Asics Gel Blast 6 - Any professional players using this? Do you have a review?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by Mark Arcsaber Fan, May 7, 2016.

1. Mark Arcsaber Fan

Mark Arcsaber Fan Regular Member

Hi Folks,

I am currently using Yonex SHB 01LTD Badminton Shoes, and have had it for more than a year now. I think they are really good shoes but I play 3 times a week and want to give them time to dry.

I am now looking at Asics Gel Blast 6 shoes, having had the chance to try them for size once. They felt great and was like a shoe glove as it fit really perfectly. I been wanting one ever since and wanted to ask the question whether any professional players are using it?

And whether any of you using it has a review for it? Is it worth the money? Where did you buy it from and would you buy them again etc etc.

Thanks guys.

2. jerby

jerby Regular Member

I tried these on for one session, coming from victor 9200's (and 920's and 80's) but also gel blade 4's and some adidas shoes, they felt pretty heavy, but also very sturdy.

I'd say the cushioning is 11/10 for badminton, the toe box is pretty solid (a good thing if you ask me). But to me they were kind of sluggish, in the end the shoemaker who does my inlays told me to stay away from them as the shoe forced my ankles to pronate slightly (which I'm already prone to).

As for, "what do the pro's wear"? I wouldn't worry about it too much. Most world class players are sponsored by a brand who also makes shoes (Yonex, Victor, babolat), whether they'd still play on those shoes if they weren't sponsored is anybody's guess.
    Asics is a darn good brand that makes excellent shoes, most pro's I see wearing asics opt for the Gel Blade's or the Gel Beyond's though.

3. Mark Arcsaber Fan

Thanks a lot Jerby. How about the Victor and Adidas ones you used? I have seen quite a lot of models come out over the years it is hard just to keep up with them. So which models did you use and how do you rate them?

I play a lot of badminton on some not so great surfaces, ex indoor basketball courts for 3 hours odd, and don't care how much I spend as long as my foot doesn't hurt at the end of the session. I want good padding, shock absorption and want my knees also to be protected.

The Yonex shoes is doing a fine job of that but lately when I land heavily after a jump smash I do find my forefoot hurts. I have never had Asics shoes so it would be interesting to see what they are like. What are your thoughts?

4. jerby

jerby Regular Member

I'm a habitual shoe-wrecker, so I've tried a whole lot of shoes. I've also changed sponsors couple of times.
    I wreck most shoes because I sweat a lot, don't have the most subtle footwork and play a couple of times per week on a pretty ok level.
    Here're the shoes I remember, reverse chronologically:

Victor 9200: most stable shoes to date and lasted me the longest, if these shoes had the rubber on the inside like the 920's they'd be perfection for me
    Victor 920: pretty darn good shoes, had one pair and loved them, rubber on the inside of the toebox is wonderfull stuff. lateral stability is gone now after so much use, but was good while it lasted.
    Victor S80: comfortable and good dampening, but not enough lateral stability for my taste (I broke through the sides of these a couple of times)
    Victor LYD: a bit too wide for me, good cushioning and comfort, glue started coming out of the seams so had to switch
    Asics Gel blast 6: felt like I stood 5cm of the ground, great cushioning and built like a tank (weighs the same as well), but my insole-guy said they don't fit my feet well.
    Adidas Quickforce 7: best of Adidas badminton, had to switch because I switched sponsors and they cost quite a lot
    Adidas QF 5: good comfort, more so than the feather, broke two pair on the outside (near my little toe) for unknown reasons, had to swithc because they were unavailable
    Adidas BT feather: Maybe best Adidas shoes they made, had to switch because they were unavailable
    Adidas feather (light, yellow ones): never buy these, terrible dampening and lateral support, felt like I broke out of them at every step.
    Asics Gel blade 4: just as good as the 3's, But got a weird pain in my foot from them so had to switch.
    Asics Gel blade 3: best asics I had, shame they stopped making them. Nice low to the ground shoe, felt like I moved well on court, good lateral stability
    Asics Gel beyond (3 I think): Great cushioning, okay stability. I broke two pairs dragging the inside of my left shoe (right handed player).
    Yonex SHB 92: somehow kept wreaking these at the sides. Good comfortable shoes, good dampening, not too good lateral support
    Yonex SHB 86: Actually I remember these being pretty darn good, can't remember why I switched. Nice and stable allround shoes.
    Yonex F1's: These ultralight shoes were a bit more narrow than I was used to, but terrible cushioning and lateral support. Love the lightweight stuff, hated the durability

HunglikeAbull and Veldaga like this.
  5. Mark Arcsaber Fan

Thanks a lot Jerby. You have given a great overview here and it has helped me and hopefully others who might look at it in the future.
    I have started looking at the Victor and Adidas models you have mentioned as they are available here in the UK. So who are you sponsored by now?

The Victor shoes you mentioned 920 I am guessing is the SH-A920. They are about 90 pounds here in the UK. How long did they last you? If these are the right ones.
    http://www.directbadminton.co.uk/sp...r-sh-a920-court-shoes-(blue)?ProductID=25222#

thought the Adidas Quickforce 7 are only about 60 pounds in the UK. Which one did you prefer?
    http://www.directbadminton.co.uk/sp...es-(white-semi-solar-yellow)?ProductID=20214#

Thanks again for your time and help. Wish more people would give their thoughts on this post.

6. jerby

jerby Regular Member

Sorry for the super late reply, If you can find QF7's for 60gbp go for it. At equal price I'd say it's a toss up, the A920's lasted me 3/4's of a season using them on and off. I had to switch because they only had one pair in my size at the time.

I just now noticed I said I tried the P9200's. That's incorrect, it were the older 9100's. (can't wait to try the 9200's).

At the moment I'm a Victor player, hoping to stay one for a longer time than I was with adidas ;-)

7. Mark Arcsaber Fan

Thanks again Jerby. I need to check what size QF7 would fit me so need to find somewhere to try it first. Unless you know what the equivalent size of Yonex UK size 9 is for Adidas.

My YonexSHB 01LTD is still going but given that I play 3 times a week I do need an alternate option.

8. Mark Arcsaber Fan

Hello Jerby, I want to look at buying adidas badminton shoes and wondered if you had the chance to use any of the new ones yet? Also can you give an idea on the size as in does the same size of Asics or Yonex be enough for Adidas? Should I buy half a size bigger or smaller etc.
    Please reply back when you get a chance as am quite keen on getting a good pair of adidas shoes.

9. jerby

jerby Regular Member

sorry can't really help you.
    After the 9100's I switched to the 9200 and have to say they've lasted me longest of all the shoes I have owned for the past years.

10. Mark Arcsaber Fan

Thanks for the reply. I can't find 9200 on my usual site so give me an idea of the size of Victor please. As am buying online just want to understand in comparison to Yonex how do they fit? do you have to buy half a size smaller or bigger etc?

Also on the 9200 is it VICTOR SH-P9200? And what is good about it? How do you find the cushioning? Give a few feedback comments please.

Thanks in advance for your help.

#10 Mark Arcsaber Fan, Apr 18, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  11. jerby

jerby Regular Member

Yeah it's the SH-P9200, I've had the white/yellow/blue and the purple/yellow.
    I can't really do a size recommendation, always tricky over the web. But for Victor I've been a 45.5 for all types, yonex usually 46, asics 46.5.
    other people say they order same size for yonex/victor, so can't really help you there.

Generally speaking, it's just as stable as the 9100 (good), has an anti-abbrasive insize like the 920's (great) and good grip. It's a sturdy stable shoe, however it also feels slightly heavier compared to other models (like gel blade 5's or Victor S80's).

12. Mark Arcsaber Fan

Thanks a lot Jerby. I now need to make a decision between Adidas and Victor ones. I am not sure I want to go back to have a heavier shoe now as the Asics Blast 6 are already quite heavy. Will post back in this forum to ask people about the Adidas shoes they have used, as the QF ones are not the top ones out at the moment and cannot find the QF 7 ones in the online shops I usually look at either.