Asia Badminton Championship in Johore

Discussion in 'Continental Championships 2008' started by Noridayu, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Jessica

Jessica Regular Member

Student
    Well...For food,you don't have to worry..Around Paza Pelangi,there are a lot of good food as long as you bring enough money..:D:DDo you know what is mee hun kwee???There is one very famous mee hun kwee stall around Plaza Pelangi which everyday full of peoples.If you have chance,you must try it.Inside Plaza Pelangi also have many nice food.For recreation,you can go to Danga Bay at night.Danga Bay is very beautiful at night with all the lights and the interesting programme.:rolleyes::p:)

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Heard about Danga Bay. How far is it from NY Hotel. Any public transport to go there? :)

3. Jessica

Jessica Regular Member

Student
    I think you can reach there within 20 minutes...The best transport in JB is definitely taxi.You better don't put hope on our public bus because the service is very bad..:(:eek:

4. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    Is this stall near Lien Hoe Complex at Taman Sentosa?

wish there are metered taxis in JB :)

5. Jessica

Jessica Regular Member

Student
    Nop..The stall is around Plaza Pelangi..I think the Lian Hoe Complex one is quite good too..

6. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..haunted hotel??..

..who says one will feel hunkydory staying at a hotel called New York Hotel??..:confused: :rolleyes::p

7. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

You believe abedeng? BAM purposely choose a haunted hotel as the official hotel?!!!Anyway, it's gonna be a hot tournament and like Jessica said,JB's a great place.Some more, next to the venue is the Traffic Police Station but I think our PAW police is more powerful.

8. Louisa

Louisa Regular Member

y me again?????????????:D

r u sure PAW POLICE is more powerful????:p

9. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

looks like lee chong wei maybe will not come to JB to participate this ABC

from thestar.com.my

Thursday March 20, 2008

Badminton: Time off for Chong Wei
    By RAJES PAUL

PETALING JAYA: Top national men’s singles shuttler Lee Chong Wei (pic) can afford to take it easy.
    Now that he is in a comfortable position to be seeded second at the Beijing Olympic Games, the shuttler knows he can afford to take a short break.
    [​IMG] And that’s why the world No. 2 may skip the Asian Badminton Championships (ABC) from April 15-20 in Johor Baru.
    The ABC is the last tournament that offers Olympic qualifying points. The Olympic qualifying period ends on April 30.
    Chong Wei said he was mentally tired after competing in three tournaments – Thomas Cup qualifiers, All-England and Swiss Open – in the last 1½ months.
    His decision to skip the ABC, however, would depend on his coach Misbun Sidek.
    “I would love to compete in the ABC. It is a home tournament and I want to give the home supporters something to cheer about. But I am tired,” said Chong Wei.
    “It has been a hectic month. Right now, I feel confident with my position as the world number two player. I should be seeded second for the Olympics.
    “If I compete in the ABC, I would definitely want to go all out and that would require me to focus a lot. It could all prove too much – mentally. I’d rather save my energy and give my best in the Thomas Cup Finals.”
    Chong Wei is set to play an important role as the first singles player in the Finals which will be held in Jakarta from May 11-18.
    “But, having said that, I will let my coach decide. If Misbun wants me to just go there (to the ABC tournament) and sweat it out, then I will be heading south,” he said.
    Chong Wei also said that he was satisfied with his performances in the All-England and Swiss Open.
    “Last year, I made it to the top eight of the All-England and crashed out in the first round of the Swiss Open. This year, I reached the All-England semi-finals and finished as the Swiss Open runner-up. I have no complaints,” he said.
    “In the two tournaments, I defeated the main Asian countries’ top singles players, except for Lin Dan of China. This gives me the psychological edge before the Thomas Cup Finals.”
    In the All-England, Chong Wei defeated Olympic champion Taufik Hidayat of Indonesia.
    In the Swiss Open, he outplayed top players from South Korea and Denmark – Park Sung-hwan and Kenneth Jonassen respectively.
    Although his participation in the ABC hangs in balance, Chong Wei said he was certain to make the trip north to compete in the National Grand Prix Finals in Alor Star next weekend. Chong Wei is aiming to win the national title for a record seventh successive time.

10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    George, what are you doing up in KL?

Your Chong Wei will not compete in JB so you will not have a chance to see him in person.

Come with us to Jakarta for the TC. You can cheer LCW together with me and I will take a pic of you standing side by side with LCW. How about that? :D

11. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    LCW might go last minute... :)

12. cute_tbh

cute_tbh Regular Member

sorry to ask..maybe got the wrong thread, but i'm just wondering, before this ABC, there should be another homeground tournament in Kedah (if i'm not mistaken), rite?

when will it be held?
    will top shuttlers like LCW, CTF/LWW and KKK/TBH participate?

thanks..

13. george@chongwei

i also wants to take picture and meet him in person, loh..
    but on that week, im not able to come becoz i got a very important project to do..:mad:
    so sad that cant join u guys to there:mad::mad::crying::crying:
    maybe we can meet up in next year MO or ABC?:)

14. tjl_vanguard

tjl_vanguard Regular Member

Student
    George, you going over for ABC? I will be... shall we meet? :D

15. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Go, meet up with Jessica. If I decide to go, I'll meet up with both of you! But do let me have your contact numbers since I've never seen both of you before. :D

16. Jessica

Jessica Regular Member

Student
    Hmm..Uncle Loh,if you decide already you can tell me...We can meet up and will you treat me a meal???:D:D:rolleyes:

17. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Of course Jess, together with our young friend from Sarawak! :D

18. george@chongwei

hmm, looks like i havent plan yet:rolleyes:;)
    hehe:p

19. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Chong Wei might go for it ....

20. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Look's like Team INA is going to send quite a huge contingent, in prepartion of the Thomas Cup and Beijing Olympics points.

From today's Kompas:

Semua Pemain Didaftarkan ke Kejuaraan Asia
    "Every Player is listed to be sent to the Badminton Asia Championships" (but not necessarily sent eventually)

Some snippets:
    Ketua Bidang Pembinaan Prestasi PB PBSI Lius Pongoh mengatakan, perhitungan untuk mengirimkan atau tidaknya mereka, terutama Sony Dwi Kuncoro, sangat penting karena akan terkait dengan peringkat dunia sebagai indikator posisi mereka di tim Thomas.
    Seusai tersingkir pada babak pertama di Swiss Super Series, 11-16 Maret, Sony diharapkan bisa tampil maksimal di Kejuaraan Asia agar target utama peringkatnya bisa di atas Taufik Hidayat tercapai. Sesuai peraturan, daftar peringkat yang akan keluar 24 April akan menjadi patokan penentuan posisi pemain di tim.

Lius Pongoh stated that the decision of whether or not those players will be sent, esp Sony Dwi Kuncoro, will become important because it will be linked to their World Ranking, which will be an indication of their position in the Thomas Cup team.

After losing in the first round of the Swiss Open earlier this month, Sony is hoped to give his best in the BAC in order to achive the top target: his final ranking to be above Taufik Hidayat (good strategy!). According to the rules, the ranking list as of 24th April will become the eventual barometer of final order of players in the team.

Hal itu dilakukan agar Indonesia bisa mengamankan angka dari tunggal kedua melalui Taufik. Dengan kekuatan tunggal putra yang pas-pasan, strategi tersebut terpaksa harus dilakukan karena mendapat angka dari tunggal pertama saat melawan tim-tim kuat, seperti Malaysia dan China, akan sulit, termasuk seandainya Taufik yang menjadi tunggal pertama.

Dalam beberapa pertemuan terakhir, Taufik dan Sony tak bisa memenangi pertandingan melawan Lin Dan (China) dan Lee Chong Wei (Malaysia) yang menjadi tunggal pertama di tim masing-masing.

This strategy is to ensure that Indonesia can win the point from MS2 through Taufik Hidayat. With the quality of men's singles which is just barely similar, Indonesia has to rely on that strategy because it's virtually impossible for them to win the first point from MS1 when facing strong teams like Malaysia and China, including the scenario if Taufik is placedas MS1.

In the last few encounters, both Taufik and Sony could not win their matches against Lin Dan (China) and Lee Chong Wei (Malaysia), who will be the respective MS1 for their own team.

"Namun, jika Sony tampil di Kejuaraan Asia, hasilnya harus maksimal untuk menaikkan peringkat. Minimal Sony harus lolos ke final,” kata Lius. Lius mengakui bahwa strategi yang bagus untuk Indonesia sebenarnya adalah dengan menempatkan Sony sebagai tunggal pertama, Taufik di tunggal kedua, dan Simon Santoso sebagai tunggal ketiga.

Kepentingan berbeda di Kejuaraan Asia berada di tangan Flandy Limpele/Vita Marissa. Keberadaan mereka di sana adalah untuk menjegal peluang China mendapat tiga tiket Olimpiade di ganda campuran.

However, if Sony is to compete in the BAC, he has to at least reach the Final in order to boost his ranking, added Lius. He also admitted that the best strategy for Team INA in the Thomas Cup will be to field Sony Dwi Kuncoro, Taufik Hidayat and Simon Santoso as MS1, MS2 and MS3 respectively.

Flandy Limpele/Vita Marissa have a different objective in the BAC. Their task is to wreck Team China's chance of fielding 3 XD pairs in the Olympics.

Peraturan Federasi Bulu Tangkis Internasional menyebutkan, sebuah negara berhak atas tiga wakil di Olimpiade jika memiliki tiga pemain/ganda di urutan 1-4. Hal inilah yang harus dicegah Flandy/Vita. Apalagi, nilai mereka dengan Zhongbo/Yawen hanya berbeda 1.420 angka, sangat tipis untuk perbedaan nilai dalam peringkat bulu tangkis.

The WBF rules states that China can have 3 representatives if Xie Zhongbo/Zhang Yawen (ranked 5th) somehow managed to get into the last 4 through the BAC. This is something that has to be prevented by Flandy/Vita, especially since their ranking points differ by a mere 1420 pts!