents are, I say sorry if I do not know my opponents just to be nice. I do not say sorry if I know my opponents very well, like my buddies. I do not say sorry if I do not know my opponents but I dislike them. In the last case, I would hit even harder towards my opponents' body. :D

8. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    just deopends on who im playing like if its with friends then i will say sorry once and a while and well i would mean it but when im playing a a game with people that i do not know then i always say sorry it just seems like the right thing to do but thats if there not being cocky or anything cause if they are im just going 2 want to hit them more but i would just sorry but i wouldent mean it its more like sorry i dident hit you harder but thats only if i dont like them or there being cocky.

9. Seonadancing

Seonadancing Regular Member

Yes, i'm sorry for hitting somebody, because most of the time i do it intentionally, not to hurt my opponent but to score. :eek:

10. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    How can you play badminton without hitting someone with the shuttle? Hehe.

I always say sorry when I smash someone.. but usually just for the sake of saying it. How much strength can there be in my smashes? Unless the person is really in pain.. like when I smashed into my friend's ear. Wow! I never knew a ear could turn THAT red! :confused:

In badminton.. being hit is part of it. My left eye got smashed at few months ago when training for a tournament in my school team. We were playing half court, 2 on 1. I was with my partner, I stood in front. No time to duck! Or maybe it was because I ducked that the shuttle hit my eye?

You mostly get smashed at when you're standing in front for doubles and for some reason or other don't split up/'square' when the shuttle is high at the opponents side.

Anyway in some games I've said sorry so many times you can hear it in my voice that I'm getting fed up with the sorries.

11. Robbo77

Robbo77 Regular Member

Accountant
    Shuttle hits person

Yeah I don't think a body shot hurts at all, it is after all a cork with some feathers in it. THe face, or head does hurt and you definitely apologise whether you like the opponent or not. My problem if you get a lousy partner who smashes you in the back of the head or ear, I really don't see how you can be that bad a shot!:eek:

12. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    lol it does not mean you have a bad shot i did that once but i though my partner would have ducked down when they cleared it to me...turned out i was wrong and he stayed up it would have gone over the net but he was just tall so it hit him right in the back of the neck well now he knows to duck when its cleared now. as for shuttles not hurting well i was hit with a dead smash right in the chest and well that actually hurt for a few minutes and was also hit in the knee that also hurt for a bit but i would rather that in the chest than the head. just depends on how hard they hit you thats all.