Asia Earthquake and Tsunami - Our Support and Prayers.

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by bighook, Dec 26, 2004.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    the safest solution is to donate to well know organizations like the RedCross, WorldVision, UNICEF, and the ones where i provided the links.

these established organizations have the experience and resource to more effectively use your donated money.

2. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    YES I DID!! Went down to coles supermarket and dropped some money there (Undisclosed fee). And whenever I buy food / drink at a store and I see a donation box there, I ask for my change to be put there.

To Dill did schumi donate 5.2 million quid or 30 million AUD / USD. I heard 30 million but not sure of currency...

To Kwun, why doesn't Santi have her own forum :)

3. 2love2live

2love2live Regular Member

yes - to well-known organizations, and also a reminder:

but still - when you donate, check the URL for sure very carefully:

sometimes hackers make fake websites changing the original .org into .com, or redcross to rebcross to redcrosss, you know what i mean,

you definitely don't want to donate to www.redcrosss.org, or www.redcorss.org, or www.redcross.com, you know. or WWW.UNlCEF.ORG (the i in unicef is actually an L), so a lot of cheats like these are out there, can't be more careful...

4. Syaoran_Style

Syaoran_Style Regular Member

10 million USD$ =p
    at the moment he gave the biggest private donation in the world ... if that is not generous LoL

5. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    The biggest private donation to-date is not from M. Schumacher. The honour goes to an Indian woman, regarded as India's holiest guru, who donated US$23 million. However, her donation is only for the Tsunami victims in India, whereas M.Schumacher's is for all countries affected by the Tsunami.

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Fyi

http://www.doctorswithoutborders-usa.org/donate/

A Special Note Regarding Donations for South Asia Disaster Relief

Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) has received an extraordinary outpouring of support for the people of South Asia and we are extremely grateful. As you know, it is very important to MSF that we use your contribution as you intend it to be used. This is why we want to let you know that at this time, MSF estimates that we have received sufficient funds for our currently foreseen emergency response in South Asia.

Right now, thanks to the generosity of our supporters, our teams are on the ground providing assistance to people affected by this disaster [Click here for the latest update on MSF's work to aid the victims of the disaster in South Asia] and carrying out multiple assessments in the region in order to determine how MSF can provide the most effective aid to those in need. We will continue to assess our financial needs as the scope of our operations in the affected areas becomes clearer over the coming days.

We kindly request that you contribute to our general Emergency Relief Fund, which is enabling our quick response to the current disaster in South Asia as well as humanitarian needs in war-torn Darfur, Sudan, and elsewhere in the over 70 countries where MSF is working around the world. The Emergency Relief Fund provides a resource for MSF to draw upon immediately when a crisis occurs, allowing a quick response to events where the speed of our response is crucial to saving lives.

Please understand that your support is very important to us–it is the support of individual contributors like you that is enabling us to send our emergency medical teams and relief supplies so quickly to help the people affected by the South Asia disaster.

7. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

-

According to CCTV in Bandar Acheh the whole Chinatown was wiped out.

600 ethnic Chinese lost their lives whilst 6500 lost their homes

Of course the tragedy affects everyone equally,lets hope that they are not

left out.

There was a report in India that aid was given according to caste.

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    I thot the whole town of bandar acheh got washed out :confused:

India: correct. Also that the affected higher class is kicking the lower class out of their shelter. I think India outlaw the caste system but never bother to enforce it. Hopefully this highly publicized disaster would exposed the cronninism of these affected countries and induce some major changes.

#108 cooler, Jan 8, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2005
  9. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

I really am amazed at how many people/human beings so far have the compassion to help the needy esp. the tsunami affected areas. It just shows that humanity still exists in most if not all parts of the world.

But this whole tragedy is starting to rear it's ugly head..:p.

On the contrary, not to make this whole tragedy and good news seem useless, I am also equally amazed at how some/few people within the devastated countries doesn't have the same heart and compassion let alone. I'm sure some of us have read the recent news of some government fearing there would be corruption with the aids, esp. the monetary aids in Indonesia. And now there are reports of several clashes in Sri Lanka between their own people over some issue. And today, just read about how the government in Indonesia are fearing that the aid workers might be in danger against a rebel group there, which are thought to have already infiltrated the sheltering compounds of the survivors and reported there was a shooting in the compound ?!?!?!?!?! :confused: If it is true and is happening, then that's very shameful of them..I wonder sometimes, if that's really happening, then why should other countries basically volunteer their help to the people esp. in Indonesia.. :( Knowing that there are a few Indo people in this forum who are familiar with the 1998 horrible incident, I just wonder what kind of future will this types of country, country like Indonesia, have if this kinds of action goes on???.. :(

Anyway, sorry to all i sound a bit negative, Just ranting out my feeling today...

10. shasa03

shasa03 Regular Member

10% stuDent,30%dReaMeR,60% sHoPPeR =))
    yes it is.i dont even trust to donate when people in the streets are asking for money to donate to aceh.i heard some people here are even cruel enough to corupt the donation money.for the people in indonesia i suggest to donate by television,newspaper,magazines,radios.and i personally think its better to donate stuff(food,clothes,etc)besides the victim needs instant food&clothes i think its safer too.you dont have to risk coruption.

11. shasa03

shasa03 Regular Member

10% stuDent,30%dReaMeR,60% sHoPPeR =))
    im so sorry,, maybe this could help? pencarian orang : www.untukindonesia.com

it is incredibly hard to look for victims cause theres thousand unrecognized dead bodies and they have to burry so quickly cause disease are already spreading. and they just burry them like thousands at a time and that also means if there are family looking from outside aceh(it may take a while to get to aceh bcause i think the airport is closed) its almost impossible to look for theyre family.--this is the main reason i feel sO bad to the family victims that are alive or the people that survived the accident cause for the people who doesnt get the information about theire family it will remain mistery.they will never know if they: are still alive(if they got seperated) and they are in a diffrent shelter or if theyre kids (0-5 year old) are dead OR Adopted.many people in indo are taking advantages for selling the kids.they just happen to take the babies(i mean the parents babies might be alive or the babies families who survived the accident can adopt them)some of the people admitted to be the families of the babies i think it means kidnapping..lately in indonesia an organization for adopting is accused for selling babies legally.so im afraid that some people are taking advantages to admit they are the family and then they sell it.
    it is also terrible that in indonesia the dead bodies are even more than the dead body plastics(i think:confused:?)and they ran out of it..
    you know(i dont know if its just me&my mom)but indonesia obviously has the highest number of dead victims but in international channels such as cnn they dont show the condition in indonesia as much as the other countries(that has lower number of dead victims) its not that we are looking for simpathy or more donations but i mean in here its very worst.we ran out of dead body plastics,some of the shelter even gets the food very late,no clean waters,there are still dead bodies waiting to be buried,some dead bodies are still found in buildings that means the number of victims can still increase,and aceh is not even available to live for min. 5 years.for me imagining where will they live or food.and health.
    recently one of a women activist in aceh refused for the kids to be adopted and that they will still live in aceh.the reason they dont want the babies to be adopted is that they want them to inherit the aceh culture,speak their language,continue the aceh traditions,and still live in aceh..

12. Santi Wibowo

Santi Wibowo New Member

Hi J? thanks for your support. I entirely agree with you. for us all our meaning is to help them. salam kenal dari swiss.

13. jkusmanto

jkusmanto Regular Member

Computer Analyst
    There are so many help arrived in -especially- Sri Lanka and Aceh.
    People from whole over the world send their help to the tsunami's countries.
    I just hope that all the aid can reach the victims who realy need.

Santi, Check your PM please !

14. Kamen

Kamen Regular Member

Self-Employed