Astrox 99 vs Astrox 88D

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by AznDude, Sep 17, 2018.

1. AznDude

AznDude Regular Member

ya theres none around where I am.

I've played with the 3U and 4U voltric 80, to be honest i can't really tell the difference in my overall performance. the 3U is obviously heavier, but i'm not sure how that translates into performance in game. neither racket seemed too heavy or made my arm tired

2. robinc

robinc Regular Member

The difference between 3U and 4U AX99/88d is 5g. General speaking, heavier rackets are mostly preferred by players who have much stronger wrists and therefore can make use of the weight of the racket to extract more power from it.

If there is no difference in your shutter's performance from 3U vs 4U racket, it simply means you are not in the 3U category. However, it doesn't stop one from using a 3U racket to fulfill one's ego.

Can't really speak on behalf for those who choose 4U rackets, but there is an old saying that let the player be better than the racket and not the other way round. Unless you have formal training and established a good foundation, most recreational players will not benefit much from a high-end racket. However, it is your money and let no one stop you from getting the racket you desire even when you are not able to maximize it.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

dtjovan likes this.
  3. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

If someone doesn't feel a difference between 3U and 4U, what's the reason to go for the (more fragile) 4U version?

And weight is not only about power. I get more than enough power from a 5U racket (and the sound is awesome, because it swings so fast), still I changed back to a head heavy 3U racket despite not gaining (much) more power. For me, this was about timing, control, feeling, ...

4. robinc

robinc Regular Member

Everything being constant, a 4U racket being lighter in weight will be less demanding to swing, therefore, better in energy efficient than a 3U racket; at equal performance, wouldn't it make sense to choose the more energy efficient racket to compete in the court rather than carry deadweight? That, i will argue as the main reason to go for a 4U.

The difference in weight indirectly affect timing and control. The fact that you noticed a slight gain in power, switching to a 3U racket (Assuming is the same model) demonstrate that you are able to extract power from the heavier racket. For Yonex high-end rackets, minimum weight class is 4U. Some model like DZS is 3U & 2U.

In my opinion, weight is about power. For players looking at HH rackets, i would say they are incline to attacking playing style. Therefore, it make sense for a player to upgrade into a HH heavier class to gain competitive advantage, as the player has developed the abilities to capitalize the benefits while absorbing the cost of heavier weight without losing speed.

insanity likes this.
  5. speCulatius

In what Universe is a lighter racket more energy efficient? Since you started it, here's some basic physics on collisions. It starts not being about energy, but about momentum. If you understand the very basics, it's obvious that with a heavier racket, you can swing slower to get a faster shuttle. You can do this (the math) using the kinetic energy, but it will yield the same result, it's just more complicated. The only way a lighter racket can be more energy efficient is when the muscles work more efficiently at higher speed. Do you have why prove for this being true?

Obviously, the "deadweigh" (it's not) doesn't make a difference here.

So we're back at a point where it doesn't make a difference and you got me started, so here's some reasons to go with the heavier racket:
    • slower swing speed is more efficient considering aerodynamics (force related to the second power of the velocity)
    • with training, you can achieve the same swing speed you get with a lighter racket yielding more power
    • slower swing speed makes timing and thus control more easy
    • more material used will yield a more robust, more durable racket
    • ... do you need more?
    If carrying 5 more grams tires you out too much, I suggest you to eat one bite less (just once, not everytime you eat), drink one sip less or just get a haircut. ;)

I really hope you can enlighten me why a lighter racket is more every efficient. :) You started the physics discussion, now please do the math. I'm eager to learn (maybe I'm missing something)!

I think we agree that most of it is personal preference, but when someone doesn't feel a difference, I seriously don't see a reason to choose the lighter racket.

todjo likes this.
  6. robinc

robinc Regular Member

The context:
    Player, regardless of 3U or 4U, same performance, why use 4U?

Since player received same performance here, the choice of 3U and 4U is a matter of preferrence and i agree. But the question raised was why use 4U in such context? Such context unfortunately, from my experience falls under an extremely inbalance game, whereby a player is not exhausted physically because the player is so good that he/she can resolve without breaking a sweat, all the play from the opponent. Why even bother to crack your head on which class of racket to choose?

I provide an answer to why choose 4U in this context. It is your prerogative to disagree and it is totally fine with me because to begin with, there isn't a need to choose, at least from my perspective.

7. speCulatius

This is pretty ignorant
    • towards people with a different body than yours
    • towards me, because you completely ignore the points I made and ignoring my effort to explain it
    Again. When hitting the shuttle, you want to transfer energy/momentum to it using your racket. You need to transfer the same amout of energy for the same stroke, no matter what racket you use. Using your explanation, we should go extreme and use zero gravity racket aka air. You might think this is stupid, but that's the limit of your train of thoughts, you just stop it before that for no reason.

And again you make assumptions without saying them. For example, you assume that a quick movement with less weight is less tiring than a slower movement with more weight. Also, you assume that the bigger shock on the muscles with a lighter racket when hitting the shuttle doesn't have any effect on them. Since you ignored everything I wrote so far, I won't dig deeper now. If someone else wants to reply and have a nice discussion, I'll be happy to join in again.

8. ownz.uno

ownz.uno Regular Member

Tried both my friend 4U racket not in game but just normal stroke, def and smash..my summary:

Pack of power for both racket,
    88D is slightly faster dan 99
    99 has more solid feeling than 88D
    99 is tiring my hand more..

Overall both are good rackets, but If I want to buy my pick will be 88D. :)

9. Arif

Arif New Member

My 1st racket is lining n9ii 3u.
    - very good at smashing
    - good at defending

2nd racket is astrox 88s 3u
    - i can feel that i can control the racket perfectly but when it comes to smashing i would say my lining is way better.

3rd racket is astrox 88d 3u
    - slow in defending
    - lack in smashing
    - i feel so tired using that racket

I would love to try astrox 99 4u
    - please give some advice.

insanity likes this.
  10. frostcone

frostcone Regular Member

Anyone able to post their 88d/99 head weight? I heard sometimes 88d feels more heavy than 99 due to the qc.

11. Victor68

Victor68 Regular Member

I have 3 yonex and 1 of them is astrox 88s a new addtion to the family. Between voltric 70, voltric 80 etune and 88s, intead they are different. So, the racket does play a different , that is what i am trying to bring the point across.

As to which is the best. It is the player himself to determine.

12. Westcoast

Westcoast Regular Member

Is your 88s 3u or 4u how does it compare to VT70 original defence speed attack power wise?

13. Victor68

Victor68 Regular Member

Mine is 3U. I can't feel power but I can feel speed and control. Overall, I muzt say it is the best of the 3. But of course it is also the most expensive.

14. AznDude

AznDude Regular Member

I have a question. lets say I am comparing 88D 4U vs 3U.

4U is lighter than 3U. does anyone know where is it lighter? its lighter by ~5grams, is that distributed throughout the racket? or in the head? or in the handle? etc

15. frostcone

frostcone Regular Member

After trying the 88d 4u, it was easy to use and not tiring. I am now deciding which one is easier to use and has more meaty clears/smashes?Astrox 88D 3U or 99 4U?

I think 4u is lighter throughout the frame and head.

16. Michel Aupin

Michel Aupin Regular Member

Try them if you can. In my case, smashing with 88D 3u is very easy but my smashes are stronger/faster with 99 4u... Weird but that's how it is o_O

17. frostcone

frostcone Regular Member

So you mean clearing is also easier with the 88D 3u?

18. Michel Aupin

Michel Aupin Regular Member

I think it is easy with both. They are quite similar in many departments

19. dtjovan

dtjovan Regular Member

My 99 4U vs 88D 3U short review.

HH: 99 >>> 88D
    Stiffness: 99 = 88D
    Smash / easy to generate power: 88D > 99
    Smash sound: 88D > 99 (sound a little muted)
    Defence: 88D > 99

IMO, 99 is very much like a faster version of ZF2. I would only recommend
    1) Advance Players with explosive swing speed and
    2) for singles game only
    for 99.

88D may no instantly improve your smash as it still require very fast swing (of course timing / sweetspot etc). A pretty fast 3U racket for doubles game.

#39 dtjovan, Jan 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    decoy and visor like this.
  20. laistrogian

laistrogian Regular Member

Student
    I mean heavier racket will always generate more momentum but that’s considering the player’s arm can still generate the same swing speed and he / she didnt mess up the timing.